Default The Blue Phoenix, Part Four

"He rubbed his belly.
    I keep them here
    [he said]
    Here, put your hand on it
    See, it is moving.
    There is life here
    for the people." (1)

In the sky loomed purple death. The floating city was covered in a shield of energy that allowed it to be defended from the blue dragons who had lined up in rows in the frigid wastes. Only one red dragon hovered in the air near the barrier, looking down at his kyn below. He was waiting. At last Malygos strode onto the frigid battlefield, walking to the front. Maekrux had taken his place among his blue family in the ranks; for this, Maekrux was not special, merely another solider in a war to come. As Malygos looked up at the hovering threat, the red dragon called down to him.

“Malygos! You must stop this mad ploy at once! Magic is the gift of the Creators and a necessity in this time! The magicians have as much of a right to life as you do!” the dragon shouted.

“They will only bring greater misfortune upon us all! Magic only serves to pervert the unwary mortal, who seeks only power and prestige! Without magic, the Legion would never have come to this world! If we do not take the magic back from them, they will turn against us! Look now at the city that floats beside you, Korialstrasz! How long will it be before they turn on you as well?” Malygos demanded back.

“We should work together with them to lead them, Malygos! If Magic can corrupt, should you not be the one to teach them? Should you not then guide their hand and help them to not fall into darkness?” Korialstrasz argued.

“I shall save them by ending their magic-use forever! You will not dissuade me! Magic is my domain and its use and license is my affair. You and the Reds have no place in it!” Malygos shouted.

“You seek to assert your rights by denying us Reds of ours! If you will not back down or find another way, we Reds must stand against you!” the crimson dragon bellowed.

“Then let our dispute be settled in blood!” Malyos trumpeted back, raised up onto his hind paws and summoning a great flame to his talons. This he did not launch at the red but instead turned against the ground, burning away the snow with a rapid sizzle of heat. Revealed was a circular crest of runic. Malygos fell back down to his forepaws, shaking the ground as he summoned arcane energies into his claws, activating the seal. The runes lit up with a callous purple-blue light, which suddenly erupted into a massive beam six yards wide. The beam shot into the sky and crashed against the barrier of Dalaran, the light at first parting around it, spreading more like jelly than light. The true nature of the spell came into view, however, when the blue-purple energy began to eat and tear at the purple shield like acid, until the shield itself was completely destroyed, despite the efforts of the several exposed mages who had been maintaining it.

“You leave us no choice, Malygos. Reds, to the aid of Dalaran!” Korialstrasz exclaimed. At his command, a hundred red dragons suddenly leapt into the sky from behind the mountains, flying up into a square formation to intimidate the blues with their size.

“Blues, to the sky! It is time to reclaim our birthright!” Malygos shouted. The blues had only about two hundred dragons on their side and a few of the stronger, more willing netherdrakes. Maekrux, too, took the air, noticeably concerned at the battle to come. Maekrux was not overly afraid; even here, the Gift would work. Rather, he was apprehensive about fighting in the air. He had never done so before, though as he flew along side his blue family, he started to wonder why dragons on Istaria hadn’t tried it since the Battle of Tazoon.

As the dragons vied for airspace, the mages of the Kirin Tor were not idle. Several mages had taken up two detachments of about thirty wizards with a single grizzled mage in the front, looking down from the edge of the land of the floating city. “Korialstrasz! Be ready!” he shouted.

“I know that voice… Rhonin! The mage who destroyed the Dragon Soul!” Malygos exclaimed, mostly to himself.

“Fire!” Rhonin exclaimed. The mages weaved together lines of arcane energy, forming into several patterns of squares overtop the heads of the two mage detachments. The purple-white energy launched from them and the mages began the spell again. The spell they had launched flew through the air swiftly and the blue dragons attempted to scatter out of the way, but with so many in the sky at once, two dragons were caught by the spell, which wrapped around their wings and caused them to fall ingloriously to the ground. To compound matters, once a dragon had been brought down by these energy nets, they launched themselves back into the air, trying to grab another victim, causing confusion amongst the blues.

“Charge!” Malygos shouted, leading the way towards the floating city, his Blue Dragonflight eviscerating the air as they sliced through it at breakneck speed. One of the purple nets launched at Malygos himself who tore through the magical fibers like paper. Several dragons managed to land on the floating city of Dalaran, but the red dragons rushed into the gap as well, crashing into the blues and grappling with them in furious combat, weaving, falling, flying along side one another, clawing at each other, breathing flame, breathing ice. Malygos himself was prevented from landing by the Consort of the Wurmqueen, Korialstrasz. The Blue Aspect and the grizzled veteran of combat hissed wildly at one another: these once-comrades had become blood enemies.

