Thread: WM run events and consequences...

Question WM run events and consequences...

I'm glad to see that live events are being run again...even if it is just the occasional spawn x number of baddies near a city and watch us kill them... live events spawn role-playing on the order shard and generally all around give us something to talk about. However, I've noticed an increasing trend of people declining to show up, or leaving in the middle of the action, because they have too many death points and don't want to gain any more. This is discouraging... you might want to consider cranking up the effectiveness of the new food items. It can take a good hour or two and a pretty penny at the current rate just to get rid of a couple of points, and while the old guard have enough coin lying around to afford it, it's got to be rough on the players who haven't been stockpiling it for years...

People shouldn't be turning down adventure, especially on the Order shard. If I am not mistaken, the original intent of the DP changes was not to make death harsher, but to give confectioners more purpose.

Default Re: WM run events and consequences...

Agreed. Live events are always refreshing and gets everyone out of thier crafting holes. Saw more players today in one spot than I think I ever have. Made for an awesome snowball fight after the party

I ended up with 6 DPs today-one carried over from four days ago (thank you, Mohs...), two from starting AROP, one from thinking I could take on a Death dealer by myself (sily hard-headed Lunus), and two from the event. This will take 6 days to wait off or 30 mins eating over 1 and a half hours of "wait time".

That's a bit ridiculous amount of time to spend getting rid of DPs so often, I will not eat and wait it off. This also nets me a 20 min death penalty, so any friends that I might be in a group with has to deal with a squshy Shian for a while.

Others might have ended up with more DP- there were a few hatchlings that went down more than once, but I had two people decline an invitation to do quests after the event for fear of getting more DP and thus not being able to attend the next event. *frustrating*

I enjoyed today's event/fight in the desert on Order, many thanks to LaughingOtter.

If people decide not to be part of an adventure or leave after their second death point then I have no sympathy for them if they use this Death Point excuse.

Death is a part of the adventure and the penalty is not that harsh.

I wouldn't mind having 50 death points if it meant we could have more events and action like today.

I agree, hearty thanks to LaughingOtter! I definitely prefer more events, it's what made Horizons special for me. Pretty sure I had 22 DP at one point during the Daknoor event, with the current DP arrangement I'm pretty sure that the death penalty would have me crippled, unable to participate due to not being able to hit the bad guy... but I'd still try.

Still, it'd be nice to be able take them off faster. Crippling tends to stifle heroics, and sure, a sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down... but those things can really pile up when you're trying to save the world.
    Last edited by Ashuran; May 25th, 2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Because it's 4 in the morning...

*sigh* If are no events, the people are complaining. If there are Events the players also complain. Seems people need always somehting to complain.

On Untiy we had maybe when the fullmoon was and the cows where jumping over it a Wm event. I am glad that LO takes the time and makes some fun! More please!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I agree completely with Custard's post and Takora's. There will always be whimps who can't handle deaths and abandon or avoid events due to their silliness. It's understandable if a low-level who can't hit any of the event creatures anyway decides not to participate, though.

Shian, best way to get rid of death points is not to sit in the tavern during cooldown but run off and do something else until it's time to eat again. ^_^ Maybe wait the five minutes for a different set of foods to cycle up if you have chat or alt-tabbage to keep you occupied.
    Last edited by Vaz; May 25th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Think there were very few deaths on Chaos; however the lag was atrocious.

I also didn't notice that anyone stopped taking part or declined due to death point fears.

I wouldn't have minded getting a few DP's...but I couldn't find the mobs, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ashuran View Post
    However, I've noticed an increasing trend of people declining to show up, or leaving in the middle of the action, because they have too many death points and don't want to gain any more.
    Thats cause they suck then...don't blame the system. (and don't start about lag etc)
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Thats cause they suck then...don't blame the system. (and don't start about lag etc)
    So because our friends are refusing to show up because they are worried about how may DP they have, they "just suck"? Sorry, I don't buy that.

The system could stand to be revisited if people are refusing to show up at EVENTS-something that rarely happens and is something fun/memorable etc. Nevermind day to day hunting groups etc.
    Last edited by Shian; May 26th, 2008 at 06:55 AM.

I had a blast at the event on Order yesterday (my first such event, whee!), even though I'm playing on a slower machine than normal and I got one DP just setting up my hotkeys... XD I hate not having my UI.

I ended up dying twice, which I can live with, seeing as death isn't something I make a habit of. However, even though I had lag problems (rarely did I manage to reach a mob and then attack before it died), it was fun enough that I'd be willing to throw myself at those sorts of mobs no matter how many DPs I had. The penalty would wear off eventually, certainly by the time the post-event RP wraps up (right, Ashuran? ), which would allow me to carry on as normal for a few days (weeks? months? XD). I don't really bother with food (ever) so I'm not really effected by the slow cooldown or anything... But this event was worth every DP I got and then some, so keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    *sigh* If are no events, the people are complaining. If there are Events the players also complain. Seems people need always somehting to complain.
    As a rule,
    Man's a fool.
    When it's hot,
    He wants it cool.
    When it's cool,
    He wants it hot.
    Always wanting what it's not.
    Never wanting what he's got.

I didn't write it... but I thought of that when I read what you said, Takora.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i agree with you, fav - and tak as well - this time....
    as a generel rule, i stick to 2 dp a session as my limit - arena, hunting, gathering, etc.
    but for an event, i would take as many as i need to to defeat the wa! what kind of leader, especially a queen, who leads by example, would i be if i, as gifted, left the battle with our most hated enemy before every last one of them was defeated and made gone from our lands?
    those that choose to flee, they have thier reasons, and those are none of my bizniz........ but for something like this, i do not believe dps should be the deciding factor.

in a way, isn't that the point?
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post

On Untiy we had maybe when the fullmoon was and the cows where jumping over it a Wm event. I am glad that LO takes the time and makes some fun! More please!
    And then there are people complaining about the people complaining, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    I had a blast at the event on Order yesterday (my first such event, whee!), even though I'm playing on a slower machine than normal and I got one DP just setting up my hotkeys... XD I hate not having my UI.

I ended up dying twice, which I can live with, seeing as death isn't something I make a habit of. However, even though I had lag problems (rarely did I manage to reach a mob and then attack before it died), it was fun enough that I'd be willing to throw myself at those sorts of mobs no matter how many DPs I had. The penalty would wear off eventually, certainly by the time the post-event RP wraps up (right, Ashuran? ), which would allow me to carry on as normal for a few days (weeks? months? XD). I don't really bother with food (ever) so I'm not really effected by the slow cooldown or anything... But this event was worth every DP I got and then some, so keep them coming!

As a rule,
    Man's a fool.
    When it's hot,
    He wants it cool.
    When it's cool,
    He wants it hot.
    Always wanting what it's not.
    Never wanting what he's got.

I didn't write it... but I thought of that when I read what you said, Takora.
    Forgot the WO in front of that Man there and all the HE's need to have an S in front of them.. Probably just a typo.

Thread Information