Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizons/Vista problem

Default Horizons/Vista problem

I have Installed Horizons on my computer with vista and when i first played it it worked fine but the next day i was gona play horizons the patcher worked fine but the only problem is it says "Horizons.exe" has a problem and the game won't run

i been Trying to reinstall it then it worked but next day it dint work again with the same problem Can some one please help

Default Re: Horizons/Vista problem

There are several threads about the Vista problem. The issue has no been solved but thre are workarounds, please use the search tool.

Hopefully Vista SP1 will help, but dual booting with Windows XP (or another supported operating system) will save a lot of headaches.

Yeah there is several threads discussing vista already.

In summary -

- jump through hoops each time your computer reboots to get it to work.
    - get it to work and never reboot your computer again (it's the restarting of vista that causes the problem)
    - install the Release Candidate of Vista SP1, it has worked for many and may work for you. Warning though SP1 is prerelease and time limited software until officially released.

First uninstall horizons form your system and remove any folders that may remain. Then Install Vista service pack 1 RC. Then install Horizons. Next go in to the horizons folder and give permanent run as administrator to Horizons.exe, HorizonsLauncher.exe and SilentPatcher.exe. Then Turn off UAC for your Vista. If you still get issues download and install the 2005 C++ Libraries service pack, but I don't think this step is needed any more with Vista sp1 Rc.

Ack, i lost power last night and now i cant download the sp1 or sp1 Rc.. any suggestions because hz wont start up now for me with out eather...
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

Not really sure what your situation is. As far as I'm aware there's no limit to how many times you can download the Sp1. Unless you mean the power cut happened whilst the Sp1 RC was installing itself. If that the case it's best to back up your data then wipe the hdd and reinstall Vista. Patch up with windows updates then apply the sp1 rc again.

never mind got it to work with out the reinstallation of sp1
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

A couple of days ago Windows update installed a few patches (not sp1) automatically and now, Horizons works! Didn't touch anything else and it seems to work consistantly.

Patch up your copy of Vista and see what happens. I'm using Vista32 Home Premium. Only proviso is to untick the .net patcher, as that doesn't seem to work here.

Hope this helps;

Rakku

Checking now... the .net patcher doesn't work for me either, but I managed to get the old web patcher to work (first time). Seeing if it launches now...

EDIT: Nope, didn't launch. But it did come up with an error for once. I'm going to try installing the 2005 C++ Libraries and see if that changes anything (and I did have HZ set to full user rights).
    Last edited by gopher65; February 18th, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    Checking now... the .net patcher doesn't work for me either, but I managed to get the old web patcher to work (first time). Seeing if it launches now...

EDIT: Nope, didn't launch. But it did come up with an error for once. I'm going to try installing the 2005 C++ Libraries and see if that changes anything (and I did have HZ set to full user rights).
    This was after running windows update? This is the history of my Windows Update, since Hz's started working. Before the earliest date on this, Hz's didn't work. The only other things installed was the Office 2007 SP1 and a new spam filter for Outlook 2007. I suppose there could have been related components installed in that?

Anyway here it is... might be worth comparing it to the update history on your Vista setup.

Rakku

This is what I have. I just ran update. No new ones available. I have Vista 32-bit Home Premium. English edition, on the chance that they actually made separate editions and didn't just put in a language filter.

Gopher;

Looking through your list, there are two I have that you don't it would seem. They are the first and last on my list. One seems pretty unrelated...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930857

But the second is interesting...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930883 ... the key words there are "Programs that play audio stop working". There is a note later on stating "Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix." ... Sp1 very likely contains this fix. I'll keep my talons crossed for you with this patch then.

Rakku

Updated Vista today. HZ launched after first reboot, but not after the second one *sighs*

Mine stopped working yesterday. I'm back to the "horizons.exe has stopped working" error. I've given the horizons.exe full control and all the files in the Horizons folder are writable.

One big change I did do was uninstall Norton IS 2007 and install Avast, so I'm back to the Windows firewall. Horizons is added to the list of exceptions. The patcher (.net and the normal one) works fine, game tries to start but I get the error before anything happens.

I'm completely foxed.

Rakku

Windows firewall is completely worthless, so I would just disable it completely. IF you really need a firewall get a real one. The Windows one simply does not protection aganist anything, it only hampering legitimate programs from running correctly. A hardware SPI firewall on your router should be enough unless you run a small bussiness from your home network. Then you would probably have a stronger cisco based hardware firewall.

Default Vista support soon?

When are the devs going to an official Vista support? I want to play but can't since I have Vista and don't want to install junk on my computer in order to maybe get it to work;(

Default Re: Vista support soon?

Merged threads. Don't need one more new thread asking about Vista support.

Quote Originally Posted by DLMyth View Post
    When are the devs going to an official Vista support? I want to play but can't since I have Vista and don't want to install junk on my computer in order to maybe get it to work;(
    Not for a very long time. A lot of work very small dev team. Even the Unity transfers are proving weeks and weeks of work. I wouldn't expect an offical Vista fix until at least Q3 2008 if the Vista sp1 RC is having no luck for you.

One thing I can add here... for me personally...

Original Vista Home Premium... worked as it came installed.
    Patched first time ... Horizons didn't work.
    Unknown patch/change ... Horizons worked again.
    Unknown patch/change and swapped from Norton to Avast ... Horizons doesn't work again.

That final patch also broke the software for my mobile phone. What the f*** are MS playing at. I shouldn't have to keep patching software after 'fixes' for an operating system.

Given that the goal posts keep moving, I do wonder how a Vista fix can be made. I'm just waiting for a few games to stop working too. I'm installing all games on Xp now, directx10 bangles or not.

Rakku

Thread Information