Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Default Re: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Good grief, there is no technical answer to the original post here, just folks griping at one another about who's insulting whom. Can this thread be closed please??

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I am not playing as well, but if I was one of the five, I would feel like in a ghetto right now.
    Guilty unless prove otherwise.
    Till the next "concerns" thread that is.
    You know what?
    My friends on MSN asking what they are out for, and that now don't want to return playing anymore because it looks like being unwelcome strangers with all this "innocent" putting hands ahead.
    There is no innocent/guilt in the OP at all. That's the freaking point.

There are laws that state that you can't kill someone. The fact that the law exists doesn't mean that you are a murderer. You didn't kill anyone.

OP asked for safeguards to prevent possible exploitation. The fact that the request is there doesn't mean that they will exploit. They haven't exploited.

You talk like we are rabidly awaiting in a dark corner to exploit the maximum possible given the opportunity, you throw the stones and then put your hand behind your back and say the stones threw themselves.
    The only stones in this thread are the imaginary ones that certain individuals are ducking from. They don't exist and are simply a figment of a defensive imagination.

And of course the OP ASSumes that those five, chosen for their skills and whatever, will have the urge to scam money and similar.
    The OP isn't the one who ASSumed anything.

It's always the same who get full of concerns. Paranoid or just rude?
    It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

I totally agree Vahrokh and Zex, thx for your comments, and thx to all the others who posted here. I´m serious with that.

Not to come back is no good decision at all: We all are (or will be) paying customers, treated equal, with equal duties and rights.
    From the official side.
    We all are welcome- it`s for the good of that game which we all love and want to play more than other games.

What I learned from this thread is: not to take some things
    (posters) too serious. There always might be folks who use our forum for
    profiling, compensating something or simply for babbling.
    (pls realize that I said "might"^^)

Knowing that, and because we all are human, I put some of them off my "friend-list" ,where at the beginning all are listed until proved otherwise.
    And that does not mean "war" but they are simply not on my wavelenghth.
    I do not have to play or communicate etc with them. Istaria is big enough.
    But this is a very personal thing-
    What we really do not need are factions or artificial frontiers.
    They will be gone ingame, I experienced that.
    Come in and find out yourself
    WA is still there-we have a job to do
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; February 12th, 2008 at 12:10 PM.

I think the majority of players on Order will do the same.
    I'd be really sad if players quit due to some nastiness going on here :/
    I have a split of personality here (!)
    I'd tend to go to Order, I want a really friendly community like we had in Europe. I had my "dose" of WoW "community" for 3 years now >_<
    I also like to roleplay... a bit. I actually don't even need to try hard, because I have just to be myself to be a realistic fiery, red, pissed off Lunus dragon ROAR!!!
    On Order there might be an hope for a lair and a better than 25x25 plot in Nowhereland.

At the same time, I checked Order out and it's a complete desert, I am insanely "talkative", I want to have 20 chat boxes throbbing with tells.
    I also love to play "tradesman" and with 20 people online (possibly with every craft school to 100) it looks like hard to do. There's the timezone factor as well, when I played another game, it was hard to find groups because your prime time is like 4am here.

Finally, I have NO idea about that special dragon language used on Order, don't have time to learn it, yet I would feel like an horrid and incomplete player if I did not learn it. I, one of the first group of Unity Ancient, don't even know my own tongue *pulls scales*

On Chaos it looks more alive, more "newbies" seem to start there so I could make bronze things to put on the starter isle(s) for them, there are many I know.
    On the other side, I won't get a decent property anytime soon, non roleplayers tend to be nastier, to camp places like crazy because they really need to level their 115th class to 100 right now.

I also think I risk becoming a beggar, in a game where my hard and honestly earned 16g are as valuable as Argentina currency.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Considering this is a test transfer... why are testing players not being imported to Blight? I would assume this is the course of action being taken. There is little point importing a character to a live shard unless it's for real, and permanent... after testing on blight has taken place.

Nothing can be transferred between shards, so this would remove any chance of foul play.

Rakku

Until they actually do a transfer to Chaos and Order, Spirit, they simply don't know whether it works or not. Though they are indeed rather similar, there are some differences between live and Blight.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

*sighs*

I've been watching this thread, and while intentions may have been good, the way it was phrased brought about a flurry of posts from people who did feel offended. Nothing in the thread though violated any of the forum rules, and there were no personal attacks directed at anyone specifically, which would have warranted the locking of this thread.

