Thread: Possable new race

Default Possable new race

I know this is a bad time to for this subject, what with all the other things being a much higher priority. I just wanted to toss this idea out for future consideration. What about adding a race of Gargoyles? There could be an event to free them from the Withered Ages just like the Satyrs and Dryads (I think it was the Dryads, can't remember)

Instead of turning to stone by day though, they could have a special ability for stone skin that would be something akin to the beetle's harden shell but only last for a short time.

Since gargoyls are winged creatures, they should be allowed to fly. In the past when I've mentioned this idea to my friends who play dragons, they would get very upset that a gargoyle would be able to fly automaticlly and they had to go through a ROP to do it. There could be a way around that conflict by making gargoyles go through something similar. When gargoyles were captured by the Withered Ages, they could have put a spell on them making gargoyles unable to fly anymore. Thus, gargoyles would now have to go on a "ROP" type of quest to get their ability to fly back. Having a race of flying bipeds could also relieve some of the misgivings that bipeds have shown over the years about not having the same advantage as the dragons.

Default Re: Possable new race

its a nice idea, but if you want to truly give them the ability to fly, then there should be some kind of class / school limitation to them as there is to dragons. Right now bipeds are much more powerfull as dragons if they have several schools to 100, which a dragon can never chose to do. You have to limit them in some serious way to stay fair.

Should probably have to be something including earth magic and throwing stone daggers now that I come to think of it.

Or better yet, just reinstate the dragon classes like they were in the very beginning of the game. That would even things out.

that would be extremely cool of course

Quote Originally Posted by Trieah View Post
    Or better yet, just reinstate the dragon classes like they were in the very beginning of the game. That would even things out.
    take that idea to the Next Level

Elemental classes
    Earth, fire, ice, lightning, water, wind, storm,

only after the arop of course
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Hopefully it's one of the suprises the Devs have in store for us. It would be really nice to give the ancients something to look forward to again. Once you cap out your lvl, what else is there to do if you can't change to something new.

I play both dragons and bipeds (don't even ask me how many alts I have) but my heart still yearns to be a gargoyl. Perhaps some day Horizons will grant my wish.

Nice idea. There's a lot of potential in Horizons to exploit the fact the world allows free flight and feels truly seamless where you're not counting the obvious chunk boundaries you cross.. I see it as a waste for only dragons to use the skies. Though dragons could have the advantage of going higher and faster.

The Dev team can add a rop for Dryads too where they have to get all the parts for a powerful wing enchantment spell that gives them free flight. There's also the potential of flying mounts for bipeds or that idea thrown around by the early dev team of allowing bipeds to mount dragons for flight or a spell bipeds could get through a Rop equivalent that allowed free flight for a set time.

You can give the gnome tinkerers a long quest to earn a formular that allows them to craft some kind of flying machine that would give all bipeds the feature of flying. To become a pilot you have to do a very long quest like rop.

It's a fantasy game and you can give all something to fly around, flying pets like in other games, machines, or give them wings, like a seraph, dryad, gargoyles, daemons ...

But is this really what we want?
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Some years ago, the idea of having magic flying carpets was brought up. Could have them work off of recharge cells. That way bipeds would use them more sparingly becasue finding someone to make the recharge cells isn't always easy.

(still want to be a gargoyle though)

Quote Originally Posted by Terao View Post
    To become a pilot you have to do a very long quest like rop.
    Yes. It's a very long quest involving gnomes, the caa, some finely tinkered machinery and no small amount of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Terao View Post
    It's a fantasy game and you can give all something to fly around, flying pets like in other games, machines, or give them wings, like a seraph, dryad, gargoyles, daemons ...

But is this really what we want?
    Fall damage and the Havok physics engine would make things pretty darned interesting... especially if your magic carpet suffered a flat battery in flight...

Back to something feasible... I don't think everything should be able to fly; that's not the kind of world we have and I think it would spoil the game. However... for these gargoyles... perhaps a low height cap (being heavy and made of rock) and a glide-only ability above that, or glide only until a certain level (a short rop even done at a certain level).

I'm still wondering when Istaria will truly become three dimensional... as in proper underground areas with bad stuff, and things in the sky other than dragons. The Floating Islands area, but expanded... possibly a dragons utopia floating up high somewhere, could be reachable by dragons only by flight (no gate)... or non-flyer visits only by special invite and carriage by a dragon or other device (activated by a quest only perhaps).

A downside to all that is that I'd wager client performance and view distance would need to improve.

Always game for a new race if it's integrated correctly.

Rakku

Thread Information