Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water and cargo disks

Default Re: Water and cargo disks

My water only shows up rarely. It used to show up all the time, but then it kinda poofed. There are a few times when I'm extremely happy about this, like when I have to fish. (Instead of running into the water and drowning while trying to get a bit more trout.) I haven't turned the water off though...it just stopped reliably showing up one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I think Creme mentioned before in another post, that if the Dev's dont fix stuff then its a game mechanic.
    Actually, I think I'm the smartalec that came up with that.

Key thing tho, I just came back in June, from EQ2. Now, in THAT game, exploits don't stand chance. The *moment* the Devs become aware of a bug, the servers are shutdown for a 'hotfix' (usually in the hour after the patch the allowed the 'oops', complete with 1 hour rollback.) And if a cash duping bug does get thru, they'll ban 1000's of players just because they're wealthy, and sort the logfiles later. (True story on that one )

Me, I play too much. 10+ hours a day usually. Having just come back, there was so much politicing, accusation of cheating, et al., that I had to make a decision... check with players to make sure whatever I was doing was 'legal', or decide whatever the game allowed me to do must be acceptable. Sooooo, some peeps might not 'approve' of how I play, raise cash, etc., but oh well.

I can see the arguement in this, but I do agree that if its not to be fixed and/or they(devs) don't care then announce it and let all do it if they so choose.
    I'm all for this! So, how does this 'turn off your water reliably' trick work?

well unless someone knows of a game mechanic that will allow us to continue playing when the game is shut down for good. Please let me know about this one
    LOL, oh, I dunno, aside from the copyright and ownership issues... How big of a footprint can this game possibly have? I have a terrabyte drive, good enough? Add that internet bandwidth gets cheaper as we watch... It could be just like running your own IRC server! It's just you and a few dozen close friends (due to <whatever> limits) but there you are!!

(Hey VI!! If you ever decide to close up shop, how about making the game public domain? <lol>)

----------------------------

Getting back to Aamer's post... we have water in this game?!

Seriously tho: I just reinstalled the game few months back. Brand new computer, downloaded via torrent, clean install. Water for me is 70/30. 70% of the time it doesn't exist, the other 30% I get a reaction. (It's interesting to note that I have a biped nowadays, and the biped has NEVER had a water reaction. Only my dragon can drown.)

So, for me, on the biped, my disk never detaches.

On the dragon.... 70/30. Depends which way the wind is blowing that day, and is inconsistent during a single play session. One minute that patch of water doesn't exist, and a few minutes later, it might.

And just in case the Devs do read these... Any way we could gets cargo disks to simply not be visible to other players again? Why clutter the screen/framerate with another object when the data is unreliable?
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

There's a few ways to get rid of water... The easiest way is to [redacted] your [redacted], another is to modify your [redacted] def to [redacted]. A third way would be to manually [redacted] or write a program to do it for you... There's one or two other ways too of course, but they're even more obscure.

(I bet you thought I'd really say them in public. :P they do exist though. whee.)

I think the point that has already been made is that way too much is controlled on the client side.

Yes you can remove water, but a better question is would the devs even care about that anymore, as there are far greater pressing issues to deal with.

What does water do beside slow us down a bit or prevent access to some island. With all the bridges and portals around it only slows us down a small amount as it is.

Devs, if a player was to turn off their water on purpose, what would be your view???

Would you ban this player or just ignore it?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

My question is.. how can you prove that they are purposely doing it... I mean, this information is all stored on the client side... unless some sort of means for VI is put into a patch at some point to respond with what is or isn't being generated on someones screen, just so that person can be punished. Seems there are still much more worth while projects out there to work on.

Personally, I like the water, and missed it so much when it wouldn't reliably show up that I cranked up the viewdistance a bit just so it would show up more then 50% of the time.. now I get it about 95% and my FPS only suffers slightly because of it, but well worth the reduction to have my fish swimming in actual water, and lilly pads not floating in the air where a pond should be. I personally try to never walk through a water area with my Cargo Disk attached, perhaps that is why I have never noticed it detach itself while traversing such.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Thread Information