Thread: Is the first scale hardening quest bugged?

Default Is the first scale hardening quest bugged?

Greetings

I just want to ask if the first scale hardening quest where you have to go kill the named beetle Gritus Maximus is bugged? I've killed him 4 times now with each time having wait over an hour for him to respawn. The quests ask to get the Carapace of Gritus Maximus.

Out of the 4 times I've killed him now I have received 2 normal sand beetle Carapace that doesn't update the quest. Is this normal to have to grind him over and over in hopes he drops a Carapace with his name on or is the quest bugged? Is it normal for such a low level named mob to tediously take so long to respawn?

Default Re: Is the first scale hardening quest bugged?

Hmm... I just did this quest with my son's new dragon about a week ago and it was fine. He got the drop the first time he killed it. Note that's not the first time we killed it together. He had some trouble soloing Gritus, and the first time we tried, I killed it with "uber dragon".

Are you grouped with anyone when killing him? If so, it might help to be sure that you get the killing blow on him, especially if the someone is much higher level than you are.

I will have someone take a look at the quest just to be sure.

As for his respawn, no, it isn't an hour long. He does spawn over a very wide area, though, so it's possible that he spawned at one end of the area (and was killed) while you were at the other end. It helps to have friends grouped with you keeping track of different ends of his spawn region so that when he does pop, they can lay claim to him until you're ready to kill.

Hope that helps.

You might also delete the quest and get it again, just in case something went awry when you got the quest initially. It's possible that the quest itself is fine, but that something is preventing you from being able to progress it.

As Velea mentioned, I'll take a look at the quest itself just to be on the safe side.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

There is a beetle with a rather similar name to the east of Kion. You aren't by chance taking on this (wrong) beetle for your quest? (I know I did... took me a while to discover that this wasn't the exact name from the quest, that I needed another beetle)...

Quote Originally Posted by Galilee View Post
    There is a beetle with a rather similar name to the east of Kion. You aren't by chance taking on this (wrong) beetle for your quest? (I know I did... took me a while to discover that this wasn't the exact name from the quest, that I needed another beetle)...
    Yes I am a fool! I upon th 5th time killing him I did indeed notice I was killing Gritus Gigantus and not Gritus Maxiums. Thx for the replies though everybody!

Thread Information