Thread: ie runtime error @ character creation

graynomad

Default ie runtime error @ character creation

Im new and have not been able to get horizons running. I fixed some other problems I had by completely reformating my hard drive now I get to the create character screen and it gives me [ Visual C++ error runtime library]and asks me to contact the tech support(Like I got a week to wait for their reply.). This seeem like an easy fix. I'm not a fan of Internet Explorer. If horizons functions better under another browser I'll use it. UnderMozillaFirefoxthe create character button is not working. Is there a patch or update I maybe need to install?Anyhelp would beMUCH appreciated. The Gray Nomad

Default Re: ie runtime error @ character creation

You get this error when you click the "play horizons" button?

If this is when it occurs then this is an ActiveX error. The play horizons button launches the patching ActiveX control to patch the game files. If you are getting an error it likely means that the file is corrupt or that you do not have sufficient permissions in IE to run or download the control.

It is recommended that IE security settings be at medium or below to play Horizons and that you give permission for the ActiveX launcher control to be installed when it prompts you.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

graynomad

Yes. It is when you select Play Horizons.I really researched the C++ visual runtime error thing on the internet Sunday 31. Found out I did have a virus on my Media Player and wiped it thanks to Bazooka. Next I found that it may be because it is tagged in my registry. Yes it was and I took it out. Next I adjusted Media Player to not allow any other computer to "uniquely identify my player" still IE shuts it down. Am I on the right track? Is Media Player used at all? These were suggestions I found from other sources.Aluria's Spyware says Im free of viruses and spyware ect. I try my settings as you suggest. Then maybe erase and reload IE in case it was corupted? Thanks for your support. Nomad

Nomad,

No, it isn't related to Windows Media Player. But congrats on getting rid of a virus. You are using IE 5.5 or higher, yes?

Try going into Tools->Options->Settings->view Objects and then right-click and remove the "Launcher" control. Then close IE, clear your temporary internet files, reboot your computer, and then log back into the horizons page. That should reinstall the file and prompt you to accept ActiveX controls.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

graynomad

I'm running IE 6.0. The launcher was erased as was every thing else in objects. Then I erased temp files. Same error message as before. the launcher is back and it is coded to horizons by Artifact Entertainment so it is their own version. It is 544,768 bytes of info. Is that a completely loaded program? My IE works fine in all other instances an isn't glitchy at all - no other runtime errors either. Any other ideas? Thanks Nomad.

graynomad

Reloaded IE and gave it a try with new prog. Same 'ole same. I'm out of ideas on this. The horizons program has been reloaded also with no results. The copy works fine (but slowly) on another CPU with 56k. so its not the horizons disk. Done SCANDSK too. Help. Im playing Diablo II but I want to play Hor-istia. Spitting mad! Nomad.:8p*

graynomad

Who's this we have here?

graynomad

Checking out my new avatar "Guardian of my Skys, Protector ofKnights, Fabricator of Breakfasts and Wielder of Hot Irons. Princess Blue Eyes Elfkin."

graynomad

I'm bored. So Im going to fill in the blank time with a little bit of monty python.
    If you mind log off now. If you dont mind,you should. It foryour own good. By the way have you got any cheese at all?Hello I'm Wappcapplet,AdrianWappcapplet ofMousefat- Goosefollical-Mooselobe-Amperzant-Wappcapplet-Vandetter and Prang. All lawyers will come with their owndisclaimer. If found dead please put in the post at: 666Middle Way, Sussex West,England.Post non-refundable. Good nightfrom Dollywood. Ron "Tater Salad" White says bye! This is just the 2nd time I've been on T.V. Nomad

Rilramar

just a quick thing since you said recent reformat. You did get the updated .NET from windows update?

graynomad

Thanks for the idea.I however havethe current .Net. As well as almost all downloads that are remotely close to any thingI may need. It is a problemwith mycomputer obviously, yet I don't know what, since everthing else on her (Jezebel) runs ok. ???????? I'm still not in Horizons and I'm going to cancel since "I can't get no satisfaction" so to speak. See you on someother game system ( EverQ2 maybe?) Nomad

Thread Information