Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic mob respawn timer

Default Epic mob respawn timer

I'm clearing this thread because of pure sillyness....
    Last edited by Amerelium; April 24th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.

Default Re: Epic mob respawn timer

I'm not sure I understand what "completely random" versus "partially random" means. There is a minimum and maximum amount of time that is calculated each time the mob is killed.

So if it was given 300/600 it would spawn between 5 and 10 minutes.

To make it "more" random, you simply widen the values (for example, to 300/1200 which is 5 minutes to 20 minutes). And that is what we do with most epic mobs. Except they are even wider than 300/1200.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

That would not discorage campers.

Campers have time and lots of it. Randomizing it will only hurt the casual player and strengthen camping. There has got to be a better solution than to put in a giant time sink having everyone sit around for hours hoping something will respawn. This is something I enjoy in HZ -for the most part such a mechanic does not exist.

Surely there is a better way to discorage such acts? (I have no idea how difficult it would be) A different solution would be to flag the account so that every character on it does "0" damage against <insert certain key epics here: Valkor, Relkar etc.> It would make it so each character would have this debuff on them for a certain number of hours.

I do not care HOW

pls solve that prob quickly-it`s been here for too long

I mean completely random, as in that they could respawn at anything from 10 minutes to 24 hours. At least this way campers have to sit there 24/7, and not just show up as it gets near...

A simply solution that worked in Vanguard good:

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Sorry to say but increased spawn timers would change nothing at all. The people who camp now the mobs will be camping them even they are on 5 min timers to get the loot and sell it.

Solution: Create lock out timers on the mobs. Eg if you killed SoG you cant kill him for 3 days until that timer has run out. Other people can kill him through they have no lock out timer. You cant bypass that timer because you cant engange in the fight with the mob, neverlethless if you want to cast buffs or heal the other members. Even if you are outside of the group you will get "invalid target" for the mob and the members. easy eh?
    From: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...743#post176743

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Well that's interesting Tak...

sounds like a good idea to me, thy for posting it again, Tak:-)

not caring how they get fixed is dangerous. I will say I am a bit biasedm as I know the people involved...or many of them on a semi personal level and like to chat them up for hours.

not caring how something gets resolved leaves an easy button I am ill at ease with...the BANHAMMER!

makinga problem go away like that, will only make people angry/sad...and give rise to new campers, one day...its rather cyclical.

I hope the staff and forum readers alike agree.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    not caring how something gets resolved leaves an easy button I am ill at ease with...the BANHAMMER!
    Yeah.

This is why when I saw Guaran suggest the idea to hook epics monsters into quests I latched onto that (he has it all worked out in detail in a post somewhere). It seems to me that this is one of the few ideas that could work with this game.

One thing though: I realize that going back through old content isn't a great use of time. So I'd suggest that instead of doing that, "just" make sure that all new Epic content is done via quests, similar to Guaran's suggestion. Otherwise each new bit of content that is added will make the problem worse.

The problem with hooking it into quests is that there is no concept of a group quest in Istaria. That means it would be susceptible to the problem experienced with Guardians in the ARoP. That is, if more than one person greets the NPC then multiple Guardians will spawn.

And while I think players can handle one Valkor at a time quite readily, they might not appreciate getting "ganked" by three or four.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    And while I think players can handle one Valkor at a time quite readily, they might not appreciate getting "ganked" by three or four.
    That would be fun if they didn't all have marrow friends with each one
    4 Valkors + 8 + 8 more spawning during the fight would be rather bloody

Hey, I also play EVE - used to ganking...

How about Taks idea about lock-out timers Amon..?

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The problem with hooking it into quests is that there is no concept of a group quest in Istaria. That means it would be susceptible to the problem experienced with Guardians in the ARoP. That is, if more than one person greets the NPC then multiple Guardians will spawn.

Silver, I do not want to be missunderstood:
    (perhaps I am too tired tonight to even think about that) .

I also dislike solutions like banning- I was thinking about "technical" solutions.

Lock-out timers can't be done with current tech. New tech could do anything, but it takes time to implement new features.

Asheron's Call used to do that, but they did it differently. They locked out the item or reward, rather than punish the player.

If a player wanted to assist on a quest they knew they still had 1 week before they could "get the reward" that was their choice. It doesn't help here. The best solution would be to lock the mob to the first group that hit it. The spoils go to the quick draw that is able to score damage on the mob first. There should be an indicator when you highlight the mob, which group / player scored the hit, such as the name going "grey" (like in WoW) to the other group in the team.

