Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fafnir size

Default Fafnir size

Please make fafnir a bit larger (like you did with the named wind golems) that you can actually see at the size that you just pulled your executioner and not an ordinary blight hound.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Default Re: Fafnir size

Ah, now where is the excitement in that?

Doesn't he already have a different name that shows up in your targeting window?

Mostly all other nameds are bigger as their siblings, and it is just annoying when you pull a blight hound and suddenly fafnir follows that mob and you only know that it was fafnir after you eat the dirt, because you keep focused first on that hound you pulled. If fafnir was made a tad bigger you would see the bad guy just agrroed you and you could at least try to save your butt.

Anyway, i was just asking.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

I think Faffy's the only blight hound that produces a rainstorm when approaching. Good way to know he's nearby.

In the Blight is always rainstorm, so you won't notice that fafnir is near when you are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    In the Blight is always rainstorm, so you won't notice that fafnir is near when you are there.
    Might want to think before you gold rage. XD

In all honesty, i servery the area before i start brawling. When i hunt in that area i know where faf is at all times and fight around him.
    Last edited by lightning claw; March 6th, 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Grammer what else
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

This sounds like a good suggestion. (Simple and easy to implement too)

In fact, make him like twice as tall like that giant werewolf that attacked Dalimond years ago.

Agree that he should be bigger, Reklar and SoG are huge, so its not strange to the other "epic" mobs to be at least slightly larger then the other race members.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

While they are at it, Gruk the Frigid could be made a lil fatter too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    While they are at it, Gruk the Frigid could be made a lil fatter too.
    A tad bigger, but not fatter please. Else I would need everytime a loaf of bread when seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post

In all honesty, i servery the area before i start brawling. When i hunt in that area i know where faf is at all times and fight around him.
    Wise words.

I support making Fafnir larger, though. It just makes sense.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

To me it does not "make sense" in every case.

Then again, nor do named mobs showing up with big flashing names over their heads.

Unless you stand observing for a while, often you can't tell which is the leader of a pack of wolves, lions, etc, unless this is something you've studied and learned to determine. While size often means the dominant creature in the group, this is not always the case.

While I'm not the one to make the decision in this case, my feeling is that you shouldn't always be safe in an area where a unique creature spawns. The element of danger that you might get more than you bargained for, you might get the named, means you do need to pay attention and breaks up the routine of just grinding the same mob over and over again.

Then again, I'm a gamer who likes to analyze, develop strategy, think, and have a choice in what risks I take while I play. So I may not be the best one to comment.

(my two cents worth)

I'd vote for a bit bigger. There are plenty of occasions when I am out wandering when a spawn point can take 30 seconds before other mobs turns up. I am happily fighting away against who I think are all the mobs in the area and *whammo* a couple more appear. Normally that's OK because they will be roughly the same level, but if Faf is in the mosh-pit somewhere...

If Faf was a bit bigger, you could decide on fight-or-flee.

I think the main issue is that Fafnir can pretty much 1-shot things. If he wasn't able to kick your *** so fast, people probably wouldn't mind about not being able to easily tell him apart from others.

That said, it seems more realistic that a named creature that's A LOT more powerful than the others of its type would exhibit some sort of visible differences. Over a year ago I made a similar complaint about size, like how tiny tiny wolves can tear a fully-grown dragon to shreds, because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Long story short, I don't think anything really changed, but I still think that having a way to tell them apart is important. Maybe not for danger/escape reasons, but definitely for immersion reasons. It still breaks the magic every time I have to battle to the death with something 1/4 my size.

Only reason I said it "makes sense" is that usually named/boss monsters are larger or otherwise unique-looking in games. Istaria certainly isn't making a point of setting standards in realism, so why should the realism principle apply here. The risk principle I can get behind, however.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Only reason I said it "makes sense" is that usually named/boss monsters are larger or otherwise unique-looking in games. Istaria certainly isn't making a point of setting standards in realism, so why should the realism principle apply here. The risk principle I can get behind, however.
    Just because some things aren't made realistic doesn't mean that no things should be made realistic. If they were going for a totally random approach they wouldn't include stuff like gravity, relative sizes of creatures, realistic sound effects for attacks etc. The graphics would probably be a lot more stylized too, rather than looking like something we actually recognize.

There's a fine line between realism and fantasy, and while it's up to the developers to choose which side they pick for each aspect of the game, it doesn't mean that the existence of one should involve the total absence of the other.

Usually, we name things with distinguishing features, because otherwise we can't tell them apart from other creatures of the same type. In real life, almost all creatures have some defining feature from other creatures of their species, which we use to differentiate them. Because MMOs use exact clones of their creature types to create different creatures, it makes it necessary to give named creatures a defining trait or else they become unusually difficult to separate from the rest.

Even just a tiny color scheme change will do, but it should be SOMETHING...

We are talking about increasing the size of a Withered Aegis named/epic mob. Not about some annoying wolf or other common animal that can be found in the world of Istaria.
    Sure it is not about what is more realistic, but it would not be the only enlarged epic in the game. Only to name some examples Reklar has his own corner were you can find him so doesnt bother anyone, SoG roams around ED, but doesnt kill you in 1 blow so you have a chance to escape when he sees you which happened to me more then once while hunting abominations, blights and stuff.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post

If i would blindly goldrage all I see, I would not have done the blight hound claw quest 27 times in total. (and all the other imperial scout quests at least one time) Also with the short view distance that we have on monsters, you see fafnir very late when he approaches and will agrro you on sight, if he hadn't already one shotted you with his growl/scorch.

All i was asking that he stands a bit out more, since the name tags on the mobs show up very late and the bounding box of the hounds are very small, I have to click the feet of them to get them actually in the target window.

This is not an asking for an easy button as some may say, it asking for making it less annoying, since you can't anyway fight fafnir alone and have to run when you see him.

We are talking about increasing the size of a Withered Aegis named/epic mob. Not about some annoying wolf or other common animal that can be found in the world of Istaria.
    And this QFT.

Personally I like the fact he is not bigger. That's what makes it's fun. I can only blame myself if i got careless or comfortable pull hounds to end up eating dirt, and i have . Luckily there is a large tavern in clearport now to help work off that embarrassing DP. The fact there are things that aren't alike is a draw for me. But I do see the point that bosses are bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Think about how big they all are. SoG? Huge. Reklar? Gigantic. Let's keep up the tradition, at least.
    <----clicky!

Thread Information