Maekrux made it safely onto the ground of Dalaran, relieving some nervousness since he would not have to fight in the air. Maekrux and his blue comrades engaged the wizards on their own ground, cleaving through scores of them with powerful claws and bites and magical spells. Runes of frost were placed upon the dead corpses of the mages, in case their priests managed to bring them back to life; some tried and found that those who had been marked were incased in a solid block of ice the moment their breath returned to them. The blue dragons also had a seriously detrimental ability to the mages: the ability to force their own magical aura out around them and reflect all magic that was thrown against them. Maekrux, not having this ability, turned to errant mages and eviscerated them cleanly with his Gold Rage attacks, letting his brothers take the fore.

The tide turned upon the ground when several heavily clad warriors followed by men and women in priestly garments rushed out to aid the falling mages. One after the other, these warrior shouted taunts at the dragons and struck at their hides with their glowing blades. The dragons turned their claws and breath upon these newcomers, but with the powers of the priestly men and women behind them, the warriors continued to stand and continued to fight, and continued to draw the ire of the Blue Flight. Maekrux watched this confrontation almost stunned. Why were they not killing the ones healing the metal-encrusted meatshields?

The air battle was fairing no better. The red dragons did not have the numbers, but they did have the strength. Physically stronger, older, and more used to fighting in combat, these dragons were slaying some of the younger blue dragons outright. Their blood rained upon the snow below, staining it pink as it melted from the heat of the passionate blood. Malygos and Korialstrasz seemed to be evenly matched. “Call off this foolish attack, Malygos! Your Blue Dragonflight is still crippled; you would risk killing off all your kindred again!” Korialstrasz exclaimed.

“If I must sacrifice my entire brood so that none will ever die to magic again, then so be it! Netherdrakes, to me!” Malygos shouted. Several of the translucent blacks rushed to Malygos’s side, and then crashed into Korialstrasz, taking his attention away from the Spell-Weaver. As the red dragon tore drake after drake from his body, breaking their necks, spilling their purple blue, Malygos dived down to the ground and took one of the nets tangling a blue dragon. Rushing back into the sky, he channeled his own chaotic magic into the net which began to flare wildly. “Blue Flight, to the ground!” Those dragons still in the air immediately disengaged their targets. Some of the reds immediately gave chase while others paused to see what was being planned. Those that paused were soon sorry for it, as Malygos launched the writhing net into the air. It spread out like a cage over the sky and arced down against those still in flight and struck all save Malygos with a powerful arcane-electrical force. The motor functions of the reds were completely shot. Some died of heart attack before they hit the ground. Others were helpless to prevent themselves from landing on their necks. Most landed in poor health on the ground, Korialstrasz and the netherdrakes who had attacked him included. “See now the folly of daring to oppose an Aspect in the right! This battle was ours from the start, for our moral obligation to protect this world far exceeds your right to allow mortals their freedom to destroy it!” Malygos bellowed.

“Now! Use the Double-Ocular Device!” Rhonin shouted. From the blemished white towers that had seen great previous battle, five mages stood in concert, chanting in ancient tongues as a green-purple eye-shaped gem floated between them all. Powerful and dark energy erupted from the gem, an amalgam of the Eye of Dalaran and the Eye of Sargeras fused together by forbidden magicks. From it erupted a massive beam of energy that struck Malygos head on, sending even the mighty Spell-Weaver reeling and falling to the ground. He managed to regain control and land hard on his feet, spraining his left hind ankle.

“Lord Malygos!” the blue dragons exclaimed from Dalaran’s proper. They had done significantly better since Maekrux rushed into the gap and eliminated the troublesome healing priests. Now freed, almost all of the Blue Flight upon the floating city abandoned their post and tried to strike at the tower. But once more the eye fired, not a single beam this time but several in all directions, turning and weaving like dragons through the air, cutting and slicing and tearing the poor dragons to pieces.

“No!” Maekrux shouted as his comrades were torn apart in a bloody cloud of scale and bone before his eyes. Maekrux had little time to mourn their loss, however; one of the ribbons of death tore through his shoulder and the ground on which he had been standing. Maekrux tumbled down from the floating isle, painfully struggling to right himself, his wings well enough for flight, but each beat pulling and tearing on the hole through his shoulder. He landed a little more gracefully near Korialstrasz and Malygos, who was being counseled by some of his kyn.

“Malygos, we cannot fight against a city with a weapon of that magnitude!” one of the blues exclaimed. Malygos’ eyes were wide in horror, in his mind reliving the death of his kyn at the hands of Deathwing.

