Thread: The dragon/biped equipment bug is starting to wear thin...

Default The dragon/biped equipment bug is starting to wear thin...

Not sure if this belongs here or in Istaria's rant section...

Everytime I log out, if I close HZ with my equipment window open when I log back in I see an empty biped equipmentwindow.

My choices are:
    to relog (it takes long enough to log in and out as it is, especially if the game randomly decited to re-patch itself.)
    do a ui reset and have to add all my channels again (and having to resize all of them)
    or
    Just deal with not being able to see what scales I have on

Usually... it's #3 though as my playtime is limited and I'd rather spend my time playing the game instead of fighting with the ui. I do enough of that in my other game.

I have the habit of keeping my equipment window open so I can see what I have equipped (as a crafter, I have to switch scales often) or play with my cargo disk I end up in the vicious cycle of leaving the window open when I log so yet again I cannot see my scales at login.

Default Re: The dragon/biped equipment bug is starting to wear thin...

First, from what you're saying, I'm assuming closing your equip screen before you log out isn't helping, nor is /loadui.

If you feel comfortable editing files and making batch files, you can manually close your equipment window before you log into the game by editing one of your pref files. I'd save a copy of that file, then run a .bat to copy that file to where it's supposed to go, then launch the game.

If you want to do this, I can tell you how to edit your file.

Otherwise, I'd suggest making a habit of closing both your equip and vault windows before you log out.

Ooohhh shiny. Yes please ^_^

Edit: Or I was just told turn the loading screen back on.... *feels sheepish*

Interesting. I never knew the loading screen would fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Interesting. I never knew the loading screen would fix that.

These bugs happen only when the loading screen is turned off. So turning it on should solve the problem.

also the bug seems to happen if your in khutit form when you log out, so if you try switching to dragon form first then log out it should help at least so far it's worked for me.

Is that also only with the loading screen turned off, CottenCandy? Or if you log out in khutit form, even if you use the load screen, do you get the wrong equipment window?

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    These bugs happen only when the loading screen is turned off. So turning it on should solve the problem.
    Well, see, I didn't know that either. Silly way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    That bug has never had anything to do with the loading screen. I've seen that bug before, and it was always linked to Khutit form. (I always had loading screen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Well, see, I didn't know that either. Silly way of doing things.
    Can I have that manual fix anyways? I can't stand the loading screen... I miss out on too many chat buzzes so I turned it back off.

If you have the loadscreen turned off, and you log out with your equipment window open, it will log you on with the biped window. I tend to use the "e" key and just switch back and forth with that, have gotten into the habbit most of the time. However, it is annoying if I log out in a hurry and don't see it is open for some reason. I think it should be a relatively easy fix and hopefully is on the list of things to be fixed by the devs. Not sure what connection having the loading screen off would have with the equipment window, and why it would change to bi-ped, but there must be some link in the programming. I agree, it is annoying.
    Bring me my Broadsword, and clear understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    That bug has never had anything to do with the loading screen. I've seen that bug before, and it was always linked to Khutit form. (I always had loading screen.)
    I've never had that bug when the loading screen is turned on. I've never had that bug when in Khutit form, if the loading screen is on.

Honestly i can't remember if i had the loading screen on or off each time it happened, I used to play with it turned off but then here lately started having graphic issues so i had to turn mine back on. I would test this out but my account is canceled right now if someone else wants to take the time to test it that would be great if not i'll do it after the 1st.

Loading screen has nothing to do with it (or it could be a temp fix)

I just get in the habit of pressing "E" before logging to turn off the equipment panel. The problem is in the "default def" file when you log in.

If your equipment window is set to "on" when you log in, it pulls from the default DEF file for all characters (which, if you edit it, says "human" for default I believe) for window initialization.

Other annoying bugs along this line:

Trade window bug (Any time you trade with PC or NPC, all of your open storage windows lose their links to the content, forcing you to reopen them)

Vault lockup (Logging out with vault window open, will not allow you access to your vault when you log back in until you close the window, log out and back in again)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Can I have that manual fix anyways? I can't stand the loading screen... I miss out on too many chat buzzes so I turned it back off.
    Sorry, didn't check the forums yesterday. Let me open up some files and I'll write directions.

Ok. Going to tackle this in two parts. First part will be editing your file; second part will be creating a .bat file.

Part 1 - Closing windows outside the game.

Step 1 - Finding the file.
    Go to your horizons directory and open your prefs folder. Now open the folder for the character having the issues. Open UIPersonal.def in a Notepad/Wordpad-type texting editing program. Make a backup of the file, if you feel it's needed.

Step 2 - See if the window already has a closed state. The windows most people will want to check for are:
    • VaultWindow
    • EquipmentWindow
    Search for either of these terms. If they come up in a line that looks like:
    • UI_LAST_WINDOW EquipmentWindow
    It exists in a closed state. However, if it says:
    • UI_OPEN_WINDOW EquipmentWindow
    It exists in an open state.

