Thread: Love thy neighbor....

Default Love thy neighbor....

I've been living here for over a year now. The people across the street from me have this really ugly terrier thing. The people kitty corner have this really tiny yappy dog that cries alot. The people next door also have a small yappy dog.

Been trying to get a nap in for the last two hours.

The sleep I have gotten was me dreaming of throwing stuff at the dog across the street because it's been barking non-stop.... for over two hours. I'm awake now and thanks to a PS3 and a good sound system, I'm playing soundtracks from Istaria:COG loud enough to drown out the dog.

I usually play Rob Zombie or something simmilar, but... other computer isn't here, this one dosen't have a usb drive to hook up my music library to and oddly enough it's the only CD I found in the house. Good to try to sleep to though. I'm also thinking about starting hosting parties and being the horrible American neighbor they expect me to be. (yeah, right.)

There are no noise laws over here I've found out and I don't speak enough Japanese (plus I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to telling an old couple rudely they need to shut thier dog up) There really is no nice way to say 'I'm sick of your dog barking at all hours'. Once one dog gets tired, another starts up, so it's really the whole block anyways. I don't understand how these people living here can stand this....
    Last edited by Shian; May 10th, 2008 at 10:52 AM.

Default Re: Love thy neighbor....

poor you I can understand as me too I have almost the same problem here but it's not dogs, it's old people that come every minute telling you that your brother is making too much noise playing with his friends, or that they stop dropping the ball on their lawn, or that i'm no canadian so I should go back to my m*****f***er country (yes, they said it for real) or to stop washing myself with the garden hose (when summer is impossible) cause droplets fall on their lawn.... and a lot more

Seriously... If government let me construct a new fence between our backyards (cause they are my "backyard neighbors"), I would make it 3 meters tall

the only fun in that is that they only speak english so I can shout after them in french and they don't understand a single word
    BlueFire Mertandel, angel of the blue mist

This is why I don't like dogs.

You could try writing a letter maybe? Either way I think it's equally rude if their dogs are barking so much you can't sleep

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Problem isn't the dog. Problem is the dog's owner being lazy & inconsiderate..
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Have you tried earplugs? They have disposable sponge ones.

I thought about those but I'm afraid I won't hear my alarm clock that way either.

I'm not a light sleeper because I can sleep through those dogs once I'm alseep, (and a boyfriend that snores loudly apparantly! lol) but I use an old phone for an alarm clock. I hate loud noises, so a quieter phone wakes me up easy enough. Don't think it will with earplugs. I'll try it on a weekend where it dosen't matter when I get up to see if I can still hear it or not with earplugs.

You can also use your mobile phone and activate your vibra call, so you can "feel" the alarm clock. Most phones have a alarm clock function

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

rob zombie dragula>.>:P

I know what you mean... I used to work nightshift and so with a room in a home (At that time) that was situated in the corner of the house, which also butt out into the busy area of the community...

Kids and their skateboards and screaming, dogs, neighbour's cat fighting, crows (One liked to come tap my window to be a jerk). I finally got up and explained to the kids they had kept me up for two weeks, and they happily moved away to help me out (nice kids ).

After ending the job, getting back to normal sleep patterns you think easy... nope. Apprently the neighbours (Just in the way of murphy's law) decided every night to drunkenly stand in the parking lot or on their porch and make a racket.

Just can't win sometimes...

I work the night shift too, I can feel your pain when trying to sleep, my room also is in the corner of the house closes to the street, and to make it worse, the carport is right outside my door. Woe be it to anyone who comes banging on my door while Im trying to sleep, I appearantly have a slight murderous streak... My brother found that out when he tried to install new speakers in his ex's car. *grumbles* back that thing right up against my wall and blast the speakers... he's lucky I couldnt find my sword that day...

Anyways, those foam earplugs are a life saver. I dont hear the cars or the kids or the darn dogs barking unless they're being exceptionaly loud. I can hear my alarm clock just fine tho. I keep it on the window sil just above my bed and its just loud enough to wake me up, with out being that shocking BLAR BLAR BLAR BLAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    This is why I don't like dogs.

You could try writing a letter maybe? Either way I think it's equally rude if their dogs are barking so much you can't sleep
    It's not the dog, but rather the owners inability to properly train,control and look after it properly. Where you find a dog or dogs that constantly yaps you can be sure there's a very lazy owner that' doesn't exercise it enough, owners who are completely ignorant to the pack order of how a dog's mentality work thus the dog takes the roll of leader and feels the need to constantly defend and protect its territory if the proper training is not to done for the dog to see it's owner as Alpha. I keep Jack Russell's. A breed that can be very yappy in the wrong owners hands. I can assure you my dogs don't Yap constantly.

Meh, still don't like 'em very much.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I agree with Greenclaw. Those dog owners aren't alphas. The dog is just as likely to be trying to get their attention to be in line with the pack as trying to protect it's territory from invading packs, which may include second dog and it's pack.

So, you get dueling dogs barking back and forth over the same area. Surprise, you're caught in the crossbark.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Record their dog yapping, record many samples so it doesn't sound like an obvious loop. Use your favorite multi track audio editor. Make one dog bark, make another one bark, mix the tracks to have several dogs barking at once.

Buy a weatherproof speaker and hide it in foliage. Play sound file through speaker, at 1am, and play Hor... Istaria.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Add a wolf howl or two in the background for additional confusion (and better sound)?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Thread Information