“Give up Malygos! If you do not, your entire flight will be wiped out once again!” Korialstrasz exclaimed.

“Silence you!” shouted one of the blues at Malygos’ side, “They would not dare use that attack on you while you were down here!”

“We reds knew the risk. Rhonin is instructed to end this, even if it means the death of the reds helping them. This is but a faction of our children, blue. You are all there is to be had,” Korialstrasz said.

Maekrux looked out at the frigid battle field. Purple death still loomed in the sky. Those he had called family lay dead and dying in the unwelcoming snow. Blood had rained thick upon this land, but it was not blue dragon blood alone. Here, too, were those he might call kyn. By some arbitrary distinction had they been born red, but were they not dragons too? Were they not dead and dying around him, staining the battlefield in their blood, fighting for their values and beliefs in this heartless civil war? It made Maekrux sick. There was a time when he was violently ill for putting down the corpses of hatchlings on Draak for his rite and now he was fighting kyn to the death? These were not dragon either. These were fools. “No more,” Maekrux murmured, turning his eyes skyward. “No more can I be kyn to these creatures!” Maekrux shouted. He waved his wings back and forth, grimacing at the pain it caused his shoulders, but he continued, drawing in all the power of the Prime he had. Its entrance onto the land of Azeroth had a strange effect of multiplying and what would not have even reached the floating city had suddenly become a gale-force wind that crashed against the city and the tower. The tower was sheered and fell to the floating city, but the floating city itself also began to fall and strain under the intense pressure of the storm.

“Lord Rhonin! We must retreat from the battle!” a mage advised him.

“But we have almost won! If we can strike now the crusade of the blues is finished!” Rhonin exclaimed.

“There is no time!” the mage shouted, pointing to the side of the city. The winds were threatening to crash the floating isle into the mountains from which the red dragons had sprung; such an impact would shake the isle apart and surely kill all its inhabitants.

“Blast! Order the mages to advance to the sky and retreat,” Rhonin conceded. “Korialstrasz! Dalaran must fall back! Get your dragons out of there!”

“What strange power is this?” Korialstrasz asked. Hearing Rhonin’s voice, however, he hobbled to his feet, tossing the corpse of a netherdrake from him. “Reds, to the sky! We must retreat to lick our wounds. Leave not a living comrade behind!” The dragons that were strong enough carried those who were not strong enough to fly away as they retreated. “You have not seen the end of this battle, Malygos. Your crusade will become known to the Horde and Alliance before long and this internal matter will spiral out of control. I beg you, give up this fight. Farewell.” And with that Korialstrasz took to the sky and flew after his comrades, his wing beats slow and injured.

“Resurgam, you – you have saved us!” Malygos exclaimed, surprised. Maerkux looked down at the corpse of one of the blue dragons, remembering the traitor who had warned the Kirin Tor, the one whose place he had taken.

“It was a mistake.”

“What?”

“It was a mistake to have come here. Malygos, you are old and you are wise, but about some things you are an even greater fool than hatchlings fresh from the egg, innocently ignorant of the world at large. But even they know the beauty and love that a dragon feels for another. The racial bond that they share that they will never let broken. You have tossed those values away and become nothing more than a wise husk.”

Malygos was stunned and silent. Maekrux walked away.

1 - Ceremony, by Silko.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Maekrux now had a problem. He tugged at the runes, feeling significant pain. Something was wrong. It was not the runes so much as it was a hole in his shoulder, which was very slowly healing. It felt different than other wounds Maekrux had received in the past. It reminded him of the way he had felt when he had injured himself as a hatchling, growing up, fleeing from the lair. The pain was somehow more real and there was a fear that teased at the back of his mind, a mortal fear of death. The wound was not healing as quickly as it should have and Maekrux, in trying to get away form Malygos and his Blue Dragonflight, attempted recall and failed. It was not that the runes bound him there as they did. It was as if the power had never existed at all. If he somehow managed to break the runes, he might be expelled from Azeroth and he could find his way back, but it would likely kill him. Without the Gift, he would merely be easy pickings for the powers of the Rift.

Malygos entered into the chamber Maekrux had been living in since his return. He was slow, as his sprain had not yet been healed. “Resurgam-”

“I will not suffer you to call me that name anymore, Malygos. I am Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix.”

“Maekrux. I am sorry. Things have not turned out the way we want them to, but this is always a possibility in war.”

“There should be no war between kyn, Malygos. I realize now that my place is among my people. Even if they do not want my leadership, help, or even presence, that is where I must be. If I am not there to guide them, they could suffer an even worse fate than civil war: losing their souls to nothingness.”

