Thread: List of commands in game

Default List of commands in game

I saw in another thread where Frid mentions a possible command (he wasn't in game to check to see if it worked).

Is there any location that lists the commands, including the setpref commands and tells what it does?

I know that I had to do something with some lowestshaderlevel (or something like that) to get my golems not to look muddy brownish colors; however, I had no idea that the command existed or what it did.

I recall that there used to be a LOT more options under video settings that were removed a couple of years ago and we used to be able to "tweak" our settings through the video options a lot more (I think even the sliders were more incremental).

Default Re: List of commands in game

I second that request.... there are TONS of commands that you can issue through setpref that aren't accessible through the UI.

Camera sensitivity, graphic shading options, etc. I wish there was a master documented list of all the switches you can use with /setpref
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

How about we use this thread to start the list, and I'll work on adding it to the KB.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    How about we use this thread to start the list, and I'll work on adding it to the KB.
    Sweet! ^_^ Thanks Velea *runs off to see what kinds of commands she can find*

The only ones I use, and don't close the window, so if they are wrong..please correct me..

/window FPSwindow
    /window lagwindow
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

"/setpref useloadingscreen false" to turn off the loading screen. For those who don't know it yet.

You can find more commands in the command_player.def file in the ressources folder, but I'm too lazy to list them.

That'd be awesome Velea.

I know there are several system ones, I think the one I use is /setpref environmentsystem true and /setpref environmentsystem false

I'm not where I can test the keyword for correctness atm so please correct me if it's wrong.

Another really handy one is fullscreen true, but I don't remember offhand if it's usefullscreen true/usefullscreen false or just fullscreen true/fullscreen false (and I don't remember if I have to preface it with /setpref.

I believe one is "setpref spelleffects true/false" or something like that that sets your spell effects (but not other enviromental effects) to on or off.. There is also one that is something like "setpref maxframerate {valueinFPS}" that sets your maximum framerate to the specified value. In other words, if you set it at 30, then Horizons will always try to render everything at 30 frames per second, but not beyond that.

Not sure what use either of those are (if they are right), but there you are.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I forgot this one: "/setpref useLowestLevelShader true/false"

There are a whole shwackload of them, but I don't know what they are. The ones mentioned so far are pretty much all the ones that I've used.

/setpref combatspelleffects true/false

Ok, I'll chime in on this with a way that can save a lot of experimenting and hunting around for commands. However, I take no responsibility if you frell up your client. In your \Horizons\prefs directory, there should be three .def files that you can open with notepad. You should really not mess with the ClientPrefs_Launch.def file. There are settings in it that are accessable through settings in the game. As well as the other two files. Since these will be the ones you would want to tinker around with the most, lets look at the ClientPrefs_Graphic.def file.

If a line says "bool (something) = true/false", you can change it in the game with /setpref, just type "/setpref (something) true/false". If there is a "float" in front of it, then it requires a numeric input. Ex "/setpref (something) 42". These will not always do anything noticeable or you might have to relog to get it to work. The ones that are the most fun are the camera controls. I've used these commands extensively in the RoP videos that I've made, though few have seen them because I don't want to use Youtube cause they are filmed in a large widescreen format and crunching them down so far ruins it. But here are a few examples of some interesting things you can try.

Try typing in the following... 7 is the default, btw.
    /setpref thirdPersonCameraFollowTension 2
    Now run around and you will find your camera is slow to follow behind you. Set it to a decimal and you will be able to run/fly away from the camera. You can set it to a negative number and the camera will actually move away from your character up to a fairly far distance before it snaps back. Use low negative numbers like -.1 because it seems like the speed is accumulative and if you use higher values, you will get motion sick or have a seizure or something. Try it, you will see.

