Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Default Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

I'm wondering if there's any checks and balances in place to ensure that the characters that are imported for testing don't have a means to hand off their gold, items, etc. to friends in game to hold for them that will be "doubled up" when the "real" import happens?

Especially as the characters might be imported several times over during the testing process. Not that I'm saying that it WILL happen, but it might.

Default Re: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    I'm wondering if there's any checks and balances in place to ensure that the characters that are imported for testing don't have a means to hand off their gold, items, etc. to friends in game to hold for them that will be "doubled up" when the "real" import happens?

Especially as the characters might be imported several times over during the testing process. Not that I'm saying that it WILL happen, but it might.
    Wow. I'd never thought that anyone would ever think about such a thing.
    I'm really unhappy to read this.

I'm sorry if you feel that it's an attack, it's a concern and a possibility and as such, I wanted to ensure that checks and balances were in place to ensure that this *couldn't* occur.

This is different from the server merge of years ago, in that all the characters were transferred at once.

As this is a test on live servers, and with the concerns and unknowns regarding plot reclaimations, coin, tokens, something *could* (not WILL), but could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Wow. I'd never thought that anyone would ever think about such a thing.
    I'm really unhappy to read this.
    I'd hate to say it but I tend to also think the same as the OP. As much as we would hate to admit it there are those out there that will cheat the system given the opportunity. Certainly better to have these things planned before hand then to have to react to them later.

as long as they had it to me I'm down with it.

In all seriousness I'm guessing its only gonna happen rarely, if that, but rarely is still bad.

I know it SHOULDNT happen.

Human nature however has proven that wrong time and again.

I sincerely hope someone has taken into account and have already prepared for such things.

Still a good idea to be sure
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

"There's also been some legal issues that needed resolution. Many of these items have already been completed. Once they all are done, we will ask for “test cases� to be transferred from Unity to Blight to hopefully find any bugs that will only show up once we really start the transfers."

This was written in the News from December. So i think you dont have to fear that such things happens because the testing chars will firstly be transferred to blight.

I hope that's the case, but in the post by Amarie it only mentions that these test cases are transferred to order or chaos.

3) If we find a problem with your character after it has been moved over to Order or Chaos, we will fix the problem on Unity, then re-move your character over. This means that if you've been playing with your character for a few days on Order/Chaos, any experience / items gained will be reset.

It's only five people. Even if they did do this the economy in the game is pretty much barely there. It wouldn't impact anything in the long run They'll just have more items and gold that they really can't do anything with. If they hoard it yet again it really doesn't impact other players gameplay. Though I'm sure the five people picked for this will not exploit the situation.

care to tell us who?
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post

Not very happy to read this also, but anyway...
    Tests will take the time they need to.
    So I don't worry about such things

OMG- I`m really shocked and sad to read this.
    Nobody deserves that
    Good that I`m speachless atm
    (needs some time to cool down)

*having had a coffe and talked to my husband (flameus/FlamsKin)*

dear friends from Unity who are testing transfer atm:
    It`s a shame what`s brought up in this thread, and otherwise I would not have to assure you, that we (from Unity) trust you, und would never even had wasted a thought about such things.

On Unity exploiters were known by names, and it was nearly impossible to play for them for a longer time- even if they sneaked in with alts. And they have been ignored and had to play alone. And there have never been whole guilds
    who had the reputation to do so.
    There was noone who supported them morally or ingame, or tried to palliate
    what they did. Exploiting was not such a big prob on Unity.

dear mates::
    Thank you for your patience and dedication,
    thanks for spending your time and knowledge for the collective good of Unity!
    We esteem what you`re doing.

Lov&Flame

Okay I wasn't clear enough. I'm not unhappy, I'm disgusted. How can you think that people who have lost everything, who have patiently waited one year and two months to get that character transfer to be able to play again, would compromise their char copy by doing such things ???
    And even if they do, don't forget that you've had one year to farm gold while they couldn't. I wouldn't mind giving them extra silver pieces.

Creme, maybe that wasn't your intention, but creating that thread means that you're calling Unity players cheaters and exploiters. And that's not nice.

Really, we don't need such a topic at this moment.

Sad, angry and indeed disgusted here also...

Trying to translate a saying out of my own language: most host's aren't capable of trusting their guests any further then they can trust themselves.
    Last edited by Galilee; February 10th, 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: better translation of the saying

May I point out to all those in this thread that are sad, angry and disgusted at a thereactical exploit situation for those five people picked for the transfer tests that you're jumping the gun way to early and pre judging the morals of those taking part in the transfers tests with no grounds to do so. Relaxe and have a little faith!

Wow, they're on to us!
    We are spreading our wealth among our friends and will take over the lovely world of Istaria. Don't forget we were taking all the plots too!

I'm all with Zexoin and Lov and Galilee.
    I don't believe any of the testers would come up with this idee, I guess it takes one to know one?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'm not entirely certain what to say here. Unfortunately, it's both a valid point and a distrustful thought.

However, as was mentioned in the announcement, their characters will probably be rolled back any number of times on the live shards while they do this test to make sure the processing of the transfer is sound.

I ask everyone involved in this to please have some patience while these tests are underway. Let them get through it all and get everyone from Unity to the live shards safely. And then, let us find in our own hearts the truth behind it all.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I too find the nature of this thread very distasteful. If this was a genuine concern for Creme or anyone else, it would have been far more respectful to send this question to a dev in private, rather than post this public thread. It could have then been handled/discussed in a much more respectful way.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Ill start by saying I'm on order and was never on unity.

The people of the unity shard have sat by , waiting... waiting and waiting. Some have started over with new toons on these shards, longing for their friends to see their original beings that they grew to love Hz as. Some have not been able to, im not sure i could be anyone other than Teto either. I respect and admire their dedication to a game we all love.

Finally word has come down, new gods rule Hz, they are going to breath life into loved toons. Yay the day has come 5 lucky souls will breath istarian air , soon more will come to istaria , the war might not be lost.

Very sad to me after all theyve been through for their welcome to a new and strange land, to be, has anyone frisked them, they might be thiefs. I think people that have logged onto a forum for over a year for a game they cant play deserve a little better welcome than that.

Maybe im just not that smart but what was mentioned here would not have dawned on me if lived forever.

So in closing welcome to the lucky five gifted who were chosen, may your time here be better than your reception in this thread. Look forward to successful transfers of any who want to play, your time has not been wasted showing faith in Hz.

I'm not even playing, but I don't find this thread the least bit distasteful.

Many of us can remember such lovely occurrences as Island hopping land grab, Darkstaff and Friends, Special Rings and Backpacks, Item dupes, and speed increasing.

The painful fact is that there are people who would take advantage of a situation. It's happened many times in the past. To suggest that someone asking for precautions is accusing the unity players of foul play is absurd.

Precautions are just that. Precautions to a possible event. It's like security at a big party. They may be unnecessary as everyone behaves themselves, but they are good to have in case something doesn't work as planned...

Thread Information