“I cannot allow that Maekrux.”

“What?” the Blue Phoenix asked.

“You are our secret weapon, Maekrux! That attack you did was phenomenal. It is only that gale that saved the Nexus and our race. To let you leave would be to open ourselves for genocide,” the Spell-Weaver said.

“It is magic that should not even exist here. You warned me about spreading magic to realms not native to my own, do not ask me to change that now,” Maekrux said.

“Then at least teach it to me, so that I might better save my people! Do this and I will let you leave.”

“I cannot. It is not just that creed you taught me; the power of the Prime is my birthright, the birthright of all dragons of Istaria. It cannot be utilized by any but we native to it,” Maekrux explained.

“Then I will not allow you to leave,” Malygos said firmly.

“Then you leave me no choice.” Maekrux took hold of the runes firmly.

Malygos laughed. “You are Gifted, Maekrux, if you die, I will merely reclaim you.”

“Not anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“Something has happened. I do not know what yet, but something happened, possibly before I ever arrived here. I’m not Gifted anymore. If I fall, I will die permanently. I’m not even sure this wound on my shoulder will heal, even with the healing forces you have present here. If I break these runes, you still lose your former brother as well as opening yourself to genocide. Therefore, I offer you a choice: lose gracefully, or lose sloppily.”

Malygos pondered his options. “I will not lose at all. Is there any way you can create a rune that could emulate that attack you did?”

“I suppose it is possible. I could channel my Prime energy into it, but it would eventually run out,” Maekrux said. His claw still danced on the glowing rune.

“Then I will free you on two conditions: one, that you create that rune with a renewable power source. I will help you as best I can in this regard. Second, you must keep your oath. This will not be the final battle; Korialstrasz has spoken it. It is possible that when the two mortal factions invade these lands with their mindless, bloodthirsty adventurers that the mages of the Kirin Tor will use them to strike at us. When that time comes, I will send for you to fulfill your vow and we will fight to defend the Nexus once more.”

“Will there be dragons among those adventurers as well?” Maekrux asked.

“I do not know,” Malygos said plainly.

“I cannot go back on my promise. My word is my bond. To forfeit that is to be unworthy of the pride of being dragon. I accept your terms on one condition of my own. If a rechargeable source cannot be found, I will still be free to leave,” Maekrux said.

“So be it. There may be a long enough term solution. It will not be long now. The ships already begin to be staffed and the wind already fills their pillaging sails,” the Spell-Weaver said.

And so the two dragons worked side by side one more time, their wounds being looked at by the most adept of healers amongst the blues, attempting to create a rune that would allow Malygos and his kyn to remain safe until the time of the crusade’s revenge.
    Last edited by Kaerisk; November 22nd, 2007 at 04:33 AM.
    "Resurgam!"

Atop the mountain on the isle of Draak, Maekrux yawned. His wurmkyn and Nidhogg had given him at least some semblance of peace and the only three living natives to the isle had taken kindly, if detachedly to Maekrux since his coming. For the most part, Maekrux had been left alone, except for one individual who continued to return. “I have to admit, it's pretty peaceful here now that people have given up on me.” Maekrux paused, reconsidering. “Except for the Shadow Dragon. And enslavers. And walking undead dragons. But up here, it's pretty nice. Except for the occasional smell.” Maekrux sneezed as the wind changed. It may have been his weakened state, but he was beginning to believe he was allergic to blight.

Once more his little black visitor returned. The cynical bitterness in the back of his mind made him wonder how long it would be before his mother showed up and scolded Maekrux of ‘teaching’ this hatchling as well. But Maekrux’s habits were hard to break and that bitterness was pressed to the back of his mind when the hatchlings were around. Not that it remained there, for his heart now bled bitterness. The hatchling beamed, saying, “You're awake!” Panting, the hatchling settled to his stomach at the base of the pile of rocks and attempted to catch his breath.

Maekrux chuckled. “You must be a very bored hatchling indeed.” Maekrux’s eyes were pained, for two reasons, but he hid the pain well.

“No, Sire. Not so much,” the little black said.

“Ah, a lunus, then?” Maekrux snickered to himself. The bitterness was always creeping out.

Hrajiel smiled. “Maybe. Maybe in the future, I might be.”
    Not wishing to be accused of poisoning the youth, Maekrux explained his question. “Mm. Lunus are no better than helians are no better than lunus. Lunus are simply more known for their tormenting of their victims.”

“Does my company torment you so?” Hrajiel asked.

