Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: much sadness

Default much sadness

well im almost ready to give up on vista and trying to get into hz ive tried everything and still cant log in. i will keep trying though even with my spirit is fading but i will not quit hz nor will i ever leave compleatly ill find a way you can belive that but till then ill be sad with out friends on order and family there as well..
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

Default Re: much sadness

Did you download the release candidate (kind of a final beta test) of Vista Service Pack One? From what people are saying SP1 mellows out quite a few of Vista's compatibility issues.... at least with main stream programs.

whats the url link?

Patching now just had to uncheck .net patcher... who knew it would be that easy but ill keep my talons crossed ill be back soon it seems ^_^
    Last edited by venom-dragon7799; January 14th, 2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: news

thanks for all your help everyone. ill keep you posted im still patching..

ok didnt feel like reposting again but i came to a snag it seems, it says there are a few files missing and to try patching again so i am now but if this doesnt work anyone know where i could get these "missing files" ?
    Last edited by venom-dragon7799; January 14th, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: update

The release candidate is still BETA software, and I would be very careful installing a beta service pack on a laptop. There may be files that your laptop manufacturer needs to provide for SP1 which it may not yet have.

As for where you can get those "missing files", that entirely depends on what the files are. Some may need to come from Microsoft. Some may need to come from your laptop manufacturer.

You may not be able to upgrade your laptop that way, and you might hose it up bad enough to have to have the system re-imaged. (basically reinstalled from a recovery disk) In that case, you *might* lose everything on it.

Not trying to be a fear-monger. That's just the nature of the beast.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

its a file from horizons thats missing not my computer >_>

When i try to run the game i get this update from artifact..

"Sorry. the game could not bestarted since necessary files could not be downloaded."
    The reason: Couldn't open the file C:\Program files\Artifact entertainment\Horizons\ace.dll for updating. Access is denied.

hehe.. I just wish I had a place on the web with enough data storage space so that I could upload all the files.. then you'd just be able snag all the current files over to your system... Of course.. someone else might be able to do that..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

thanks for trying fratricide it means alot same with the rest of you I thank you all to no end for aiding me.

Quote Originally Posted by venom-dragon7799 View Post
    When i try to run the game i get this update from artifact..

"Sorry. the game could not bestarted since necessary files could not be downloaded."
    The reason: Couldn't open the file C:\Program files\Artifact entertainment\Horizons\ace.dll for updating. Access is denied.
    Ok, that's an *old* install if it's still under 'artifact entertainment' - the latest installer puts everything under 'virtrium' I think... On one of my macines here it says 'tulga' still, but I havent tried updating that one yet...

Anyways, it might be easiest to uninstall Horizons and download the latest installer so that everything gets put in the right place.

You might try to copy out all your personal setting files, and then just DL and install a whole new set of data.. that way the patching should be minimal and then you could ensure that all those necessary files should be all there...

did you try to do a full scan.. I think you mentioned that you did... but if not.. make sure you check that so that it will most assuringly verify that all the files are there, and the most current version, and if not it should re-DL them for you.

I wish you all the best of luck with it.. I'm sure there is a fairly simple solution to your issue... just finding it is sometimes the difficult issue.

thanks guys im going to uninstall and try again maybe that will fix it because yes i did a full scan and second i have the old disks from when the game first came out >_> a zombie disk and a werewolf disk >_>

I can confirm that as of last June the install went to F:\Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons

This might have changed since Virtrium took over... might not

Venom - I still have my old install disks too, but I'd recommned nuking everything, start over with a fresh download from their downloader. You'll still have to patch for an hour (as I recall) but everything will be the newest copies and auto-solve issues like that .dll
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

ok done installing now im patching hope it works this time if it does then woo hoo if not then ill keep trying till i get in *crosses talons*

ok so now im confused it now reads:

"Sorry the game could not be started because the nessasary files could not be downloaded.

the reason:
    couldnt open the file C:\Program
    Files\Virtrium\Horizons\HorizonsLauncher.exe for updating. Access denied. "

feel like im breaking in the pentagon or somthing with all this access denied crap...

Did you patch through the web site first?? Last I checked.. the stand alone launcher will not allow you to patch itself, unfortunately.. perhaps that is something that will be able to be corrected sometime in the future.. but as of yet, tis the way it is.

To get past that error, I had to set the Horizons.exe to run as an administrator and change modify the file settings in the entire folder. For me, they were all marked "Read-Only".

You may want to try that!
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

where can i find this file for administration again?

Thread Information