• have speed reduced by a fixed number

36 16.74%
  • have disks designed to carry specific types of material only

12 5.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Cargo Disk Survey

Default Re: Cargo Disk Survey

I think there are too many different kinds of disks as there is.

Should just simplify it.

First, the more bulk you carry, the slower it goes until it won't take any more at 0 speed.

Second, all of them have 10 stacks. I never saw a reason to force them down to one or two stacks, just to increase bulk capacity. Makes no sense to me. If the thing can carry 12,000 bulk of one kind of material, there's no sensible reason it can't carry 1,200 bulk each of 10 different materials outside of the need to make an artificial game mechanic.

The only other options would be "can fly with", "can portal with", and "can recall with", and tiering would just mean a higher bulk/speed ratio so you can carry more or faster.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Ok I guess I'll put my 2 cents in on this topic. I have not read all of the post, just a few.

I mostly think the cargo disks are fine the way they are, but here are my opinions regarding the current topics:

Poll Options Comments:
    "raise the speed cap"
    -> More speed is always nice, but it does need to be kept within reason. I know that sometimes disks offer no benefit when comparing collecting and dragging resources to a location vs. parking the disk and running around collecting resources. I can harvest travertine and drag a disk full to Morning Light in about the same time it takes me to park the disk in ML and use the run out/recall method to fill the disk, but I do have bonuses to speed from teched gear which is what helps make that possible.

"make each of the main lines have a different purpose"
    -> I'm not sure I understand this totally. If this was implemented though I think there should be disks of the same lvl with different purposes.

"allow recall with some lines"
    -> Not sure about this. It would probably need to be a smaller disk if this was implemented. My main concern is just that you might significantly reduce the usefulness of the other disks vs. a large recallable disk.

"allow teleporting with more lines, but not all"
    -> I think this would be ok for a new type of disk that has been mentioned already and I'll describe it again below. It would be nice to have basically 3 portable disks: slow/large, medium/multi-item, and a small/fast disk.

"allow teleporting with all lines"
    -> I don't think this is really needed, since some lines are not useful.

"have speed capped at a fixed number" & "have speed reduced by a fixed number"
    -> These ideas kinda depend on whether you think disks should be selfpropelled or player propelled. Speeds are already capped for cargo disks so I'm not sure how this would be a change unless you took away road bonuses which I don't want to happen. Fixed number reduction of speed would be nice but might be too variable. If a set # of say 30 was used to reduce speed when pulling a disk, then higher lvls could run anywhere from 20 to 170+ with a disk. If a set % of say 30% was used, then the numbers would be closer at 30 to 120+ with a disk. The % would be more reasonable and would also make speed bonuses beneficial while dragging a disk which would be nice.
    Note: The peak speeds are for short durations. The regular constant speeds for t5 chars would be more like 81 and 67 repectively with a road bonus.

"have disks designed to carry specific types of material only"
    -> I do a wide variety of gathering and would find this to be a pain. I do not want to have to swap disks when I swap resources.

Options Raised Comments:
    In general balancing out pluses to cargo disks with negatives I'd rather not happen if they negate the positive effects the disks give to harvesting time. Otherwise some things would be ok although no one wants things to be harder. These opinions are assuming you make positive changes to cargo disks:

"cargo disks attune to the user the first time they are equipped"
    -> Disks are often passed down to others as people lvl. This would prohibit that and would be inconsistent with the way other gear (cargo, armor, tools, weapons) works. It would increase the need for cargo disks/Tinkerers, but in general I dislike this idea.

"cargo disks become more complex to craft"
    -> The dragon made disks are very complex already to create and I do not think their complexity should be increased. The biped made disks are really not that bad to create, so increasing their complexity would be more reasonable.

"cargo disks require more resources to craft"
    -> This option would be ok as well, as long as the #'s were increased reasonably. I can't remember the #'s for the dragon made disks atm, but a slight increase to the current amounts would be ok as they are already a pain to make.

Other Cargo Disk Changes:
    Ok I kinda mentioned it above but a multi-item portable disk (kinda like the deluxe disk) I really think would be the strongest and most needed change for the system as a whole. Two types would be beneficial, a dragon flyable disk and a biped version of the disk.
    -> Dragon lairshapers really do need a type of multi-item disk for lairshaping because of the complexity of the resources and the spread out nature of resources. This disk would allow them to make lairshaping objects easier. They could port to gather, make items, and apply their loads all with the same disk.
    -> With the upcoming changes to confectioner, this school will most likely become a more populare one. Seeing how confectioner resources are also scattered out and how their formulas are also complex, a multi-item disk that was portable would also give them the same kind of benefits: the ability to port with disk to fill up on various resources and the ability to port to other locations where shops are to make the food. Confectioners could also use this disk to help them restock their supplies.

Well that was a little more than I had planned on, but I hope it helps you all make your decisions regarding disk changes.
    Plot Builder, Faux Rauthar, Kinto Nabora
    Mithril Council on Chaos

Just a quick post to put in something I'm sure developers have thought of ..easy graphic upgrade.. (maybe, no idea on coding requirements)..make ALL disks their primary resource colour like most other tools, and like their icons ..