I've seen them exist in both states at once before. When that happens, it appears that even if you close the window at log out, it's open when you log in again.

Step 3a - Dealing with two existing states. If the window exists in both spots, just delete the OPEN version. Be sure to delete everything in the brackets after it.
    Code:
    (Delete all of this)
    UI_OPEN_WINDOW EquipmentWindow
    {
        float    Alpha = 0.9
        float    BorderAlpha = 1
        bool    BorderOn = true
        bool    Locked = false
        bool    Minimized = false
        float    MinimizeSaveX = 291
        float    MinimizeSaveY = 127
        float    NormalHeight = 365
        float    NormalWidth = 219
        float    SizedH = 365
        float    SizedW = 219
        bool    TitleOn = true
        int    Version = 2
        float    X = 127
        float    Y = 100
    }

Step 3b - Dealing with only the OPEN state.
    If it only exists in the OPEN state, move the entire bit (see above example) into the "Last Saved info for each window type" section (this part may not be necessary). Then change OPEN to LAST.

Step 4 - Lather, rinse, repeat. Repeat for each window that needs closing.

Step 5 - Saving. If you aren't planning on recopying this every time you log into the game, just save and close. If you want to copy it repeatedly, you can save it as a different name in the same directory. Also remember that this is only good for one character. You'll have to edit other characters' files if you want to change their settings.

Things of interest:

1. You can open almost any window listed here once you know its full name. Just type /window windowname.
    Code:
    Example:
    /window equipmentwindow
    2. I'm not certain, but I believe you can reset windows by removing them from both the LAST and OPEN states. So if a window has vanished and you can't find it, just edit this file.

Part 2 - Creating .BAT files.

An example of the batch file I use to copy prefs and launch the game is shown at the end of the steps. Also note: there may be better ways of doing this. I don't have a need to write .bats often.

Step 1 - New files.
    Start a new document in a program like Notepad or Wordpad.

Step 2 - Know your paths. Open a windows explorer window pointing to the directory both your files are located in. You can copy the location of the file (but not the file name) from here to save on typing.

Step 3 - Copy. The first line in your file should read 'copy "FileLocation1" "FileLocation2" /Y' where FL1 is the file you want and FL2 is your destination. The switch "/Y" tells the .bat file to overwrite the file in the second location, if one exists.
    Code:
    Example:
    copy "D:\Misc Stuff\Kala's Windows.def" "D:\Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons\prefs\chaos_Kala\UIPersonal.def" /Y
    Step 4 - Switch to the Horizons directory. This line should read "cd PathToHorizons" where PTH is the full directory path. This lets your system know what directory to be in when/if you need to switch drives. The next line should be "DriveName:" This will switch drives and is not necessary if you only have one drive, for instance.

Step 5 - Run Horizons. This line should say "horizonslauncher" if you run the launcher. If you skip the launcher, then it should just say "horizons". If you run HZ by launching your browser first, then you'll need to go back to step 4 and change the path to your desktop or wherever that file is located and put that filename here for step 5. Please note that if you try to skip the launcher using this method, there are additional things you need to do, otherwise it WILL NOT WORK. For instructions on how to do this, go here.

Step 6 - Save.
    Save it someplace where you can find it and remember to use it.
    This is an example of what I use to log Zuraneve into the game.
    Code:
    copy "D:\Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons\prefs\ClientPrefs_Launch_Zur.def" "D:\Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons\prefs\ClientPrefs_Launch.def" /Y
    cd D:\Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons
    d:
    horizons
    I hope this helps.

(And no, it doesn't say Artifact Entertainment in my file path. I couldn't find my CD when I was setting up this computer. )

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    If your equipment window is set to "on" when you log in, it pulls from the default DEF file for all characters (which, if you edit it, says "human" for default I believe) for window initialization.
    Hmm, ok, try this:

Open up Horizons\prefs\<shard_char>\ClientPrefs_Main.def

Edit the line that says:
    string playerCharacterEnt = "Human_M"
    to be:
    string playerCharacterEnt = "Dragon_U"

and: the reason why the loading screen being enabled or not would alter the characteristics of this bug may be due to the UI not being initialized until the loading screen is dropped, by which time you would have your character data, know you are a dragon instead of the default human, and the UI knows which equipment screen to use.

So the above fix should work even if the loading screen is off and thus the UI is rendered before you get char data, since the default will now be a dragon instead of a human.

I'll try talking with Jason about removing [or only using as a backup] the redundant playerCharacterEnt from main, and only using the one in ClientPrefs_Character.def which is set to your actual race. Then nobody would have to mess with anything for it to be fixed. I think :P

I have this problem every single time I log on as a dragon .. but /loadui always sorts it out.

The only time I've had a problem even remotely similar to this was when one of my alts crashed with her vault open. I couldn't close it to save my life, so I poked around in files to close it outside the game.

Thread Information