Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Order become stuffy?

Default Re: Has Order become stuffy?

LOL! I for one find myself almost saying LOL in conversation. At least I think it.

I also would like to correct a post I made about taunting RPers on Order... I don't really think it is a taunt but more of my version of role playing.. The Baby Huey of dragons. Big dumb and yellow.

Mimir's story is that he was raised by a kindly family of bipeds who taught him "Pig Latin" and told him that THAT was his native language.

Also.. Who has ever been driving down a country road, seen a big clump of dirt, and thought.. MOTHER LODE!!! ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    Also.. Who has ever been driving down a country road, seen a big clump of dirt, and thought.. MOTHER LODE!!! ?
    *Raises hand and looks away in shame.* I've also seen a rock and thought it was a scaled wolf from eq1 for a split second. I've a tendancy to almost say thngs like Lol and omg, afk, ect in real life. Here lately I've had to be real careful not to use dragon language in rl.

I usually wait untill about 5 - 10 lines are exchanged with (()), by that time everyone really should know that the conversation between the two parties has become OOC and the (())s are no longer needed. I have yet to be chastized for doing this, but it doesn't happen very often.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    I usually wait untill about 5 - 10 lines are exchanged with (()), by that time everyone really should know that the conversation between the two parties has become OOC and the (())s are no longer needed. I have yet to be chastized for doing this, but it doesn't happen very often.
    But what about when it becomes IC? What about newcomers to the channel who, without seeing notation on the in-progress discussion, will assume it is IC and absorb what is said into their characters' knowledge and the opinions etc. stated into their understanding of others' characters who are present?
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    But what about when it becomes IC? What about newcomers to the channel who, without seeing notation on the in-progress discussion, will assume it is IC and absorb what is said into their characters' knowledge and the opinions etc. stated into their understanding of others' characters who are present?
    I'd be completely compliant with some official notification that OOC quotes EX: (()) are to be used at all times when used in dragon chat, accept I've never seen such a thing. If this is to be so, shouldn't it be posted and pinned somewhere? I'm not lazy, and I love rollplay and sticking to it's rules, but I see no place where this is officially stated. Besides this, I agree that most OOC should be taken off line to privat chat anyway.

*chuckles* How is that for a confusing reply?

* snuffles curiously*

I'd be completely compliant with some official notification that OOC quotes EX: (()) are to be used at all times when used in dragon chat, accept I've never seen such a thing. If this is to be so, shouldn't it be posted and pinned somewhere? I'm not lazy, and I love rollplay and sticking to it's rules, but I see no place where this is officially stated. Besides this, I agree that most OOC should be taken off line to privat chat anyway.

*chuckles* How is that for a confusing reply?
    Well, I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't answer my concerns.

Just because you aren't required by official rules to do something doesn't mean you shouldn't do it even though it makes sense and promotes a conversational format that makes sense.

I'm not trying to force anyone to do it, now, but I am still trying to express why it should be done.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Well, I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't answer my concerns.
    I ahhh... hmmm.... ok I'm in agreement... are you happy now?

It's just that using special "quotes" after several lines does become extreemly inconveniant. Mabe it should be taken offline.... as into private chat for example. ----It does make sense doesn't it?

* snuffles curiously*

There are alot of times where it is VERY apparant that no one is IC- joking about modern references, discussions on culture references. These were the times I was reffering to. As for taking it into private chat, there are times when there are over a dozen dragons in the channel, yet no one is talking.

Is it possibly in fear of being reprimanded? Some of us enjoy the odd conversations that we may not be necessarily a part of, but it is welcome to have something to break the drone of crafting sometimes. Think of it as a substitute for having a TV running in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW
    It's just that using special "quotes" after several lines does become extreemly inconveniant.
    Typing two shift-key-requiring parentheses at each end of a message does sound a bit inconvenient and prone to error.

So use single brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW
    Mabe it should be taken offline.... as into private chat for example.
    That works in some cases.