As a moderator, I do have the ability to lock a thread for any reason... if it violates a forum rule or not. I don't like to invoke that rule, but I think this horse has been beaten enough.

I'm going to leave it for a day, in hopes that things may improve, but if they don't, then I'll have to lock it. Lets keep things civil, please?

Thank you,

-Menkure

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

for what it is worth, my 2 cents for both sides:

in the immortal words of will smith in 'men in black' -
    don't start nuthin, won't be nuthin!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Lightbulb Re: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Greetings to my fellow Gifted Ones

As I understand it, the owners of the five Unity accounts being transferred are essentially "beta testers" in preparation for the "big" move later. If that is not the case, then I apologize and please ignore the rest of this post.

However, if the "beta tester" premise is correct, then I feel we have missed a larger reference point. As a software developer by trade (I'm in the defense industry, not the gaming industry) I know how important it is to thoroughly beta test software to find the bugs in it.

Hence, in order to wring as many bugs out of the code before the "big" transfer takes place, I encourage the Unity beta testers to try to find as many exploits as possible (!!) -- and if an exploit is found, then immediately bug report it. I.e., in the interest of the most painless big move as possible, it seems to me that finding as many bugs and exploits as possible before hand would be "a good thing" not "a bad thing".

If I have offended anyone, I apologize
    Sent

At this point, I stopped caring.

All anyone got out of this is to, ignore certain posters becuase they disagree. Well that makes the forums less useful. I like very few people, *everyone* has valid points. To ignore any sources of information is unwise. I quite frankly agree with less than 40% of what I read on here. Doesnt make it invalid or false. I'd liike everyone to keep taht in mind, would make this forum, the game, and hte world a better place, if the ignorant would stop and think.

That being said, I would like to point out to the poster of this thread that, everything on here is just flame bait waiting to happen. Gamers are the most opinionated people in the world. Or so I have found. Expecting anything good to come from voicing concerns here is ludicrous. Or so I have found. Hoping to raise awareness of things, has become fruitless. or so I have found. I'm exasperated. I wish none of that was true.

I wish the CS could at least take time...or anyone with authority for that matter, to say...everything is under control.

i don't care if its a lie, people in charge have to lie to keep people happy. politicians do it all the time. Thats not to say they'd be lying in stating that, simply a good idea to put fears to rest in any case: true or not.

So since this is gonna be closed before I am near a computer again....*sigh* I know one of the testers wont pull that crap. So that leaves 4 to those of you who are worried about it. as for myself...I just dont care. i rarely get apathetic, but if nothing will be done or can be done and the populous doesnt care, i wont stress over it.

I'd like to see more population in game, I just hope not everyone adds to the ever so touchy population I play with now. I've taken to carrying a box of tissues with me for peopel I talk to, seriosuly...its that bad.

Take care people and hope to see you all in game, in a better mood than people ever are here
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

I have to agree with the original op. While I happen to agree this might have been better sent privately to a Dev, that's just becuase it's usually a good idea to not discuss exploits on the boards -- makes them more likely to happen, not less.

The original question was honest and VERY reasonable. This game has a LONG history of exploits and if one can be nipped in the bud that's very good. Just because someone points out an exploit which someone might be able to do is NOT an accusation.

If someone points out an exploit which could be done by a dragon I don't feel like I've been singled out just because I play a dragon. I welcome any effort to squash exploits doable by dragons or anyone else. Likewise, if someone points out an exploit which could be done by a Unity import I don't think Unity players have any call to be offended either.

This will be my last comment in this thread. For those of you who think because someone suggests that there's the potential of wrongdoing in others that they *must* have had similar thoughts and therefore must be bad...

What about policemen, security guards, security consultants, etc.? It's their job to make sure people are safe by coming up with ways that others might use to do harm and doing their best to prevent bad stuff from happening.

Oh, sure, there are places where the law enforcement agencies are corrupt or ineffective...but how often do you accuse them of making you feel unwelcome? Unsafe? Victimized?

