Thread: Light sources for biped plots

Talking Light sources for biped plots

Been doing lots of planning and work on my plot of late, and something I would love to see (esp when it gets dark in game) is the ability to build lamps, torches, a glowing orb on a stick, anything that actually gives off light. A light source in game so it actually lights up an area instead of just glows itself not having effect on the surrounding structures.

I know I can turn off the sky and make it day all the time, I know I can raise the brightness or gamma. However it does not look as cool as lights, and I would really to be able to add them to my plot. Maybe depending on the type of light be dependant on tinkerers (mechanical light source)or a scholar(glowing sphere), etc.
    Segorian_Bounty - Elder Adult Dragon - Chaos
    Mearis - Saris - All around biped crafter - Chaos
    ....Toooo many alts to list them all

Default Re: Light sources for biped plots

Agreed. Being able to line plots that have sacrificed the space for walkways with lamp posts would be awesome

Would there even be lamp posts in Istaria? *spits out a gnome* You there! *points in a direction and roars a command* Get to work!

Hmm... at the very least, improv ones should be possible this day and age by sticking bright wisps in a jar on the top of an iron rod. You could even pick different soft light colors by using different kinds of wisps.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Would there even be lamp posts in Istaria? *spits out a gnome* You there! *points in a direction and roars a command* Get to work!
    there are lampposts in istaria already......i repaired 2 of them in sanc bay on blight......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Light sources are actually one of the most expensive graphical items in the game because of the impact they have on nearby objects and players. When designing areas of the game, we always try to keep the number of lights in any scene (the viewable area when looking in a direction) to a minimum (meaning 1 or 2).

So while I also love lots of lights and their effect, keeping them to a small number is very important. Especially since in many places player towns are already pretty heavy on the game performance.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Well wait a sec Amon; I know this is probably adding a LOT more work than you guys need to be devoting to plot customization right now, but as a longer-term idea what about an option to turn the light effects from those plot-constructed streetlamps on/off as a player option?

This way players that want lamppost-lined walkways can have them, but players can turn off the light effects from them if they find it slows their system down... but they still get to see the classy look of a walkway lined with the posts.

I dunno... it would be a neat touch if it can be done, and a couple of different styles - perhaps racial styles - would give plots even more customizability and a more homey feel.
    Last edited by Steele; March 11th, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Thread Information