The purple hatchling ran through New Trismus, looking at new goodies on the consigner, pestering the ever-talkative Pratt, and exploring, learning, and growing as his trainers asked. He was still unnamed; the other of Aerioch’s and Nidhogg’s brood, he had fallen asleep before a name could be decided upon for him. Though not having a name had certainly plagued him as he grew, many of his trainers mysteriously referring to him as %N%, it did not prevent him from completing almost all of his tasks and he was soon to leave New Trismus as his main training grounds.

His frantic snuffling and exploring drew warm, deep laughter above him. The hatchling turned around and looked for it, and then seized his eyes upon a large, blue-steel dragon perching precariously on the thin beams holding up the roof on which he lazed. The hatchling immediately cowered a little, not at this dragon’s presence, but the only memory he had of a dragon on that roof, a strange pink one that had thrown small white balls of cold at him. This one, however, did not have a large stack of the white balls next to him and was smiling brightly. “Hello little one,� the ancient said.

“Hello! Who are you?� chirped the hatchling.

The large blue stretched his wings and flew down from the roof, wiggling his tail and haunches between the bank and tavern, tell-tale ruts long pressed into the wood and plaster by this dragon many times before. He took a deep breath to introduce himself. “I am Maekrux Vythulhar, a Keeper of History also known as Ulhar Ausixen, the Blue Phoenix and one of the Three Helians of Harton Valley. I have been described as a serial hatchling nuzzler and the kedetea’s mew, but above all I am dragon.� He smiled and nuzzled the hatchling. “As are you. And who are you, little one?�

“Wow, you have a lot of names. I don’t have any,� the purple said.
Maekrux tilted his head. “Why not, little one?�

“My a’mea and a’meo haven’t given me one yet,� he said. He looked up at Maekrux, sniffing at this strange, huge dragon, even larger than his a’mea or a’meo. He smelled something familiar in this one, like his a’mea, but different somehow, and he was greatly at ease in this dragon’s presence. Pressing his purple against the blue scales of the ancient, he lay down and churred softly.

“You are a loving one, for certain,� Maekrux said. He too, felt a strange, deep connection to this hatchling, but he had not been able to see his grandchildren yet; he did not realize the hatchling lying against him was actually his grandson. “Well, what do you think your name should be, little one?�

“How can I choose?� the hatchling asked.
Maekrux chuckled. “Well, what do you like?�
The hatchling thought, his tongue pressing out of his mouth and up against his muzzle. “Um. Everything?�

“Oh come now. How do you fight?�
“I use my tail and my claws and my spells and I breathe fire! Want to see?� the hatchling asked excitedly.

Maekrux laughed and shook his head. “You can show me later when there is less chance of burning down New Trismus.� In reality, Maekrux was thinking about burning down Pratt himself, as the steward loudly conversed with his consigner and pawnbroker usually in the middle of telling a story to the little ones.

“Aw, but I’m really strong! No one can beat me!� he exclaimed.
“A little spitfire, eh? Don’t let your pride go to your head.�
The hatchling lowered his head. “Sorry.� Another thought occurred to him. “What about your name? Does it mean anything?�

“Axun, aorban. My name means Leader, though the actual word is a little corrupted I have found,� Maekrux said.

“Leader? Does a name always have to mean something?� the hatchling asked.

“Well I suppose not, but names convey power, little one, so they should try to convey meaning too.�

The hatchling thought about the slew of names and titles the ancient had said to him. “What does Ausixen mean?�

Maekrux smiled. “It means ‘Phoenix’ little one.�
“What’s a phoenix?� The hatchling had not heard that word before.

“A phoenix is a legendary bird of flame. It is said that phoenixes once lived in Char in the earliest days of Istaria, when Drulkar and the other gods still walked upon this land. They were like, mm… birds, dragons perhaps with only wings and hind-talons, except they were made entirely of fire! They lived one hundred years before their flame burned out, and then they would reduce to ash. But from those ashes would the phoenix rise again, refreshed, renewed. My father told me this legend when I was a hatchling, and I seized upon it as I grew older. I created a guild with its name and took the name for myself. But today, little one… Phoenixes are just a legend. The only phoenix that still exists is probably me, always rising to try one more time.�

The hatchling churred happily. “That’s like us Gifted, right? Always getting back up? I want to be called Phoenix, too!�

Maekrux laughed. “I suppose so, but it is more than simply being unable to die, little one. Perhaps you will understand that as you grow older. Mm. How about we call you Ausixen instead? Might as well use some elder draconic, axun?�

“Axun! Axun! Ausixen!� Ausixen exclaimed. He hopped around happily, calling his own name.

“That’s the spirit!� Maekrux exclaimed, laughing. He nuzzled Ausixen as he came to a stop, churring happily. “I will be keeping my eye on you, aorban Ausixen. If you need anything, feel free to ask me. Explore, learn, and grow, mm?�

The hatchling nodded rapidly and thanked Maekrux before rushing off, looking to tell his trainers his name. “Bye, Leader Maekrux!�

“Call me Keir Elder!� Maekrux shouted, but he didn’t know if Ausixen had heard him. This all seemed somehow familiar to him. When Maekrux had been a hatchling, he had reacted almost exactly the same way to the story of the phoenix. Those decals he had been birthed with did seem like the rich blue-steel of his own. The large dragon shrugged his wings and returned to his perch on the tavern. After all, perhaps it was just the right time and the right place for this hatchling. It certainly was for him. “You have a bright future ahead of you, little one… I will be near, ready if you need help.� And so Maekrux churred gently, rested his head on the thatch, and waited for the next hatchling to run by him.