Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter guide?

Default Starter guide?

Hi all... I was just wondering, is there any sort of starter guide for new players? I have been trying valiantly for the past two nights to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, to no avail. My little gnome is in that New Trismus place, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing there. I've spoken with the Mage trainer, and done a quest for him. I also got some... token? quest from another guy, but can't seem to figure out what I'm supposed to do there. Part of the quest is to run to some "associate" in a copse of trees near that old stone ring, but I can't seem to find anything but creatures that want me dead. And then the timer runs out.

Is there any sort of step-by-step guide out there I can refer to? At least until I figure all this out?

Here's another stupid question: I usually play in first-person mode, but sometimes I like to switch to third-person and see what certain spell effects look like or whatever. I'm used to being able to then click-hold-drag and zoom around to see things from a different angle, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. If I click on myself, the target is then switched from the mob to me. What setting do I not have right?

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer!

your friendly neighborhood pyro Gnome,
    Ellywicket

Default Re: Starter guide?

Here is the guide section. http://community.istaria.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=73 I am not sure if it has the kind of guide you want, but will have lots of good info. The best way might be to joining the New Player Help and or Market. Both of which on Order I know are very helpful. The New player Help channel is normally filled with older players that can and will answer questions.

In case you do not know how to add a chat channel look down on the right side of your chat for a little chat bubble icon. Click that and it will let you add a channel from the list or create a new channel if you want one.

Edit: Mouse look is the right mouse button I think and zoom is the scroll wheel. There is no left click to look, I think. Been a while as I was just able the night before last to build a duel boot to be able to play again. I am sure if you look in the key bindings you can find mouse look and set it up to a mouse key or other key you want for mouse look.

Quote Originally Posted by Taralinde View Post
    Hi all... I was just wondering, is there any sort of starter guide for new players? I have been trying valiantly for the past two nights to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, to no avail. My little gnome is in that New Trismus place, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing there. I've spoken with the Mage trainer, and done a quest for him. I also got some... token? quest from another guy, but can't seem to figure out what I'm supposed to do there. Part of the quest is to run to some "associate" in a copse of trees near that old stone ring, but I can't seem to find anything but creatures that want me dead. And then the timer runs out.
    I don't know what that specific quest is, but I'd suggest that you join the "New Player Assistance" chat channel if you are on the Chaos server. There are always people in there willing to help with quest hits and any general questions that you might have. In order to join a new chat channel, look at one of your chat windows. You will see a bunch of buttons on the bottom right side of the chat window. Click the one that looks like a chat bubble with an exclamation mark (!) in it. Then, when a prompt window pops up, double click the "New Player Assistance" channel.
    Here's another stupid question: I usually play in first-person mode, but sometimes I like to switch to third-person and see what certain spell effects look like or whatever. I'm used to being able to then click-hold-drag and zoom around to see things from a different angle, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. If I click on myself, the target is then switched from the mob to me. What setting do I not have right?
    There is a key to switch from First Person view to Third Person view, but I'm not sure which one it is. Mine is the numberpad Enter key, but I probably specifically changed it to that. Someone can probably tell you the default key for that (maybe it is the Enter key, I dunno).

As for zooming and "click and drag", you can use the mouse scroller for both. The middle mouse button is "mouse look" by default when you click and hold it. This moves your character in that direction as well. If you want to change it so that it moves just the camera without changing your direction, you have to go into the keybinding options. To do that, do this:

1) Click the jewel in the lefthand corner of the screen.

2) Click "Options" on the menu that appears.

3) A window will pop up. Select the "Key Bindings" tab.

4) Scroll down until you get to the "Camera Controls" section.

5) Scroll down until you get to "Mouse Look" and "Free Look Around Character"

6) "Mouse Look (hold)" should say "Middle Mouse". If you want to change that, go ahead, but most people like that button as their mouse look. "Mouse Look (toggle)" is the same thing as "(hold)", but you just have to click the middle button to turn mouse look on, and then click it again to turn mouse look off.