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    On Chaos it looks more alive, more "newbies" seem to start there so I could make bronze things to put on the starter isle(s) for them, there are many I know. On the other side, I won't get a decent property anytime soon, non roleplayers tend to be nastier, to camp places like crazy because they really need to level their 115th class to 100 right now.
    I've found a home on Chaos, and I very very rarely come across anyone like this. Sure, they exist - like in any game - but they usually get jumped on, and I suspect with the plot reclaims that you may well get a decent piece of property.. 16g is a lot more than my measly 1.5g

If character transfers between shards were available, I *may* consider moving to Order, but I like the Chaos that is Chaos.. You'd be welcome here, I know!
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    This will be my last comment in this thread. For those of you who think because someone suggests that there's the potential of wrongdoing in others that they *must* have had similar thoughts and therefore must be bad...

What about policemen, security guards, security consultants, etc.? It's their job to make sure people are safe by coming up with ways that others might use to do harm and doing their best to prevent bad stuff from happening.

Oh, sure, there are places where the law enforcement agencies are corrupt or ineffective...but how often do you accuse them of making you feel unwelcome? Unsafe? Victimized?

That's all.
    This will be my last comment too.

I really wasn't aware it was the OP's JOB to make sure no harm could come upon us. I didn't know the OP was in the security business or something like that.
    To be short, this comparisson doesn't cut wood.

And really, you first have to think of something before you can be afraid someone else will do it. There are lots or proverbs and such in all languages about that.

But, play on all, like it seems the test-import goes smoothly and I can't wait to see my old chars back again.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

*sends Sigi that "special" dragonbreath*

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Until they actually do a transfer to Chaos and Order, Spirit, they simply don't know whether it works or not. Though they are indeed rather similar, there are some differences between live and Blight.
    Well... if they absolutely must use the live shards, and they're only taking 5 people as a test, they'd really be rather silly to do anything unsporting for the Istarian way. Perhaps we should trust, although I'm sure Vitrium could just log everything and go through it at the end of testing.

It'll all be fine no worries.

Rakku

Wow... Not sure what else to say at this point... The players from unity have been without their characters for what? Almost 2 years? Vitrium takes the reins and starts making progress on bringing those characters back to life and the only thing the rest of the community can say is OMG 5 people might have a chance to defraud the istarian world and possibly double their finances... in a game...... That they havent been able to play for 2 years (or is it one year? either way...)

Some people need to pull their heads out of their backsides me thinks.

Grow up folks. Unity has been down for so long at this point my heart bleeds for them. You all are complaining that out of the 5 people that Vitrium chooses to test the migration they:
    A) Are going to choose the biggest low lifes around who are intent on nothing more than increasing their wealth ingame.
    B) Are going to choose people whose only intrest in the game is Squeezing an extra what? 5 gold? 10 gold? Hell so what? 100 gold?

Do you all see how rediculous this whole discussion is? Five players are being used as test characters to see if the importation of the unity database is working correctly. Several measures can be taken to see that the problem doesnt even exist....

Has it ever occured to you people throwing stones that Vitrium simply doesnt re-transfer the chars they have already transfered? To delete those 5 accounts from unity before the mass transfer is done would take all of about 5 minutes... I mean thats only one of a hundred different ways this could and Im sure IS being handled.

To see the ammount of animosity and arrogance beign tossed around here towards players who have suffered like no others through all of Horizons bumps and hiccups is pretty disgusting.

Give your heads a shake. And to Vitrium I say good on you and congrats to all of the Unity players who will finally get to see their long lost characters. Yay!

It's quite easy - Unity players don't do stuff like that. Period.

Maybe you should worry more about the macroers and cheaters currently roaming around on Chaos before u get hung up on those 5 test accounts.....

Well Ive read all this and shook my head so much , something fell out of my ear LOL.
    Anyhow , only thing I can offer is to the 1's that feel slighted by what all that has been written here, that you are welcome to come to Blight Server vs live, we tend to be open to existing new players coming to Blight from Live well that sounded strange , but were more used to that thing happening,.
    The thing I don't get and that I don't understand in all this is well , if people that are/were on Unity transferring their toons to live/blight what ever they would have an active account and not an inactive one, so they are already known to be honest decent people
    or not as the case may be. Its just like someone adding an new alt not a totally new person joining the game.
    I also think it would be really neat ( well I'm never on live ) but seeing a _unity tag on them so they get a bit of extra respect and a COOL glad you finally made it type thing from others.
    just my 9k Paso's
    Andy.
    Last edited by MarshDog; February 13th, 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

... and it`s still the best community of all

Thread Information