Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do YOU find fun?

Default What do YOU find fun?

I would like this thread to focus on what YOU as a player find fun.

What is it about Horizons that keeps you playing here and not spending
    your time in some other game?

My hope, is that the Devs will see what WE like and work hard to move in the direction that pleases the majority of players.

For me, it is working together towards a common goal. This was especially true when we had shard wide building and defending events. I know that those are the really hard ones to pull off and take a lot of time design and put in, but I truly believe that if we had a nice event like Feladan ( maybe old Rachival? ) it would go a very long way in getting new players to subscribe.

I am happy that the devs already understand the need for fun over drugery, and hope that they will continue to focus more on fun and less on slowing folks down. At this late date I think the need for artificially imposed grinding to keep us playing longer has outlived it's purpose. We are going to keep playing anyway, let's just make it more fun

So what are YOUR thought? What is FUN to YOU?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Re: What do YOU find fun?

The crafting and the dragons.

For some reason the craft just seems... complicated enough without being overcomplicated, and I love the fact that you can customise it all (colour + techs) without having to spend years playing the game just to get one stupidly hard drop (though sometimes it feels like it with comps!) I like the fact you don't HAVE to adventure in order to craft, and vice versa (unlike other games eg. WoW must be adventure level x to get above craft level x). Plus I love the fact you literally build your home, rather than the UO way of doing it, fun as it is, where you just 'design' it in a Sims-style way and then *pop* its all just there as long as you had the gold.

The dragons... well duh. You can fly, you can do some amazing quests (RoP, ARoP) and you get to shape lairs!
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

For me, what keeps me coming back to Horizons is the diversity and uniqueness of the class system. I frequently find myself looking at class ability pages to see all the numerous goals to work for (I scored high as an Achiever), and skills to look forward to using.

Another thing I enjoy is that while the adventuring and crafting sides are dependent on each other, they are also two clearly separate sides to the game. I like how if I'm not in the mood to fight monsters, I can simply just craft and still boost my character.

Hopefully, as the performance improves (and hopefully my Internet connection), the heroes of Istaria can take part in more epic battles. That was what drew me to Horizons in the first place. Large-scale battles are very exciting to me as an RPG player, but they happen very rarely. On a good note, I was able to actually fight in a big scuffle in the NT blighted area against 6-8 mobs at once with no real lag, even on dialup! The improvements are definitely coming.

Roleplaying, especially as a dragon.

Exploring, gradually filling my map with markers.

There's another quality about Horizons that captivated my interest, which I can't quite describe...
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

The crafting is first rate. Gathering the materials gets old from time to time but you can alleviate that with some class questing or adventuring which is good but not as good as the crafting.

I like the idea of skill cool downs as aposed to mana or energy regen.

I really enjoy the class diversity. Although this is a dual point becuase I don't like the idea that you can be a little bit of every class. I think there should be a limit here.
    Nobility is not in your blood but in your actions.
    Woushi - Blight
    Dael Trykk - Blight

At the moment i'm enjoying being a merchant and since i play on the rp server i can't wait to sit down with new suppliers and hammer out the terms in my new house (when it's finished being built).

But yeah the crafting side of things is just infuriating enough to be really challenging and fun. The combat side, i'll come back to when i get tired of creating my monopoly.
    Am gonna hit an inanimate object with another inanimate object for awhile, then i'm gonna hit an animate object with a different inanimate object. And they said MMORPG's were limited in scope Pah!

I love spending time gathering resources for my t6 building and building my heart away.

I think lairshaping is fun. Sure it can take a while but it's all worth it in the end.

The things that actually keep me in Horizons are the community, and of course the fact that you can play a dragon. (Mostly) everyone is mature, will help when you ask for it, won't call you names like "noob".

I also really enjoy roleplay. It's like a story of your character unfolding in realtime; a book of their "life".

Being a nerd is fun

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Building. Designing, plotting out, and gathering resources. Applying them to structures and seeing your plans come to life!

Awesome!
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

For me it's

1.) Being a dragon. Granted, I've never agreed that dragons should only be mediocre at their crafting skills (8 pts per lvl, as any generalist) and their quests to gain abilities stop at 70, but there's always the hope that somebody will come along and finish what was started.

2.) Ease of gameplay. It took me a while to realize this was part of it for me... in EQ2 (for instance), you're only as good as the highest end raiding you do, and the gear you get. There's always the push, if you want to see that (high) end of the game, to constantly improve and get your gear updated. Not so in this game. Your gear is the best you can have made, and everybody else has that exact same gear. Everybody is on equal footing, there will never be 'elites', and no individual will ever stand out.
    Add to that the absolute ease of fighting, where you can kill a dozen "high" end mobs at a time, or get a craft level (or two) per hour if you try... it's a nice vacation.
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

Friends and a fun guild!

Being a dragon

Being a cat

Being myself (not a cat or a dragon)

Building (not crafting... building.... or crafting to build)

Having fun trying to test my limits
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Talking Re: What do YOU find fun?