7) To change any option in the keybindings, click one of the two rectangles next to that option. It will start to blink. Now press the key or mouse button that you wish to use for that option. To clear a keybinding, do the same thing, except click with the left mouse button instead. You can't change what left mouse button does. It is always point and click, but everything else is changeable.

8) Now change "Free Look Around Character (toggle)" to one of your keyboard keys. I use the ~ key for mine, because it is out of the way and I rarely accidentally press it. If the key you choose is already being used for something it will turn red, so you'll know you have to chose another one. You can use CTRL, SHIFT, and ALT + anotherkey if you want as well.

9) Now click "Ok" at the bottom of the keybindings window. Now press the key that you bound to "Free Look (toggle)". Now your middle mouse button will just change your camera view (and the direction your character's head is looking) instead of swivelling your whole character.

Did you do the quests at the starter isle? That's a step by step first actions for craft and adventure. You'll miss the basics if you skip that part.

In general, you are not supposed to do anything really. You can choose an adventure and a craft class and change it if you don't like it or want to try something else. You talk to trainers and other NPC's with a ? above their head and do the quests if you want. You kill things, you make things, you talk to people that's it

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

What Deth and gopher said should help a lot (though I might have to smack Deth for that "older player" comment... we aren't older... just experienced ).

I'm more concerned, though, that you can't figure out what to do on your own. You said you're on New Trismus, but mentioned nothing about Spirit Isle. Did you do all the quests there? They really walk you through a great deal of the basics of the game.

The "trophy" quest you're speaking of is one of the Trials of the Gifted quests. The particular one you're talking about will be "reworked" a bit to give a better description of where to go to complete the quest. You have to go past all the bad guys that want you dead and keep running along the road to find his associate. I did the quest recently, obviously know the game well, but it still took me a few tries to succeed at it, so am "reworking" it a bit.

Most definitely join the chat channels where you see players hanging out. On both servers no one will fault you for asking questions, even if it isn't on the exactly "right" channel (for example, asking a new player question on Marketplace on Order).

It's great to see new players posting here and asking questions, too. It helps us make the experience for new players better overall.

You guys are awesome.

I did check the chat channel listings last night, but it said only one person was a member of the new player channel. =/ I think Marketplace had like 27, but it drives me crazy when people chatter on the wrong channels, so I didn't join that one.

Yes, I did all the starter quests on the newbie isle. I just still can't figure out if New Trismus is Starter Isle Part 2, or if I'm "on my own" now. I just figured that since that was the place they sent me from the beginner isle, there would be more quests, direction, whatever. Maybe I just need too much hand-holding. LOL I'll work on being more independent.

I do feel comfortable with the basics, I'm just not sure where to go now. But I'll wander around, go find something to blow up.

Thank you bunches for the camera settings!! That helps a bunch.

So much to do and figure out... I'm excited! *bounce*

~Ellywicket~

Taralinde, first welcome to Istaria (Horizons).

Second, think of New Trismus as Tutorial Part 2. You are still learning the game, but now you are being given more options to choose from, a bigger part of the world to explore, and more variety of people (like Dragons!) to interact with.

The quests themselves are used to teach instead of the blue boxes for the most part on NT.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Taralinde, first welcome to Istaria (Horizons).

Second, think of New Trismus as Tutorial Part 2. You are still learning the game, but now you are being given more options to choose from, a bigger part of the world to explore, and more variety of people (like Dragons!) to interact with.

The quests themselves are used to teach instead of the blue boxes for the most part on NT.

Thank you! That was what I was trying to figure out -- if New Trismus was the next part of the tutorial, or what. Now I need to get some maps -- I couldn't get out of New Trismus if I wanted to, at this point.

And thank you for the welcome!

You will have basic maps in game for all over the world. Just click M or look under the jewel menu. You will have drop downs for all the cities the starter Island and the over all world. If you want a more "hand held" map that list all kinds of resource locations and such it would be down in the player content forum.

