Thread: Router info

Default Router info

Just hooked up an old router so my room mate can hookup his system.

after getting it all set up with a firmware update not seems as though Horizons patcher does not like it.

I did a search and all i found was a post about not needing to do anything to open ports for Horizons to work.

All I get when trying to run the game is the patcher downloading this file.
    \master_file_list_checksum.auc then it will change to \master_file_list_checksum and then keep going back and forth between the two.

Any ideas out there?

Default Re: Router info

Nothing changed with your antivirus software, right? If so, it could be that.

Also, you do need to make sure you allow ftp connections through the router. You can test that by trying to login via the website and then uncheck the ".net patcher" before logging in.

Failing that, you'll have to submit a support ticket and let our true computer guru's quiz you on things, or hope that someone with more computer know how than I have responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    Open ports udp 47101-47104 ; udp 47701-44704

-Horizons Customer Support
    *Points up to that post*

yes i did open those ports (FYI the second part is wrong it should be 47701-47704)
    also opened the ftp on the router but still does not update.

even unchecked the .net and still can not connect to the server.

will send in a ticket. thanks for the replies

Horizons has a few different stages of "loading", each of which have their own network requirements.

1) authentication: this takes place over http (outbound tcp/80) if you're using the standalone launcher, or https (outbound tcp/443) if you're using the website (horizons.istaria.com)

2) patching: once you've authenticated and selected your character, the patcher will run. There is a .NET/multithreaded patcher and an older one. The .NET patcher uses ftp, I think it's passive mode, not port. The older patcher uses http.

3) client launch: The client finally starts up (you get the rectangular splash screen) and proceeds to contact the game servers over the outbound udp ports listed elsewhere (somewhere around 40000).

If you can't make it TO a stage, then changing any configuration pertaining to it will do nothing for you, and may actually screw things up.

Restore your computer's and router's port forwarding/firewall/whatever to its default settings to start. If you've upgraded the firmware, you may have to completely reset the router's configuration. (write down anything you might have to re-enter, like mac addresses and isp authentication credentials)

Most 'routers' permit outbound connections to just about any port on any IP address by default, and none of the launch stages for Horizons require an incoming connection.

Given the above and that the patcher was able to fetch the master_file_list_checksum, I'd say your network connection works and your trouble is somewhere else.

When was the last time you were able to play using the installation of Horizons you were trying to launch?

just before i hooked up the router I was online playing.
    so it has to be in the router. will disconnect the router and try the game that way and see what happens.

ok just ran the game without the router and it worked fine.

reset all the ports and the router itself and it still hangs on the patcher.

reopened the ports and still nothing.

internet works great through the router, and the othe 3 games I have installed all work through the router.

Okay, whats the brand and model of the router, as well as the firmware version you upgraded to?

Cable/DSL Router = Network Everywhere (Linksys) NR041

Firmware = Version 1.2 release 3 date = 2003

the support mail i got back said to make sure ftp 20-21 was open. both were open but still no luck getting the patcher to work through the router.

Thanks for the info.

I did some testing and I've seen the .NET patcher use passive AND port mode ftp, once was in port mode, the second time was in passive. Not sure what's going on here. I know for a fact that if you're behind a NAT router and that router isn't smart enough to properly translate a port mode FTP session, the port mode session will not work. (Passive mode will work fine.)

Anyway, try not using the .NET patcher. Use the website login, then on the screen here you hit the "Play Horizons" button, uncheck the box near the top that says ".NET Patcher". When you then click "Play Horizons", you should get a small rectangular window, with two progress bars and a bit of text. That is the older patcher that uses http (and better work).

If you get a window in the shape of the Horizons dragon logo, you're still using the .NET patcher.

Have you tried disabling the router's software firewall (SPI). If it works when disabled try configuring it differently. It could also be a problem with your ISP. I had similar issues with Everquest2 and my ISP, apparently one of their networks was blocking it. Forunately, my ISP is an local WISP service provider so they actually have good customer service

I was thinking (Yea.. dangerous I know) Nidhoggor has a thought there.. if you would put one on the DMZ, and adjust the porting for the other one.. they should both be able to get in game unobstructed.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

It's a proven fact that HZ can be patched and run from behind a NAT router with a (default) allow-all outbound policy. The question is, why not this one? The proper fix is to figure out why, not turn it off.

(Now, it could be a piece of poo, and that's fine too, at least that way theres a compelling reason to replace it. )

True, but I've experienced problems with flaky hardware firewalls (maybe flaky routers in general). It should work with SPI on, however removing that from the equation helps the troubleshooting process.

I would test with SPI off rather than DMZ. DMZ doesn't always work correctly. Also other thing if you have a Internet Security application running it the background it might be conflicting with Horizon. Again it should work with it, if configured correcly, however frequently those application block applications on the white-list. Also simply disabling the IS/AV will not always fix the problem. The processes are still loaded in memory.

Perform a clean boot, to completely terminate the application on boot.
    If you need help in performing a clean boot, use this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    Last edited by Nidhoggr; January 11th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Ok for some reason the game started to work with out using the .net.
    not sure why but before it never let me in with out the .net before.

tried logging in several times today and it worked every time with out the .net, and would not work using the .net.

thanks for all the help.

Ah, welcome.

I suspect this has something to do with the .NET patcher using port mode ftp instead of passive. Perhaps someone from VI can explain how the patcher decides which method to use. It should *always* be using passive mode.

In the mean time... enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    True, but I've experienced problems with flaky hardware firewalls (maybe flaky routers in general). It should work with SPI on, however removing that from the equation helps the troubleshooting process.

I would test with SPI off rather than DMZ. DMZ doesn't always work correctly. Also other thing if you have a Internet Security application running it the background it might be conflicting with Horizon. Again it should work with it, if configured correcly, however frequently those application block applications on the white-list. Also simply disabling the IS/AV will not always fix the problem. The processes are still loaded in memory.

Perform a clean boot, to completely terminate the application on boot.
    If you need help in performing a clean boot, use this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    Not to mention you're opening a can of worms regarding internet security setting up your home router in DMZ mode.

Thread Information