Typing two shift-key-requiring parentheses at each end of a message does sound a bit inconvenient and prone to error.

So use single brackets.
    Why DO people use double brackets as apposed to single for representing OOC? I've only done this to mimic other people that I've seen do it.

* snuffles curiously*

Why DO people use double brackets as apposed to single for representing OOC? I've only done this to mimic other people that I've seen do it.
    I've seen some people use (((((((((this)))))))))). xD Quite unnecessary.

I've seen some people use (((((((((this)))))))))). xD Quite unnecessary.
    *blinks* Riiiiiight. Can someone give me a logical reason or has this developed from some internnet "lingual shift"?

* snuffles curiously*

I don't know about anyone else, but I use double parentheses to avoid confusion in case I'm roleplaying and I use a single parenthesis in character.. if that makes sense..

For example:*Drae is not too fond of crafting (though lairshaping is an exception)*

Or: "Try working on something you are good at (whatever that may be)."
    Last edited by Dremora; November 19th, 2007 at 07:17 AM.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Double brackets is probably in line with "prone to error" I tried using double just in case I forget one on either end for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I use double parentheses to avoid confusion in case I'm roleplaying and I use a single parenthesis in character.. if that makes sense..

For example:*Drae is not too fond of crafting (though lairshaping is an exception)*

Or: "Try working on something you are good at (whatever that may be)."
    [Brackets] solve that problem too.

Personaly I use <> but thats just habit from an old rp group I used to hang with. I think Frith mentioned somewhere on here that Dragon channel was never ment to be a strictly rp channel , that it was originaly ment to be like the New Player Channel only for dragons.
    Imho the only reason why it's become so rp centered now is because we are so spread out we rarely ever meet each other face to face. I know I can go days with out seeing another player until I happen to bump into someone running thru Brist or something.
    Honestly if it hadn't been for Dragon chat I'd probably have quit due to lonelyness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    Personaly I use <> but thats just habit from an old rp group I used to hang with. I think Frith mentioned somewhere on here that Dragon channel was never ment to be a strictly rp channel , that it was originaly ment to be like the New Player Channel only for dragons.
    Imho the only reason why it's become so rp centered now is because we are so spread out we rarely ever meet each other face to face. I know I can go days with out seeing another player until I happen to bump into someone running thru Brist or something.
    Honestly if it hadn't been for Dragon chat I'd probably have quit due to lonelyness.
    OT: Which is why we really need to have a server event going... it would be nice to have SOMETHING that would make everyone pop thier heads out of thier lairs/quit hunting solo and band together.... I think the most players I have seen on my screen at one time was twelve and that was during an ascention... Although I must say part of that would be my own fault as I've been predominantly just sticking in my family's channel.

Brackets are more difficult for the eye to see as character chat uses brackets. Noticed it this morning when one dragon used brackets and another used paranthasis. Hence the use of other methods: (()) () <> They're more of a pain though as it requires dextrious use of the shift key, but seem to be more socially used because they're easier to see.

I used to roleplay a lot. When you entered the IRC channel I hung out in, around 30 people would be there at any given time. You'd roleplay walking into the inn and sitting down, and any action after that. Conversations were roleplayed entirely along with everything else. It was like watching a movie in your head and you were the director (of your own character, of course).

This is where I picked up using brackets. Because you didn't want to interrupt your medieval roleplay with stuff like, "Did you see the forums? LOL there was this pic of from X-men 2". This roleplay channel was heavy on settings, time periods and character development. Why would a mage in in heavy velvet robes be speaking about forums and a modern day movie? In that era, movies didn't exist. He would have no knowledge of movies or forums.

Whenever there would be a new person, we'd private message them how to start up a character, write their description and have it macro'd, and what brackets were used for. It was a friendly atmosphere.

With Dragon Channel its different. There are people that make a character on Order, thinking the channels will be IC and most people will be IC, and there are those that make a character on Order and don't roleplay at all. It can be very confusing for a new player to ask questions OOC and have them answered OOC without brackets, and then later on ask questions OOC without brackets and get verbally bashed for doing so, even though earlier it was fine. Its two different kinds of people that occupy Dragon channel.