I remember when I was a Hatchling the Proudest moments of Combat where when I took out Named stuff like giga what ever that sand beetles name is .

and then going throw my ROP With companions like Valtur Faith Nartily Dracanaa Kessendrian (By the way thanks for saving me on the Rop with out your Instant heal I would have been a Dead Hatchling. )

To the AROP all of it, when I soloed all most all the Named Bosses - these face and Umarry (took a few tries, but I Learned )

Many good Memories of my comrades in arms The Ancients, If there is more development I would want to have More Epic Quests like the AROP with Riddles and challenges and Mystery, Fights that Push the Limit of all that Help ! After all Death points fade after 8 hours : D
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Wow, I've been sitting here for about 30-minutes...it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Probably in this order:

Tied for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd:
    • Plot Designing (Sometimes think this is more fun than popping structures)
    • Community
    • Plot Construction

4) Crafting / Craft School Multiclassing
    5) Crafting not dependant on adventuring skills (for the most part, marble anyone?)
    6) Player Equality (You're only as good as your effort, for most part, everyone has access to best equipment)
    7) Adventure School Multiclassing
    8) Hunting (I can do it well, but an hour of hunting bores me faster than 12-hrs of harvesting)

I'm sure there's more things, but those are probably the top-8
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Building! Working on an event with a bunch of folks is best but on my own plot is fun.
    Flying around with my dragon is great as well.
    And of course just chatting with all the good people.

I like adventuring, finding new hidden things (which really doesn't happen in HZ, because there is usally not anything hidden that isn't openly mentioned in the release notes). I also like combat scenarios where there is a goal - defend this, find that (deep in enemy territory). I like questing quite a bit, problem is since the revamp is going so slow (which is adding speech bubbles to NPCs that have quests for you), I have no idea where quests are or which I haven't done yet in most cases. I don't really like crafting in as of itself, I find it booring, though I like the crafting system in general in HZ. What I like is the endproducts I can make for myself and others. Hunting mobs and more mobs with friends simply for XP is ok, but gets old after a while.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

all the things i love about horizons are the same as everyone else.
    in descending order:
    5) adventuring is interesting and challenging
    4) crafting range and performance is way kewl beans - more fun than adventuring, too
    3) the terrain choice and visualization is awesome and invites exploration
    2) the community - at least on blight - is better than real life. everyone seems to really care about the progress of the other players and makes sure to assist in any way they can (i promise, sil, i will do those silos for you!! just let me get to uber arm!!! ), which impacts greatly on
    1) horizons has a certain undefinable 'it' or 'wow' factor that very very few mrpgs that i have come across have. i have no idea what this it factor is, or at least i don't have the words to describe it, but i have only felt it with one other mrpg. the thing that makes the difference between something amusing for a little while (re: vangaurd) and something that i become immersed in (horizons, of course), the thing that MAKES a game something that i will spend my hard earned extra cash on - its like art or ********, i don't know what makes it what it is, but i know it when i see it!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Fun? *Scratches head* I stopped having fun a long time ago.
    Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

dragons, crafting, community.

Im something like 80% Explorer 60ish socail, then I thnk the achiver/killer is around 30/20 respectivly.
    For me its crafting, being able to basicly create your own unique armor is great plus no two lairs are the same :3. Being able to fly anywhere as a dragon. The wonderful comunity, there are times when I can get caught up in whats going on in one channel or another for a few hoursa nd totaly forget what im really doing (wich has ledto a death point or two heh). The hugeness of the world is also a big draw, after playing Horizons most other games fell tiny and cramped by comparison. I love being able to simply explore and find new little spots I've never seen before! Like that cave on the far side of NT or the hole in the terrain right next to it (I couldnt fly into it tho dangit.) Or the lava rivers around the Tower of Wizardry in Char, until recently I'd never flown out to that side of char.
    It also has that little something that gives it that magic that I havent felt since my earliest days on eq1

1. Being a dragon. I LOVE being a dragon. No other MMORG comes even close. There's nothing like being able to soar through the skies feeling like a firebreathing titan. For that reason alone, I think I will never leave Istaria- you will have to force me out with a crowbar.

2. I think I really like building things. I love working on my lair, and that was even before they made it easier. Just made myself a new set of scales too. Gathering all the comps was great fun.

3. People I play with. I really enjoy the interactions with my guildmates and other friends I have made. Makes it all more special

4. The terrain. In what other game can you fly anywhere you like with no loading screens? Makes the world feel more real, and some of the landscapes are beautiful.

5. The ongoing storyline. I love hearing/reading about Istarian history, what has happened before, and I look forward to future events that continue the story. Let the fight against the WA continue!

6. Character creation versatility. You can be so many different and varied things and each new char is a different experience. I recently created a Dryad (in what other game can you be a hovering dryad I ask?) and it was totally different from playing a dragon. To my delight it was like finding a totally cool new game all over again. The multiclassing makes the number of possiblities endless. You never have to worry about running out of things to do.

Thread Information