Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VISTA pretty please

Default Re: VISTA pretty please

I believe it IS one of their top priorities - but it's just one of those things that is a bit tricky to implement.

Have faith, I'm sure it'll be soon. They probably just want to get this Unity thing done with, as the Unity players seem to have been waiting longer than Vista players... ^^;

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i guess it is true that no matter how hard or fast you work, you will never make everyone happy.

i don't know what to tell you, summ - quite a few of us (myself and my bro snake included) have followed anne's instructions in the 'consistantly working under vista' thread and have been playing all along - so it can be done.
    its not easy, and if you have to shutdown, you are in for fun times rebooting until it takes again, but you can play if you really want to and are willing to do the work.
    i am looking forward to the vista fix and read in teh interview where they are working on it. it is getting not only the attention it deserves, but all the attention vi can spare for it as well.

for everyone: i know you don't care, those that do this sort of complaining, but you are really starting to get on my last nerve with this 'devs/vi/gawd himself isn't doing enough'.....things are getting done when they can be done and at the pace they can be done at. vi is working harder than just about any other owner i have suffered under. grow up and learn some patience.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    It's a 12 gig operating system that burns up a gig of memory - do the math. I set up a friend's laptop with Vista this winter, killing all the flashy stuff and the all the nonsene. I basically turned into Win98 mode. The effect on CPU and memory usage was hardly noticable - it still burned a gig of memory.

All OS upgrades runs similar software a bit slower, but there's a difference between having a shave and having one's head cut off. Fun part is of course that hardly anything older then 1 year works at all. There is no OpenGL support. The file structures are a nightmare. Remember in the old days, when all game files was placed in the install folder? With XP, savegames and pref files were moved into my documents/my games. With Vista, they are spread into HIDDEN system folders; users and documents / local settings / application data etc...

It's so silly that it's...well, silly...

If you're looking at Vista's memory usage in the same way as Xp's then that's where you're going wrong. Windows Vista has a radically different approach to memory management! You have to stop thinking of system memory as a resource in Vista and start thinking of it as a a cache. Just like the level 1 and level 2 cache on your CPU, system memory is yet another type of high-speed cache that sits between your computer and the disk drive.

The most important rule of cache design is that empty cache memory is wasted cache memory. Empty cache isn't doing you any good. It's expensive, high-speed memory sucking down power for zero benefit. The primary mission in the life of every cache is to populate itself as quickly as possible with the data that's most likely to be needed-- and to consistently deliver a high "hit rate" of needed data retrieved from the cache. Otherwise you're going straight to the hard drive. So yes Vista will appear to be using more memory if you're not aware of how Vista uses memory compared to XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenclaw1 View Post
    If you're looking at Vista's memory usage in the same way as Xp's then that's where you're going wrong. Windows Vista has a radically different approach to memory management! You have to stop thinking of system memory as a resource in Vista and start thinking of it as a a cache. Just like the level 1 and level 2 cache on your CPU, system memory is yet another type of high-speed cache that sits between your computer and the disk drive.

The most important rule of cache design is that empty cache memory is wasted cache memory. Empty cache isn't doing you any good. It's expensive, high-speed memory sucking down power for zero benefit. The primary mission in the life of every cache is to populate itself as quickly as possible with the data that's most likely to be needed-- and to consistently deliver a high "hit rate" of needed data retrieved from the cache. Otherwise you're going straight to the hard drive. So yes Vista will appear to be using more memory if you're not aware of how Vista uses memory compared to XP.
    Dang, beat me to it. Vista calls it Superfetch. Linux distros and BSD distros will do the same thing.

As for Vista's performance, I noticed nearly no drop in FPS among my various games going from XP32 to Vista 64. Of course, ATI has always had superior Vista drivers to Nvidia's though. Nvidia's more recent Vista drivers are supposed to be decent, however.

Has anyone here been around long enough to remember previous MS OS releases? I recall all the same arguments going from Windows 3.11 to Win95, from 95 to 98, from 98 to 2k, and from 2k to XP. People simply got stuck in a rut with XP and don't want to take the time to learn. Developers and hardware manufacturers got stuck in the same rut, most had access to the Vista betas well before even Technet subscribers. Larger vendors had access Vista beta code back in 2005. Having no Vista support and poor drivers for hardware is a sign of extreme laziness and not the fault of Microsoft.

i understand it is a difficult thing to get vista compatable and i do understand these things take time. I will patiently await some further progress.. i know there is alot on their plate so to speak. I am just really hoping to be able to play with my loved ones. It has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride of hope and dissapointment is all..
    - we all play to have fun ... so lets group up and kill something

Ryley Redbeard of Order
    Summbuddy Fumbuddy of chaos

we managed to get Horizons working on my hubby's computer under Vista yesterday.