Basically, anything I see as OOC, my characters ignore. -I- don't ignore it, but Kodey as a dragon in Istaria's timeline will know nothing of forums and levels and Rachael Ray on TV. :P I'm heavy on separating myself from the feelings and actions of my character. I'm also very heavy on character development.

I do have a new character I am roleplaying in dragon chat. She is rude and angry and demanding. I simply pull the strings to control her. Just an operator. My feelings are quite different from hers. This is not me being rude, this is her being rude and I keep both things quite separate with brackets if needed. This helps people know that I am roleplaying someone that is irate and hostile and I can openly explain with brackets that she's just a moody dragon. I don't ever explain why, because that ruins the storyline people would otherwise get from the character herself. If that makes sense. For example:

I leave a lot of stuff about my character in the dark so that anybody that roleplays with her can figure stuff out themselves. I think it ruins the surprise of roleplaying at all if you reveal your storyline progression to someone OOCly. Two people roleplaying two different characters are not going to know anything about each other's character histories and pasts right off. This is why there is roleplay at all. The interaction.

I'm kind of torn when it comes to heavy OOC on an RP shard. On one hand, OOC has existed forever in the dragon channel and so has RP. They've always been mixing and causing confusion for new players that expect Roleplay but aren't getting any. Or when they expect it and get OOC they think OOC is okay and then told otherwise by the ones that expect it.

There are people saying that you can take roleplay to /tells if you want to continue it, but that doesn't make sense to me. Chaos, a normal server could have a reason to request that Roleplay is taken to private. But why would you be asked to take roleplay to private chat on Order, a roleplay shard?

I don't think Order has become stuffy. I think the newer generation that joined the shard and expected roleplay, got confused as many players do and ask that OOC on a roleplay shard be taken to private message or annotated with brackets. To them, it is a roleplaying shard after all.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aye - the newer generation isn't aware that that channel was originally created by a dragon (or a dragon on each server) as an OOC oriented channel - for dragons to congregate and chat about whatever - IC was certainly welcome on Dawn,a nd encouraged, but the "purpose" of the room was to offer help and assistance to dragons from dragons.

TUlga's "botted" game made channels came over a year or so later - maybe even two - I don't remember. At that time it became created as did Marketplace, and Roleplay as game created channels.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT JUST BECAUSE A CHANNEL IS CREATED BY THE SERVER DOES NOT MAKE IT ROLEPLAY!

Marketplace is not RP. New Player is not RP. General is not RP. THey are created by the game but htey are not RP oriented channels.

There is a roleplay channel that is created by the game - obviously it is for RP. (and on Order its usually dead...*cough*)

But Dragon chat can be considered both. It SHOULD be considered both. There is no OOC Dragon information channel - this channel serves both purposes.

But people who are strictly IC need to keep in mind that it is not, and NEVER has been, a strictly RP channel. And those who are strictly OOC or asking information shouldn't be penalized or griped out because they spoke OOC and did or did not use ((blahblah)).

And those who are OOC or asking informaiton should do the same of course for the Rpers.

However, I woudl also encourage people who want to spend more of their time RPing to POPULATE the RP channel. Its dead!!

Why are you fighting about wether or not dragon chat is corresponding to nonexistent rules and not just you know - going to the RP channel - if you know you're going to be engaging in a long RP session.

Keep both chat channels open - and occupy them accordingly. I mean that's what they're there for.

I personalkly would love to see more bodies in the official RP channel!! (not to mention at least half a dozen other open IC enforced channels held by guilds...there's plenty of places for it!)

CAPS for emphasis - not yelling I swear .

And everyone in dragon chat can go about educating all the new hatchies (and bipeds) about dragon adventures and lore and game mechanics and chatty chatty chatty. And that IC AND OOC can reside in the same channel happily.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information