I would say go look down there any way a there are lots of player mods that are very nice. Do not like the brown UI look for a elfish green one or the red or blue dragon faction ones, or maybe you want a purple one( I am pretty sure there is a purple one). There is a very nice Icon pack that makes them look look very nice and colorful. Or maybe you want to see truly massive dragons with whiteish claws and teeth. There are also a couple Emote and sound packs that you can find down there. Of note with the emote packs only you and other people that have them will see the visual emotes but I think they still send out text of what you are doing so all have an idea.

You aren't supposed to get out of there quite yet. And a map won't really help you to either. When you are ready to leave (around level 10 or so), you'll have to port off again just like you did from Spirit Isle to New Trismus.

You should get guidance from your trainers as to where, but as a hint, it's either Kion or Sslanis. The island with those cities is Lesser Aradoth (LA), and again it's pretty well "detached" from the rest of the world. The one difference is that while on LA you itself you can see the whole world map, and there is a bridge that leads off it.

Get used to porting around for the most part, though. Istaria is a big, big world and sometimes dangerous to walk through.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

*gives Deth a mild thwap on the shoulder* Look who's talking, handbag.

Token of Speed quest, it sounds like. One of the five Trials of the Gifted quests.

First suggestion, bind in New Trismus.
    Second suggestion, get some speed teched boots.
    Third suggestion, look at the map for the Island of New Trismus. In the north, near the cliff face shoreline, you'll notice a T in the road running from the town there. This is not the same road going into the cedar, but the one going into the hunting grounds. The assistant is west of that T.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

What? *looks around blowing the cobweb out of a nostril.* I was finally able to wake up again for a short time the other night. Did not say anything as I figured most would run off thinking I was some new WA abomination so covered in cobwebs and Dust was I. But I hope to wake this weekend to yet again rearrange my thoughts so I can once again do thinks in the world. God I hate having to do that.

Welcome Taralinde!

a bigger part of the world to explore, and more variety of people (like Dragons!) to interact with
    I am one of those Dragons.

Since you are a new player, consider yourself invited to dinner!

(Hmm!... Gnome nuggets!)
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Poor Deth. Has to wake up to rearrange his thoughts.

Am I the only one who finds that scary?

Yes, there are different starting islands for bipeds and dragons. Fortunately, you don't start off at the wrong island. After all, some dragons have yet to get over their taste for gnomes. *glares at Vahrokh*

I did check the chat channel listings last night, but it said only one person was a member of the new player channel.
    This may sound a little odd, but... New Player is a system channel that nobody uses. The one person in there is the bot maintaining the channel. New Player Assisstance (at least on Chaos) is the channel the players set up a few years ago and that's where everyone hangs out. The reason nobody uses New Player is that only the bot has channel admin rights. Everyone - even newcomers - gets channel admin in NPA in order to be able to invite new players to the channel. Since you can't do that in New Player, nobody goes there.

I believe Order has a similar channel, but I don't recall for sure.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

We have New Player, and many of us do frequent it.

On Order we use New Player Help. We just do not invite people we just ask them to go there.

You guys are officially great! Thank you for the quest help, and the map help. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Since you are a new player, consider yourself invited to dinner!

(Hmm!... Gnome nuggets!)

*readies a nice fireball* Mmmm... dragon jerky!

*pulls Taralinde aside* Do not mind him but a word of warning, we are the children of Fire, no matter that some of us burn a little colder then others and like to live in the colder regions, and like to take lava baths so a fireball might not be the best choice of weapons to warn a over zealous greeter off. *toothy grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    *pulls Taralinde aside* Do not mind him but a word of warning, we are the children of Fire, no matter that some of us burn a little colder then others and like to live in the colder regions, and like to take lava baths so a fireball might not be the best choice of weapons to warn a over zealous greeter off. *toothy grin*

Hmmm... *ponders his words*... Good point. I could just be incredibly cheerful until his scaled head explodes, would that work? *starts humming a sickly sweet earworm of a tune*

Thread Information