Thread: Community Rites of Passage

Default Community Rites of Passage

This is where we will discuss the currently developing Community Rites of Passage for dragons over the next week or so. These are a community effort; therefore be critical of them ((not of other people!)) as possible. I have gotten us started with some ideas, but please feel free to add more of your own or to make suggestions or revision to mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Community Rite consists of five Trials which can challenge a dragon on any part of draconic life or occupation. Though only five trials are required, there are several possibilities so that no one Rite may be the same or so that the Rite can be more appropriate for the individual and his or her role chosen. Here is how the Rite basically works.

• The one wishing to take the Rite brings a dented bell, and is at least 40 seasons in craft or adventure, preferably both. Any may take it if they fit these criteria, even dragons that ascended at 50 seasons, if they so choose.
    • The Taker of the Rite chooses a role he or she wishes to fill in draconic society. Though the options of Warrior, Scholar, and Primalist are offered as starting suggestions, the role the Taker of the Rite chooses does not need to be limited to these roles. For instance, I am a Keeper of History and could have chosen that role.
    • Once the Taker of the Rite has chosen, the various Trials are aligned that would best suit the needs of the goal. To elucidate, the most appropriate Trials are chosen for the individual and his or her chosen role.
    • Once the Trials have been chosen, they are further tailored to the individual. For instance, if a Lunus Warrior is giving oratory it may be about his battle with the Aegis bipeds, but if a Primalist is giving Oratory, it might be on the function of the Prime and our role in it.
    • The Taker of the Rite then proceeds to tackle his or her Trials. If the individual should fail a task, they may not retake that task for a week. If a Trial should prove too difficult, after failing at least twice, the individual may request another.
    • If the Taker of the Rite completes his or her Community Rites, he or she is given a Golden Bell to symbolize the progress made in this individual. The Taker of the Rite is announced on the community Forum and in the Dragon Cave (Dragon Channel) as their new role in society; the forum will likely contain a brief overview of the challenges and how they were overcome. Such an individual is thus recognized by the community for their efforts and should continue to advance their chosen role in our society in a community of their peers who have chosen the same role.

This new tradition we have created shall supersede the old tradition of waiting until 50, but an individual who does wait has proven patient enough to find his or her own role in society alone. This is not a required task in any way, shape, or form, for ‘growing up,’ which is tested in the best judgment of the Council of Ancients in the form of the Rites of Passage. Rather, this is another way an individual might contribute to draconic society and be recognized for those efforts as a shining example of our race. Individuals who chose not to take this Community Rite will not be chastised for noninvolvement; rather, we shall trust that they will eventually find their role on their own or, in some elder cases, have that role already.

Below are the Trials as they are developing. Because these Community Rites are intended to test an individual, the specific detail of a Trial is generally not offered, except perhaps in example, as those above. Instead, they describe what the Trial is intended to test, what it represents, who it is appropriate for, and how an individual can succeed at it.

((Note, when the term (Others) appears in the Appropriate For category, it means that roles relating to the roles already listed may be used. For instance, if it says Warrior, Scholar, (Others), then the Trial may be suitable for me as a Keeper of History as it is a type of scholarly role.))

Trial of History
    Appropriate for: All
    Completion Criteria: Answer ten questions of increasing difficulty about the story of the Community Rites’ creation, as told by the Proctor.
    Description: The simplest of trials and a part of every Community Rite. The Proctor tells the story of the creation of the Community Rites, and then the Taker of the Rite is given an hour to think about the story. When the hour has passed, the Proctor asks questions, starting with facts such as who created the Community Rites, leading to comprehension such as why they were created, and finally analysis and argument such as if they should have been handled in this way and why. ((Credit to Kodey for this idea!))

Trial of Oratory
    Appropriate for: Any
    Completion Criteria: Taker of the Rite prepares and gives a storytelling on a subject to a gathering of dragons (and perhaps even bipeds). Orator must also be able to field questions about their story and role.
    Description: The Taker of the Rite is generally asked to develop a stance or understanding of their chosen role before this Trial, to better help them accomplish it. A Taker of the Rite may be given up to a week to complete the story or oratory they wish to present before presenting it. This oratory is helpful to the community, especially to dragons who have not yet chosen a role in our society, because it can tell us about that chosen role and what is expected of them.