.. add a different colour for the energy field underneath like you have for the dragon disks .. IF you have different thoughts already for totally altered looks, hopefully the colour factor is in there ..not just ONE same grey for all ..

..maybe while your at it ..same idea for Essence Structurers? ..with a nice glowy effect at the tip for all this magic power we use to build with sources and stuff ..
    Lio de Purr [Proud Saris] -------------------------------- 100 : HLR / SPRT -- 63 MAG
    100 : MIN/GTH - CRP/ENC/FIT/MSN/WVR - JWL - FLT/WPN/ARM - Tlr=80
    Huffenpuff [Adult Helian] ---------------------------------- 100 : DCra -- 76 Drag Adv.
    <The Alliance> Acul - Harro - Wolf's Paw - Drift Pt - Fabric Isle <CHAOS>

Here's a fairly complex idea for ya, how about an option where you could set up a "disk-recall" point. this could be set wherever someone wanted the disk to go, then they could use it to gather materials and hit the disk recall button, and the disk would go wherever they put the recall point. Sounds too easy, right? Here's the catch, it would take 10 minutes (real life time) before the disk appeared at the recall point. This would be good for a new line of disks.

The point of this solution is to get rid of that annoying 3 or 4 minutes of slooooow running.

After having tried the revamped cnf class, I think it'd be awsome to have a multistack porting disk, for confectionners/gatherers only.

I want a disk with enough capacity for 400-500 construction items no matter how slow it is cause even with slowest disk speed I will still get done faster then if I have to make 3 or 4 trips to empty disk.

Now THAT is a portable silo. :P

500*120 = 60000 bulk.. a bit more than a Tier 4.

Probably not...

I can do 140 pieces (70 units at optimal) with Marble Tarbash + pack. I think that is plenty enough, personally.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Ok so call me lazy but I'm not gonna read these 9 pages. Well not yet, I will do at some point

Anyway I've voted on the recall on some lines. Many of us like to take our resources back to our plots/lairs to use later/use on our machines/gather everything needed for one chamber/house then pop it in one go. Right now, that means gathering as much of the resource as you can/need, then making a few expensive transports. I, for example, have a lair on Drakul and, say I'm gathering in Mahagra, would have to pay to port to Dralk, then Drakul. Somewhere without a direct port to Dralk has to add in a port to Bristugo. Though technically I have the cheap, slow option of flying it there as well. However it's not what I would choose first, as useful as it would be.

The option I would truly love is to have one grounded, one equipped disc. I do think it would be too 'overpowered' in a sense, but certainly for lairshaping I would love it. For example I'm doing Maelstones right now. I need 40, this means 800 Caststones and 800 Orbs. Or, 1600 essence, 1600 ore and 1600 slabs. I'm doing it by taking each resource to a relatively handy guildmembers lair nearby and storing two of the resources. I'd much prefer however that I could gather all the ore, park it by the machine (smelter in this case), equip another disc and go get all the slabs, then bring those to the smelter, create all the caststones, leave those in the parked disc and take my equipped one to get the essence.

I DO however think that would be far too useful and *if* such a thing were to be implemented that either the equipped disc should be even slower than normal, or have some kind of restriction put on it as far as bulk goes. Plus that's mainly based on T1 lairshaping; it would be less useful for higher tiers, I can see that at T2 and T3 where the resources are more spread out and the previous techique of dumping it in silos works better.

edit: ok read a few of the posts and also agree with the multi-stack dragon disc. I used to ALWAYS use my lower bulk, multistack disc for lair work on Unity; now that I've gotten used to a flying disc I simply find a non-flying far too much hassle... but I do miss the multi-stacks. It's very annoying to fill myself and my disc with 1600 ore, turn it into 800 bars which barely fill half my disc and then basically waste the other half of the disc while I fill my own scalepack with slabs/caststones as a result.
    Last edited by pevil2000; April 27th, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Since my return to the world of Istaria I have been doing some lairshaping.
    Mostly since that is the only school I must still do 76 lvls.

I must say that I found this to be quite frustrating...
    At this moment I have no flying disc, but I understand that it is 1 stack only, so useless in my eyes.

For the people who dont have a lot of storage I like the idea of having 1 stationairy disc and 1 you carry allong.

To go back on topic I voted for Recall with disk and Teleport to all lines with disc.
    Sure the speed could be higher, but you are carrying something behind you...
    Its not like you have a mule which walks faster then you can.

My favourite disk however would be a flying multistacking "recall and teleport" allowed disc, increased size also wouldnt bother me. (hint, hint, hint )

This has all been done already Disc overhaul is over quite some time ago.

There is a multi stack flying disk avaiable now, Tho they seem to be kinda rare on the market, you may try asking in the market channel to see if someone can make one. Of the other changes to the disk has been speed its now much faster to drag these disk across the world

Whow who cased the thread necro

thought that this has all ready has been done long time ago
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Perhaps a thread like this should just have been closed after changes were made since its still open if found on a search by new players.

Thread Information