Thread: Gone for an unknown period of time

Default Gone for an unknown period of time

I've been having trouble staying connected for periods of time. This has been ongoing since Feb, a time I installed a number of new componets to my network- a router, two mobile phones and another computer.

Been troubleshooting this thing forever trying to figure out what's wrong. Can't seem to reformat harddrive etc.

Yesterday morning while trying to connect to my wireless instead of wired to see if it was my netcard, I noticed on the list of servers, one of them happened to be "Raze" followed by 1/2 of my router password.

Huh... I have a keylogger. Had one since Feb I'm assuming when I installed the new router and now he's just taunting me.

I have no idea what he wants or what he got From the strange discons and no strange bank or CC activity, I'm just assuming he was stealing bandwith, but have changed every password on everything at work.

This also means I won't be able to enter any of the new passwords at home until I clear the entire network of this creep. Rather difficult if I can't even get dbat to work, plus getting through three different hoops in order to find a way of reporting this.... it'll be a while until I get back in the game.

Default Re: Gone for an unknown period of time

Good luck!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I hope to see you soon and good luck sweety

Well.. nevermind. Found an old laptop in the closet. It rattles when I shake it, I have tape on it to hold the power supply in and keep the CD drive closed, but it meets min reqs for Istaria. Will still be a bit until I can get back on *my* computer though.

Can't just backup data on a CD and reformat everything?

When something stupid happens I just restore my hard disk image I stored on an USB hard disk, 10 minutes and I am back to work!
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Do you think you have installed spyware/malware on your system, or is it someone who is accessing your wireless network, or both?

I'd get ahold of good virus/spyware/malware detector and remover software, and change all my passwords with your laptop ASAP.

http://free.grisoft.com AVG antivirus plus internet spyware/malware detection suite (the antivirus is free; the rest is trialware, but you can use it to get rid of the cracker before it expires, then continue using the AV).

http://www.lavasoft.de Ad-aware.. very good spyware / malware detector.

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...-10227353.html Trend Micro's HijackThis advanced malware detection. You'll need to have someone help you analyze the logfiles it generates, if you're not a uber techy IT geek, but it will detect pretty much any malware out there.

Varokh is right, though; it might necessitate backing up all your data, wiping your HD, and reinstalling your OS and applications from scratch to be totally rid of any potential malware. However, before you do, you need to secure your net connection, MOST ESPECIALLY your wireless connection. I recommend turning on your encryption, using a diffcult-to-guess key, and also turn on MAC filtering. That last part is a little complicated, but most people can be stepped through it.

Good luck, and let us know if you need help.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Thread Information