Now, for the adult/ancient dragons, here is a fun one....
    /setpref firstPersonRotationSmoothing true
    /setpref firstPersonRotationSmoothingTension 1 (or 2) (default of 7 which resets with relog)

Go into first person mode and hold down your middle mouse button and fly around. Instant flight simulator. Tis kind of neat, but again a bit of a caution about motion sickness, especially with the lower numbers. For all players, if you really want to spaz out, set it to -1 then hold the middle mouse and move the mouse around. I can't really describe too well what happens other than just let go the mouse if your stomach can't take it. It'll stop. Do it around someone else cause I think your character will move around and I have no idea what they would see.

But anyway, the camera controls like yaw and pitch and zoom speeds and such are probably the most useful of the bunch. Especially if you make videos. And for those looking for exploits, I've tried to make sure that nothing in there can be used as one before I wrote this. For example, if you see the 'canFly' one, it won't suddenly allow a biped to fly around if you set it to true.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    And for those looking for exploits, I've tried to make sure that nothing in there can be used as one before I wrote this. For example, if you see the 'canFly' one, it won't suddenly allow a biped to fly around if you set it to true.
    Yeah, that one got hard coded in the client a long time ago, just like the gravity for calculating jump height... Most of the exploitable hackery isn't accomplished via / commands, but in the alteration of other def files (somewhat common), or the injection of spoofed packets. (I might be the only one that's done this. :P)

but yeah, /setpref is ONE command, and it sets a preference value. all the preference values that it can set are in the various preference defs. most are fairly obvious as to their function (if possibly ambiguous in their possible settings for ints and floats)

/window is another single command. it just opens a window. you can find a list of windows that it can open in \resources\interface\themes\default\defs any file that starts with UI is for a window that can be opened. many are not useful out of context, but it's useful when doing UI mods because it's often impossible to get to the windows you're modding in offline mode (no NPCs around to trade with, for example).

As for other / commands, all the ones currently available are listed when you do /help These commands are defined in resources\Commands_Player.def and Macros_Plater.def

There's a lot of dev type commands that you don't normally have access to, usually stored in stored in resources_override as Commands_Development.def on dev boxes (as referenced by Commands.def) the most popular ones given out to players being /setscale and /soundReInit

A full list of commands can be found if you're into browsing through executables, but correct usage is often hard to come by. Good luck!

Try adding these to commands_player.def in the manner that soundreinit or setscale is added.

distanceto2 (x/y distance from you to the selected object)
    distanceto3 (x/y/z distance from you to the selected object)

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    A full list of commands can be found if you're into browsing through executables, but correct usage is often hard to come by. Good luck!
    Sure, but without the accompanying .def file, there's no way the commands can work, right? For instance /Printsec and /Printpos work while /printbones doesn't. /serscale works whle /setRot, /return, /summon and /Moveself don't, etc. All these would need that Commands_development.def? (i.e. Correct usage wouldn't matter since they literally don't exist?)

Now the real question <heh>:

/help shows two legal commands: printLoadedTextures and printTriangles. Nothing seems to happen when I issue them. Where does the output go?
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

Quote Originally Posted by Vermithraxx View Post
    /help shows two legal commands: printLoadedTextures and printTriangles. Nothing seems to happen when I issue them. Where does the output go?
    There is a good chance that those are just left over things from beta that should probably be cleaned up and removed from the /help list. There are several like those that have been disabled on the player clients. Like putting the game in wireframe mode. For a while after release you could but I think people were using it as an exploit to look for hidden stuff underground, like seeing what was going to be there with tunnel building events for example, so it was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermithraxx View Post
    Sure, but without the accompanying .def file, there's no way the commands can work, right? For instance /Printsec and /Printpos work while /printbones doesn't. /serscale works whle /setRot, /return, /summon and /Moveself don't, etc. All these would need that Commands_development.def? (i.e. Correct usage wouldn't matter since they literally don't exist?)