“I do not mean to offend little one, but it wounds my soul. I took an oath to take my knowledge to the grave, but that does not mean I do not still desire to teach. It is torment, though I have brought it upon myself.”

“Mmm… I no longer seek to know what you might tell. I will not ask you for such things if it pains you,” Hrajiel said.

“Just... ask me not for any stories, and you are free to keep my company. That I shall miss the most and it broke my heart to hear you ask it last time,” Maekrux conceded. “Why do you seek my company, though?” he asked.

“I don't know. When I ran here today, I thought it was to hear what ever it was that you might tell me, but when I reached the blight, I longed for something else. There is something about you, your words maybe, that speak to me in a way different from anyone else.” Hrajiel sighed, looking frustrated, as if his explanation did little to explain his feelings.

“You are a glutton for punishment, I think. I am hardly enjoyable to be around these days. Not even I wish to be around me.” Maekrux finally slipped out from his rocky crag, shaking the dirt out of his scales. Hrajiel shrugged lightly before stepping aside. Maekrux had become noticeably weaker. He had not eaten for several days now, having spent no energy in moving or even thinking about his own well being. It no longer mattered to him. So little did. Hrajiel frowned at the sight Maekrux’s thin frame; it was clear to Maekrux that the hatchling had noted the change, but he had yet to mention it. Maekrux took a deep breath before settling himself back down, closer to the hatchling who had spent much of his time removed from Maekrux by the steep rocks. “Still, I appreciate it. Even if it is in ignorance or in truth, it is nice to feel wanted for awhile.”

“I appreciate you letting me be here, Sir,” Hrajiel said.

“Mm. I do not own this mountain.” Maekrux peered over at the dragon rump-shaped hole in the rocks. “That's all I own around here.”

Hrajiel looked to the spot, smiling faintly at the shape of it. “Even so…”

Though Maekrux had spent time with the hatchling since they happen to cross paths on the hatchling’s wanderings, the only thing that Maekrux knew about Hrajiel was that he was Hraefn’s hatchling. “Tell me of yourself, little one. It is unfair for me to ask you for a story, so if you like, tell me only the barest facts.”

Hrajiel became notably uncomfortable with the question; he seemed to swallow the feeling though and took a moment to gather his thoughts. “Well, the first thing I remember is a blue-violet flame. After that, there was Mother's wing and then the lair falls.” Maekrux nodded slowly, listening intently to the black hatchling before him. “I'm not much of a crafter, or a social dragon, but every now and then I craft. I’m in crowds almost every other week, but that’s because Mother and Father gather in groups to tell stories with others.” Maekrux expressed a look of sadness and pride at the last piece of information, but said nothing. He did not hide these mixed emotions well, for Hrajiel cringed. “I'm sorry.” After a short pause, he continued. “There's really nothing all that special about me but I do… Sire, do you know anything about dreams?”

Maekrux pondered a moment. “My father once told me that dreams were answers to questions we did not know how to ask. Why do you ask?”

“I… I have the most vivid dreams of times and places not of here. And I'm hardly ever myself in them,” Hrajiel admitted.

“Given your parentage, I'm hardly surprised... Still, if you wish to tell me of them, I will listen.” Though Maekrux did not know about Hraefn and her history, her mate was another matter, a well-known Stardragon.

“I just don't know how to take them.” He took a deep breath, clearly replaying the dream in his mind so he could retell it to the ancient before him. “There is one that I’ve had a few times now. When I can first remember it, there is a war. Mostly there are bipeds and though I'm not one of them, I command a small group. Through the battling masses, I urge myself and the others through to reach a tower in the center of the field. I don't know what's in the tower, but whatever it is, there is dire urgency to get to it, but…” He paused, as if feeling it in his mind. “But before I ever reach, I am cut down. By searing blade, I lose my life. After that instant, I wake.”

Maekrux reflected on the story. It seemed familiar, very similar to one his father had told before. “Mm. One might translate that dream in many ways...” He rubbed his frail chin gently. “If one is to take it purely as an answer, then one might say that to risk the lives of others and yourself for a goal too fervently is to lose sight of everything that truly matters: in the dream, your life and the lives of your soldiers...” Though Maekrux had not intended to mention it, he could not help himself from continuing, “Still, that does remind me of something your father once told me. Have you ever shared your dreams with him?”

Hrajiel looked to his claws as he scritched a line in the dirt. “I've only met with him once, honestly. And then we had no time or place to speak privately. Especially of things like that.”