SP1 installed, and the trick was allowing both Horizons.exe and silentpatcher.exe access through vista's own firewall.

but it worked!
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Firewall isn't enabled over here, as isn't DEP, UAC, Bit Defender, User is Admin, Horizons should run as Admin, etc... Silentpatcher isn't any problem on my PC, just horizons.exe crashes imideately...

Never got it to run, since (retrail) SP1 was installed.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Try turning off Superfetch. I couldn't get it to run at all before I turned that off, but now it runs about 1 out of every 8 computer restarts. Keeps running until I restart again.

where do you go to turn off superfetch?
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Been watching the forums for months on this issue and please don't be insulted but STOP! trying to get vista to work with out complaining. Until the client is fully ported to vista code its a fruitless waste of time. There is too many variations in every pc that people have to claim this or that work around works flawlessly! In the Rick Simmons interview that was done last week it was mention that they are working on a vista client. Until thats uploaded I'll stay with Xp for months to come or even years. I haven't tried Vista and have no expectation to do so until the next version comes out in 2010. Well thats my say in this. Ktrones
    Nodaken

Been watching the forums for months on this issue and please don't be insulted but STOP! trying to get vista to work with out complaining. Until the client is fully ported to vista code its a fruitless waste of time. There is too many variations in every pc that people have to claim this or that work around works flawlessly! In the Rick Simmons interview that was done last week it was mention that they are working on a vista client. Until thats uploaded I'll stay with Xp for months to come or even years. I haven't tried Vista and have no expectation to do so until the next version comes out in 2010. Well thats my say in this. Ktrones
    Nodaken

I'll assume that asking for a linux client is an entirely fruitless endeavor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
    I'll assume that asking for a linux client is an entirely fruitless endeavor?
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ighlight=linux
    Or how to run hz with Linux and Wine

Ah so I did not need to delete my post. I even had the wine part right. Just did not see the post at a glance so deleted it.

The best course of action with Vista is for dev-created support for it. Work-arounds are only good for a small percentage of systems, as practically every pc has a different configuration. They are "Personal Computers" after all.. *Personal*

I have ATI graphics, and I'm aware that ATI's driver support for Vista is currently ahead of Nvidia. When Horizons worked on my "out of the box" vista system, it worked very well ... on par or better than it does on xp. I think this is because of the memory caching (the reason Vista uses lots of ram in a Linux-ish way).

If it was more compatible, and loaded quicker, I'd probably like it. For organising a good 10gigs of photo's, the explorer system and decent size thumbnails is brilliant.

Rakku

I really wish the devs could give some sort of update on the Vista issue. Ever since my last windows update, I can no longer get the game to run no matter how many times I restarted.

I've ended up canceling 2 of my subs since I can't play the game
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Quote Originally Posted by cauri_order View Post
    where do you go to turn off superfetch?
    It's best not to turn off superfetch. If you want to see why. Do a benchmark run on your system with 3dmark with superfetch on, then again with it off. Then compare the two scores.

Well, as temporary "fix" I shrunk my Vista partition by 5G and installed Win XP with the program that comes on the Vista DvD and then installed Windows XP in it.

Now, I am still in the middle of the installation... hope it'll work as a temporary workaround.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

My efforts worked and now I am in! The good news is that I could share almost everything (including Horizons) residing in the Vista partition from the XP installation, without even a need to reinstall.

I have been welcome by several cool and supportive people, I am going to tell my other friends to ask to be migrated on the US servers as well.

Among the others, a special dragon size thank you to the following guys:

- TheGolden
    - Quianna
    - LaughingOtter and his warm guild mates
    - Guaran
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    My efforts worked and now I am in! The good news is that I could share almost everything (including Horizons) residing in the Vista partition from the XP installation, without even a need to reinstall.

I have been welcome by several cool and supportive people, I am going to tell my other friends to ask to be migrated on the US servers as well.

Among the others, a special dragon size thank you to the following guys:

- TheGolden
    - Quianna
    - LaughingOtter and his warm guild mates
    - Guaran
    Fantastic glad to see you're ingame again Vahrokh!

Rakku

Thread Information