Trial of Creation
    Completion Criteria: Taker of the Rite creates an item or set of items that the Proctor examines as authentic work of the individual. These items are then described, demonstrated, or otherwise defined in the context of their chosen role.
    Description: This is the crafting-based Trial of these Community Rites. In the vein of Vladtmort’s scales, the Taker of the Rite is asked to create items that would be helpful to their chosen role and why they are important. For instance, I suggested a warrior building his own claw and giving it a name, but it can be any craft-related task including lairshaping.

Trial of Heroism
    Appropriate for: Warrior, Scholar, (Others)
    Completion Criteria: Taker of the Rite slays a particularly fearsome foe that is stronger than the individual as a test of mettle in view of the Proctor.
    Description: This is the adventure-based task, specifically more designed for Warriors and Warrior-like scholars. Generally speaking, a dragon beyond season 20 should be able to fight things 5 seasons above their head. This can potentially double every 20 seasons up until season 80 with the right system, critters, and equipment. For the purposes of these Rites, however, an individual below 50 should not be expected to fell something greater than 7 seasons above them, and for an individual above 50, it should be no more than 17 seasons, unless the Taker of the Rite requests it. It is best when this task coincides with another, such as Oratory in recounting the battle; bravado is always key.

Trial of the Prime
    Appropriate for: Primalists, Scholars, (Others)
    Completion Criteria: The Taker of the Rite holds back a tide of monsters using their powerful Primal Magic in sight of the Proctor.
    Description: This is the adventure-based task, specifically more designed for Primalists and Primalist-like scholars. This challenge may be harder to quantify than its Tooth and Claw variant; there should be risk enough involved that the Taker of the Rite can potentially fall in battle, but still be able to overcome the challenge to the satisfaction of the Proctor. The individual should be expected to fight at least five monsters. It is best when this task coincides with another, such as Oratory in recounting the battle.

Trial of Thesis
    Completion Criteria: The Taker of the Rite creates something original of their own to further advance their field. Originality may also be a new take or extended research on another’s theories.
    Description: Probably one of the hardest Trials, Thesis is based on the concept of a Master’s Thesis in college. This is incredibly free-form and up to the Taker of the Rite to describe, categorize, and develop. It might be a new theory on the Prime or a fighting style or a theory on Jarl. This task is only limited by an individual’s creativity and the amount of work he or she chooses to put into it; given its subjective nature, then, it is generally judged on evidence of work (and therefore evidence in general).

Trial of Faith
    Completion Criteria: The Taker of the Rite learns about the history of our religion, asks several dragons their beliefs on Drulkar and reports to the Proctor on them, and then elucidates his or her own beliefs.
    Description: While the first two parts of this Trial are fairly explained in the Completion Criteria, the elucidation of the Taker of the Rite’s beliefs can be quite varied. It may simply be telling the Proctor, a test of some sort, or a moral dilemma asked to be solved based on what they have learned. Drulkar and his place in dragon life are often not clear, and this is an excellent place for it to be developed.

Trial of Culture
    Completion Criteria: The Taker of the Rite learns about dragon culture and traditions through interview of community elders. The individual is expected to then demonstrate his or her knowledge of those cultures and traditions.
    Description: We dragons have a lot of solid cultural nuances, like the Keir’chet language, and a lot of strange cultural nuances, like the use of Smishing and its introduction. The Taker of the Rites is asked to interview community elders about certain or several cultures and traditions of our people, which helps to proliferate our cultures and traditions. The demonstration can be free-form, anything that is related to traditions or cultures.

Trial of Life
    Completion Criteria: The Taker of the Rite learns about dragon life and family through interview of community elders. The individual then traces his or her family lines and reports on the lives of others in their family. If the individual is without family, another demonstration may be substituted.
    Description: Some dragon family lines fly in circles. (Just kidding ;p) Dragon family is a very important part of dragon life, but this trial may also deal with the role of the Sleeper and Drulkar in our growing up. The Taker of the Rite is required to interview community elders about dragon life and family. The individual is also asked to interview his or her own family members and report upon their roles and views of dragon life and society.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it looking so far? Remember, I don't want to go into too much detail about what a Trial will entail to make each Community Rite more individual and challenging.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Default Re: Community Rites of Passage

*trots over to take a look and shuffles her undersized wings as she sits down to read*

Axun, these are good ideas for Rites! Gee, I promised myself I'd put my mind in gear and think up some ideas for you, Maekrux, but I'm really moot this time! *laughs* I especially like the Trials of Life and Oratory; those sound the most fun.