That fact was more telling than anything Hrajiel had told of himself when Maekrux had asked. It seemed possible that Hrajiel had come to look to Maekrux as a father figure. It made his heart ache, but he tried not to show it. “That is... most unfortunate.” He knew he would not be able to hide it without emotion, so he turned the sadness he had for Hrajiel’s state inward, as he often did. “Though, perhaps your father is right. I was very close to my son and he disowned me.” He shrugged his wings weakly.

Hrajiel frowned. “I'm so sorry to hear that.” The hatchling had not managed to extract much from Maekrux, to be sure. Maekrux was doing his best to keep his oath, despite all desire to teach this hatchling as he had so many before.

“Still, your father seems to have a bit of a history. By that, I mean he has a unique and displaced history. I can't recall if he is a Stardragon or not, but he might as well be. He, too, once commanded bipeds in battle. Perhaps this is, somehow, his dream, something that he recalls, reincarnated within you... or perhaps, it is that you and your father are very much the same in this strange displacement.” The strange connection was baffling to Maekrux, but he could not think as well as he could a few days ago. His eyelids had grown heavier and his thoughts were slowed.

“Mother says he is to wake in a few days,” Hrajiel said, breaking Maekrux from his trance, “maybe I'll have a chance to talk to him then.”

“Perhaps. Do not hesitate to press time with your father; I cannot speak for him, but a true father loves his son. No matter what.” How Maekrux still loved his son. Hrajiel nodded softly while Maekrux cracked his huge neck, trying to get the blood flowing. “Mm. I should move around more, perhaps...”

Hrajiel chuckled. “Making it out to you ensures me my exercise.”

“Ha, I would imagine so! You should get your wings as soon as possible. The tradition dies with me.” Even Maekrux himself couldn’t tell if he was happy or bitter of that fact.

“No, I like the run to here. Besides, I would follow in my mother's footsteps to adulthood.”

“Good thing you don't want to follow in mine. I was over a hundred years old when I first took to wing.” He chuckled softly, but then choked. His throat had become sore of late, an illness setting in him.

Hrajiel laughed quietly. “That is quite an age.”

“Mmm... it was a ripe young age. Age no longer maters to dragons. Well. Unless it is a political matter. Of course.” Maekrux still took offense to some of the things he had heard about him.

Hrajiel stretched languidly only to sit upright almost just as soon. “It does to me. I have a high respect for yours, Sire.”

“I thank you for that, little one. But the truth is, there are hatchlings not but three months old who take to flight. It used to be we dragons-” Maekrux caught himself. How desperately he wished to break his oath. “Age no longer matters to dragons. Perhaps it still matters to individuals, though.”

Hrajiel smiled, as if understanding the block. “Maybe so. I do see hatchlings though that would belittle their elders. It angers me to see it.”

Maekrux lowered his head to his forepaws; he was tired of holding up his neck. Simply the effort of raising his head proudly had become a great and laborious effort and was yet another chain around Maekrux’s heart. “Elders rarely hold a sacred position in this society. Rather, to be an elder is to be blemished and scorned for it.”

“It seems wrong that it should be that way…”

“You are perceptive. That is all I shall say on the subject.” Maekrux shivered a little, feeling cold. He slowly shook to his feet and began walking for his rock, but stumbled from fatigue, crashing to the ground and kicking up a small cloud of dust.

Hrajiel lifted quickly and rushed to the Elder's side. “Are you alright?” he asked.

Maekrux sighed and summoned the strength to stand again. “I am fine, little one, just - just fine. I have not been eating much of late.” Maekrux continued to struggle up the rocks, claw after claw until he finally pulled himself into the little hole his body had made and pressed himself comfortably within it.

“I had noticed some… I brought a few things with me, not very nutritious, but still... Would you like some?” Hrajiel asked. He was perceptive indeed, though had not worked up the courage to admit to this knowledge until this point.

Maekrux smiled slightly. “I'm sorry, little one, but I am already full...”

Hrajiel didn't seem convinced, but he didn't argue the matter. Instead, he followed after Maekrux, taking a smaller ledge noticeably closer than he had sat before. “Do you know anything by the phrase, ‘Darkness wings?’” he asked.

Maekrux shook his head. “No, I'm afraid not. The phrase is too general to ring any bells.” He huffed and rested his head on his paws, smiling brightly, but weakly. “You don't look convinced that I am full, little one. But I am full, you see. I am full on history, on stories, on culture and language and past and present. I keep my stories in my stomach, so I shall never go hungry. I keep them in my stomach where they still grow...”

“Stories might fill your stomach, but they won't keep you healthy, Sire…” Hrajiel appeared to mull over a thought for a moment before looking resolved, nodding ever so slightly.