This way, there can be strategies on how to keep XYZ group from scoring the first hit on the mob you seek with your own strategy.

As it stands now, it does not matter who gets the first strike on the mob, and it doesn't matter if you change the spawn timer, the team with (obviously monopolized) gear to do the better damage will be the victors no matter if the other team does a good amount of damage.

All randomizing the spawn timer does is makes the camped team more vigilant in watching for the respawn, but makes no difference.

Here is a scenario:

Group C is camping, but falls asleep on the job, and the epic mob appears.

Group A who had been waiting for the mob, jumps him and starts attempting to defeat him.

Group C alerts the players that the epic mob is up, and they send in the BHM Paladin to plow into the mob, dealing more damage than Group A.

Basically what happens... "Group C walks up after the battle (which they minorly participated in) and takes the epic loot, waves at the losers, and goes back to their positions and log out (so they can log back in invisible)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    Here is a scenario:

Group C is camping, but falls asleep on the job, and the epic mob appears.

Group A who had been waiting for the mob, jumps him and starts attempting to defeat him.

Group C alerts the players that the epic mob is up, and they send in the BHM Paladin to plow into the mob, dealing more damage than Group A.
    Is this you trying to accuse us of killstealing now, Justa? Were you at the kills the past 2 nights that we actually had some competition? Ask a couple of the members from the groups who were competing with us. They'll assure you that we got the kills fair and square. We got the pull first and had initial aggro on the boss that we were attempting at the time, who was General Reklar Plageubearer. Obviously, you didn't say any names, but you are clearly falsely accusing us of killstealing. As I said in your other post on the "Battle For Epic Mobs" thread, if the other group pulls before us, they get the kill. Simple as that, we will NOT touch your mob if you pull it before us. So, the solution? Beat us to the pull. ;>

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxes View Post
    Is this you trying to accuse us of killstealing now, Justa? Were you at the kills the past 2 nights that we actually had some competition? Ask a couple of the members from the groups who were competing with us. They'll assure you that we got the kills fair and square. We got the pull first and had initial aggro on the boss that we were attempting at the time, who was General Reklar Plageubearer. Obviously, you didn't say any names, but you are clearly falsely accusing us of killstealing. As I said in your other post on the "Battle For Epic Mobs" thread, if the other group pulls before us, they get the kill. Simple as that, we will NOT touch your mob if you pull it before us. So, the solution? Beat us to the pull. ;>
    Obviously you didn't read my post in the other thread. Due to the unfortunately limitations of both the client and the interweb as a whole it is impossible to know who pulls first in these types of situations. Client logs will not be accurate. Two completely honest people can have logs that are saying different things. With the way this client works, if you pull a mob (any mob) within a few seconds of someone else you will *both* see yourself as having pulled it first. So any pull of this type will always be too close to call. Neither side will be able to reliably state that they pulled the mob first.

I've personally tested this. You can too. It's very easy. Simply go out with a friend and find the nearest ice beetle. Both of you start casting at the same time. Now ask your friend what their log says. They will see themselves hitting it first. You will see yourself as hitting it first.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

I don't see that as much of a problem...

Players would sure learn REAL quick to state before going: "Player C has the quest. If you have the quest, delete it now." Not too difficult if players are given advanced warnings- such as player guides and peers "if you do A, B will happen. B is bad, so don't do A"

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    Obviously you didn't read my post in the other thread. Due to the unfortunately limitations of both the client and the interweb as a whole it is impossible to know who pulls first in these types of situations. Client logs will not be accurate. Two completely honest people can have logs that are saying different things. With the way this client works, if you pull a mob (any mob) within a few seconds of someone else you will *both* see yourself as having pulled it first. So any pull of this type will always be too close to call. Neither side will be able to reliably state that they pulled the mob first.

I've personally tested this. You can too. It's very easy. Simply go out with a friend and find the nearest ice beetle. Both of you start casting at the same time. Now ask your friend what their log says. They will see themselves hitting it first. You will see yourself as hitting it first.

Yup, I know what you're saying. But you have to keep in mind, at least one person, that I know of, from the opposing side ADMITTED that we got the pull this morning. Last night, they didn't even try, heh. Simply watched.

Thread Information