*nuzzles* I'm sorry I can't come up with anything good. But I'll keep thinking on it whilst I hunt, okay?

*waves a wing*

a most excellent start and descriptions!! I'm not sure I will be able to add to this or even tweak it cuz it sounds great already - but I shall put my glasses on, sit in my thinking "lair"*, and see if anything forms in my head...

*thinking lair subject to change to anyone of the 100 million storage chambers that are all that is of my level 0* (grins)

I am already intrigues at my own role in these rites and wondering how I should pursue them...*taps her head, notices her claws are dirty, and then starts to nibble them to clean them*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Hrm. :: peers around :: Was I too specific in my Trials? I suppose it is a good start, but surely there are some voices that hold some contention.
    Last edited by Kaerisk; October 23rd, 2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Smilies are the work of the devil
    "Resurgam!"

Would we not need a few elders to form up a few specilized circles? It would be nice to have a few dragons that are experts for each field to go to for such rites.

::chuckles:: You hit the nail on the head, to use a biped term, Shian. One of the ways I hope these Community Rites will aid our community is giving us those we might consider experts in their field. Many dragons do not have a particular expertise, however, but are generally able to add input simply based on their age, skills, and interests. So, generally speaking and especially in the early stages of the Rites, there need not be specialized circles of elders; they simply do not yet exist, to my knowledge - only individuals like myself who have chosen a profession, like a Keeper of History, as their study of interest.

Good, any other voices?
    "Resurgam!"

What we have so far is good enough. The RoP tests all of these and make certain that a dragon is ready for what lies ahead, unless they are being held by the hand the entire way through.

My issue with this isn't the spirit of the matter, but when certain dragons go speaking for others in the community by making claims to others more impressionable that all the 'elders' and a majority of the 'elder' players are in agreement with these things and back such a thing. I think that's wrong.

I wouldn't and couldn't help or agree with such things knowing this was done and knowing someone spoke for me or any one else I know who I could be certain would not not agree to such community rites.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

I'm not quite certain what you mean, Azrel. The concept is that elders - that is people who have been with the community for some time - try to describe a general atmosphere. For instance, the Trial of Culture might have someone talking about the Keir'chet language and how it permeates our society. The elders do not dictate the society, but try to teach of it. True - their viewpoints are uniquely theirs. But that can be said about anyone who says anything, for each experience, sensation, and belief shapes one's perception.

Communities are directly dependent on the people who comprise them. A conglomeration of their perceptions, beliefs, and values put together into an area, we shall say, our Istaria. No community completely encompasses an individual, of course, though an individual may be influenced and influence his or her community. In short, I'm not creating these to say "believe as I do or I'll tail whip you," but rather as a way to create the forum for our discussion and perpetual creation of our community.

There has not been a lot of progress on the Community Rites since I put them up here, so I suppose I'll call this discussion to an end. As I announced at the Bardic Gathering yesterday, these trials are open for dragons now, and I'll make a final post on the boards about their details as soon as I get some time to scribble it out. Thank you for continuing to help make these Rites unique and interesting and a part of our community.
    "Resurgam!"

((Actually, something has come up in terms of RP and I won't be able to do anything on this for a week or two. If anyone is willing to steal the idea, please feel free to do so.))
    "Resurgam!"

((Hehehe, I'll steal it even though I'll 'prolly not be able to use it XD Just kidding. Anyhoo, I have a question that's totally off-topic, but bare with me: what does "Resurgam!" mean? ))

Quote Originally Posted by Galdethriel
    bare with me

Quote Originally Posted by Galdethriel
    what does "Resurgam!" mean?
    I wonder that as well. Sometimes after reading these forums, the word gets annoyingly lodged in my mind for a while. "im in ur head, bein an unknown"
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

((Resurgam is Latin, which means "I shall rise again." It's a good word for someone called the Blue Phoenix ;p))
    Last edited by Kaerisk; October 31st, 2007 at 11:56 PM.
    "Resurgam!"

((Aha! ^w^ I knew it'd be something like that! 'Cause it sounds like re-surge and gives the image of a dragon jumping up into the sky for me. ))

Thread Information