“On the contrary. Stories are all we have. All the presses back sickness and death. I was once a great story weaver; I know what tale I still spin.” Maekrux was spinning an end to his tale. Hrajiel reclined his neck slightly more, as if taking this point into miserly consideration, before letting it pass. Maekrux breathed slowly and evenly, his eyes half closed, almost as if he was dreaming.

Sorting through his pack, Hrajiel pulled forth a thick piece of Kwellen Hide and placed it at the inner corner of the ledge. Atop the hide, he placed a small mound of dead mice and, next to those, his freshest variety of Chocolate Covered Beetle Legs. “To keep the stories company, should they want it,” he said.

Maekrux peered at the mice on the hide and laughed softly. “Ha! Mice as an audience for them. They shall sit in a circle in my stomach and tell stories, mm?” He sighed softly. This was how he had wanted to end his tale; here, with a hatchling looking over him, begging him to his last breath for one more story. Of course, Maekrux had thought it would be with his family, his grand children, great grandchildren, his community. But things never went according to plan with Maekrux. All his grand designs and marvelous dreams burned and burned and burned but always turned to ash at some point. “I thank you, little one. Please leave me.” Hrajiel smiled and nodded. Lifting, he ran to Maekrux's shoulder and nuzzled it quickly before recalling.

With the hatchling gone, he looked over at the pile of dead rats. They danced with his thoughts to the music of the spheres. Maekrux did not wish to prolong his suffering. And yet, what about his family? What about Aerioch and her mate, his grandchildren? What about Carenath; what about Aika? What about this young hatchling who kept pestering him to live? He had become a miserable, parasitic existence. But, at least someone still wanted him around.

Bit by bit, he ate the offering brought to him, trying desperately to keep each piece down.
    "Resurgam!"

Default Re: The Blue Phoenix, Part Four

(*gently glides down from above to land and swiftly devors the offering Kaerisk has brought, leaving nothing, but walks away licking her fingers*

What? Food for the soul is good too and it looked like you were done with it. I thought it appropriate. ^_^ Thanks for this.)

(::nuzzles Shian:: Still one last installment of part four. I think you could use some dessert ; p But thank you! ::snuggles:: )
    Last edited by Kaerisk; November 22nd, 2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Smilies are the mindkiller.
    "Resurgam!"

Try as the two wise old dragons might, there was no way of getting around the problem. The Istarian Dragon’s existence was intimately tied to the power of the Prime itself, the realm of which Istaria was crafted. Whereas the gods of old had imported their own energies and mingled them with the Prime to create the other races, dragons had come to Istaria already created and crafted forms out of the very Prime itself. Deep within them, their souls of flame still burned, but their bodies were completely Prime, the only implements capable of drawing and manipulating Prime energy. After a few test spells, seeing how much the Prime was magnified upon this existence, Maekrux summoned three massive balls of Primal energy into his hands and sealed them within three separate runes inside the Nexus. The last was placed outside the Nexus proper, linked to these three power sources. Into the last, Maekrux channeled a fourth ball of Prime energy and crafted the runes in such a way that they operated more like a spring-trap than the conscious effort of their user. Still, this trap would last for only four shots, but Malygos believed it would be enough.

Maekrux’s shoulder had been healed, but it still ached considerably. With Malygos’ permission to leave and the runes complete, Maekrux turned his attention to himself as he followed Malygos to the black chamber. Physically, nothing was wrong with him, besides the irradiation of the Rift and the dull ache. He did not wish to stay and study this change, however, lest Malygos changed his mind. The two walked into the black room with marble columns. Maekrux stood once more in the center of the room, the white runes lighting up beneath him. Malygos returned to the front while the two dragons who had first bound Maekrux in this room came back to the Istarian’s sides. Malygos looked at Maekrux with sad eyes. “You do not need to leave. Perhaps there is some other way?�

“This is what I must do, Malygos. You have taught me a great deal and shown me much about myself and my own people. But now, I must return to my realm and become a leader to them. I am not a perfect leader, to be sure, but it is most important that I go back and do all that I can. Without me, who else will they turn to? Who else will remember the stories? Who else will try to heal the wounds of the Schism and of battle? Who else will warn them of the biped they are becoming? Istaria is where I must be.�

“Then Istaria is where you shall go,� Malygos said. He nodded to the two dragons and they stepped forward, releasing the runes gently from Maekrux’s body. Maekrux’s form immediately began to fade and flicker, the powers of the Rift itself calling him back. Though the runes kept Maekrux in a realm, they were not perfect solutions; over time, that energy could build up pressure on Maekrux’s soul until it crushed him. He had discovered that if he did not return to the Rift once in awhile to release that tension, he would suffer a death even the Gift could not save. Maekrux’s thoughts were interrupted by Malygos, who was standing on his hind legs, his relatively small wings flared out behind him, his forepaws weaving energy. “You are a noble dragon, Makerux. Go back to your people and begin your own crusade against ignorance.� With that, Malygos lowered himself and his energy onto the runes upon which Maekrux stood. The runes temporarily glowed purple-red, and then Maekrux’s body and soul were forcibly shunted from Azeroth, flying through the Twisting Nether – the Rift – towards Istaria.