Now the real question <heh>:

Those go to the debug console. If you want to see what gets logged in the console (hidden in release build), you could try running the game manually with horizons.exe <options> 1>&2 Debug.log ... not sure if it'll work, but you can try.

while it's true that commands don't work if they aren't defined in a def, there's nothing preventing you from adding the definitions yourself... it just might not work right if you have the wrong number of params, or try feeding the commands bad values. Try at own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    There is a good chance that those are just left over things from beta that should probably be cleaned up and removed from the /help list. There are several like those that have been disabled on the player clients. Like putting the game in wireframe mode. For a while after release you could but I think people were using it as an exploit to look for hidden stuff underground, like seeing what was going to be there with tunnel building events for example, so it was removed.
    I forgot about the setwireframe. That was very helpful for mobs falling through the floor upon death.

Now I use the /setscale to enlarge them and hopefully part of their body pops through the floor.

Question - does the /setscale cap at 2.0 or can it go large?
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    If you want to see what gets logged in the console (hidden in release build), you could try running the game manually with horizons.exe <options> 1>&2 Debug.log ... not sure if it'll work, but you can try.
    Wow, got that way backwards. Should be:
    horizons.exe <options> > debug.log 2>&1

If you've edited your launch def to not require command line params, then you can just do: horizons.exe > debug.log 2>&1

... or you could just enable logs, and look in the debug log ... but that's too easy :P

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    There is also one that is something like "setpref maxframerate {valueinFPS}" that sets your maximum framerate to the specified value. In other words, if you set it at 30, then Horizons will always try to render everything at 30 frames per second, but not beyond that.
    A request for all the wonderful folk coming up with these. For those of us unadventurous and not game-pref savvy folk, the reason for using a command, and the possible range of values for it.

I used the example above, cuz I can't imagine wanting to cap the FPS. From what I've heard, a high FPS value is a good thing.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    A request for all the wonderful folk coming up with these. For those of us unadventurous and not game-pref savvy folk, the reason for using a command, and the possible range of values for it.

I used the example above, cuz I can't imagine wanting to cap the FPS. From what I've heard, a high FPS value is a good thing.
    One of the problems that is found with most games is that it will try to render all the frames it is allowed to, or whatever the default value is. The biggest problem with this is evident, especially in many player towns, as lag spikes. It has been found that if you force your client to restrict the rendering of the graphics card, your PC is better able to keep up with the rendering process and thus creating a smoother overall gaming experience.

Some will not notice much of a difference in framerates and such, as newer PC's are more capable of handling much of the data movement and such that the Graphics card needs, but those with older PC's may notice a significant difference.

As for the range of numbers allowed... Ive tried everything from 15-200.. and all seem to have been accepted without issue.. I don't rightly know what the default number is, so setting it back to standard might be an issue now, but I know for most folks a frame rate over about 60 is quite unnoticeable.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Honestly I don't think that anyone can tell a smooth 35FPS from a smooth 70FPS. Films are only... what? 24FPS? And most people don't complain about *them*. Films are complicated though. They use some weird technique to raise the frequency of the image so that it looks smooth at a low FPS. As I understand it, no human can see individual images above about 60 flickers per second. That's the limit of what our eyes can manage. Above that it will be perceived as perfectly smooth. So anything above 60 FPS is pointless even if no smoothing techniques are used.

I use to play around with Red Baron 3D; in that game it was easy to adjust the framerate. I found that I only really start to notice jaggedness when a game drops to below 20 FPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    I don't rightly know what the default number is, so setting it back to standard might be an issue now, but I know for most folks a frame rate over about 60 is quite unnoticeable.
    In HZ the default maxframerate use to be 80something when the game first launched. I don't know if it still is or if someone changed it.

EDIT: Well, I got it mostly right. Most modern games set themselves to display either 30 or 60 FPS. Human perception of flicker rate depends on many variables though, and can be above or below 60hz depending on those variables. The video game section of the Frame Rate wiki page is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
    Last edited by gopher65; January 25th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.

Thread Information