Thread: best size of a lair?

Default best size of a lair?

ok i found lairs with for example
    5x5x6 (sounds like the best for me)
    6x4x6
    5x4x7
    4x3x10

all is multiplied with 24 so a 5x5x6 lair is 120x120x144

what is best to put lairs/halls in it? i dont want a grand hall but i fear that 5x4x7 or 4x3x10 is not very handy

i dont like lost space because my lair got a bad format

anyone here has not a 5x5x6 lair and can tell us his experiences please?

Default Re: best size of a lair?

Lairs are giant 3-D puzzles. The smaller the size, the more difficult it is to rearrange the pieces to fit properly.

I had a 6x3x8 and while I got the pieces of the puzzle to fit with no lost space, it was very frustrating that I could not change anything I wanted without having to re-build the entire lair, so I did end up moving to a different size. Anything with a 3 in it and you will be having a tough time putting the puzzle together. It's do-able, it will just take longer to plan out.

I will say, if I had a choice and I could get a hold of that 4x6x6, I would do it. Most players will thell you they prefer the 5x5 or a 4x5, but in my experience with my 6x3, as most lair pieces are 2 and 3 across, you will have a far easier time fitting pieces of the puzzle in without any lost space if they are divisible by both.

I'd go for something where all three dimensions are similar. Too much in one direction (say depth) and suddenly things don't fit.

On a somewhat related note, does the entry point to the lair move at all? The lair I owned on Unity had the entrance in the middle of one of the sides and it made it quite difficult to fit things around, especially on the top floor. Are there lairs with entrances at the corner?

Yeah I have a lair with the entrance in the corner.

I've had a 4x4x8 and two 5x5x6 in my time. The 5x5x6 I find 'better' simply because if the worst comes to the worst, I can put corridors down the middle and put t5 stuff down each edge (most t5 stuff is 2 wide), though I like to try and just fit the rooms to each other so it all flows nicely into one.

Where the entrance is does seem to make a difference too; I've had one in the middle and one at each corner I think. My current one is over on the left corner and it's not too bad, but I've had to start the lair with a bend, which I hate doing. My old one had it in the right hand corner and I was able to start with a T2 lair I think. Just remember you can't often build under the entrance (or you may be able to fit in limited types of chambers, I forget)

Of course it depends what tier of lairs/halls you want as well; the T5 lair is 3x2x3 so in a 4x4 you end up with one space down one side of the lair and two down the other, or in a 5x5 you can have 2 down either side (or 1 every side if you plonk it right in the middle )

In all honesty I find the wider the lair, the better. I tried a 3x3 once... doable certainly but I wasn't so keen on it.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Really? Wow. The 4 that I have owned all have thier entrance on the left hand side of the square. I would love to see one with the entrance on the right side as that would mean you could put something that is T6 at the entrance.

I've been rather jealous of the NPC tinkerer as his lair opens up into libraries :P

Edit: you can only put bend and straight pieces underneath the entrance, but at least it is something.
    Last edited by Shian; April 21st, 2008 at 09:28 AM.

Hmmm.. I think it's a matter of what you want to plan in it.
    If you plan to have lots of crafting chambers with silos, then 5x5 or 6x4 lairs are awesome. If you're planning to put in lairs n halls into your lair, then in my opinion a 5x4 lair is the best. Especially if yer going to plan in a grand hall :P
    When you plan in a grand hall you lose 4 floors by default though. With a 4x6 lair You still have space to plan in 2x2 chambers next to it though.. S'all about personal preference I s'pose :B

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Really? Wow. The 4 that I have owned all have thier entrance on the left hand side of the square. I would love to see one with the entrance on the right side as that would mean you could put something that is T6 at the entrance.

I've been rather jealous of the NPC tinkerer as his lair opens up into libraries :P

Edit: you can only put bend and straight pieces underneath the entrance, but at least it is something.
    The first 5x5x6 lair I owned had the entrance right smack-dab in the middle... Hardly space-efficient at all. The one I own currently enters from the far right corner, which I find hugely more convenient as far as space usage is concerned.

I really wish there was a way to see exactly where the entrance is located BEFORE purchasing a lair... Or, better yet, being able to move it at will!

Thread Information