Maekrux landed in familiar Rift territory. The Guardian of the Heart stood nearby, ever fading as its power was devoured slowly by the Rift. Maekrux shook himself off from the harsh landing, still feeling the pain in his shoulder, before stalking over the twisting, barren wastes of the Rift to the pad he had long set up before. Maekrux was about to use it as a focus for reentering Istaria when he paused. He still did not know anything about what had caused that strange sensation at the battle. This was the first thing he remembered after leaving Istaria, when he knew things were fine. Whatever markers had been left behind were, of course, gone – torn apart by the energies of the Rift. He instead used the gem of the pad to look inward: to scry upon Istaria.

He first looked to his lair, which was exceedingly bare. Strange – there were marks that appeared to have been runes carved all over his balcony. How could that be? Save one other, Maekrux was the only one who knew runic extensively. He scried into the dragon den; not much had changed here. He scried upon those who had tormented him: Miira had hatchlings in the meantime! How they had grown. Her hatchlings might yet have the benefit of a wise and old dragon. For Hraefn, life had continued as normal, though Maekrux noticed a hatchling with her he had never remembered seeing before. It seemed nothing much had changed; he was probably a distant memory to them by now anyway. Maekrux looked to Aerioch and Nidhogg; ah, Nidhogg was up and about, but Aerioch still slumbered. He looked to his son.

His son was with another.

Surely there must be some mistake, Maekrux thought. But no, it was clear; Carenath loved this dragon as his father. Maekrux had been displaced. Had he somehow felt that his promise was broken? Had he not had the patience the traditional wait should have taught him? Either way, Carenath had broken his promise to him, Maekrux thought. Carnath had promised to always be there for him, waiting. Carenath clearly no longer waited for him. Indeed, Istaria needed a guide more than ever, Maekrux thought. Maekrux’s heart lurched. Still, there had to be a reason. Maekrux scried around, looking. He noticed that the hatchling with Hraefn was gone. Peering around for him, he saw that the hatchling was going towards Draak. At his strength? Maekrux thought. He was strong enough to begin the Rites, but anything on that isle would have been more than a match for him. He followed the path of this hatchling with wonder. He ran and ran as fast as he could, sneaking past the blighted area and running up the hill. Perhaps he was doing one of the easier parts, just talking with the dragons? Maekrux wondered. But no: this hatchling stopped halfway up the path at a series of rocks. Maekrux manipulated the view around to see at what he looked.

Sitting in the rocks was Maekrux Vythulhar.

“How could this be?� Maekrux shouted into the empty Rift. He scried down closer at this imposer, looking at him carefully; no, this dragon could not be him! His form was frail; his scales were thin; his eyes were defeated. Who or what had created such a misshaped figure of clay, that it should mock the greatness and pride that Maekrux Vythulhar had and stood for?

It occurred to him. He had died when he left Istaria, though he shouldn’t have. The transition should have been as gentle as when he left Malygos. He turned his attention onto himself, looking beyond his body, looking deeper than his spirit, even as far down as his soul and he saw. He saw the emptiness in his soul. He had been only half a dragon. No wonder it had taken him so long to see Malygos for what he had become, why it had taken him so long to remember why he had left. This half-dragon must have caused as much problem on Istaria as he had remembering on Azeroth! Maekrux continued to scry this frail half-self to reconstruct what had happened. He must have done terrible things to have ended up in this state.

The Maekrux called Resurgam would be bitterly disappointed. Maekrux had never acted. He had merely suffered further at the hands of those he loved and finally his heart had broken without repair. He had been turned into a shell of what he had once been, for the grief for his kyn and from his kyn. This had to be rectified.

Resurgam began to prepare for his rebirth.
    "Resurgam!"

((End Part Four.))

((P.S. Now you can post, Shian! ::slurps:: ))
    "Resurgam!"

((ooohhh very tasty dessert! ^_^ Nom nom nom. *curls up in a corner, to await the next meal* ))

((I love your stories! Always wait happily for more. ))

((Yes very good work ))

Aye your interweaving of the opposite lore realms is very interesting and makes sense heh! Lovely read .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information