Thread: On the Beast...

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Default On the Beast...

Elders and wise.

Winds blow and words dance... and some such are less import than other, and some jest alone and some... but words.

Mine avatar... idiot that that one be... hath gained a new gate to the land. And in jest, those makers that crafted it hath named it Beast.

And it came to mine avatar that some small jest or trivial interest might be in those here present to know of it.

The words of such magery are oft not found in Common tongue, and even were it so then mine own poor skill would like be ill suit the task, but I set mine avatar's tongue before ye for whatever worth ye may find it.

Thus and so. The Beast.

In short:
    2 * 4 core CPU
    8 Gb RAM
    4 Tb disk stripe/ mirrored RAID 10
    Dual Boot Vista64 ( not currently working for Istaria) and XP64.
    2 * dual Crossfire graphics cards ( visible as 4 cards under Vista64, two cards under XP64)

30 inch widescreen monitor, max resolution 2560, running Istaria in maximum 1920 wide resolution.

Liquid cooled.

Intel BOXD5400XS Skulltrail EATX 2XLGA771 5400 FBDIMM 4PCI-E16 2PCI SLI CrossFire SATA2 Motherboard * 1
    Buffalo TechWorks 2GB 1X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL5 240PIN FBDIMM Memory DIMM for Mac Pro * 4
    Silverstone Decathlon DA1200 1200W 24 Pin Modular Power Supply ATX / EPS12V Active PFC 135MM Fan 90A * 1
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive * 4
    AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Sound Card PCI 32BIT Eax 5.0 * 1
    Samsung SyncMaster 305T Plus 30IN Black Widescreen LCD 2560X1600 1000:1 6MS VGA DVI * 1
    LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X HD DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 DL 4X Black SATA Software * 1
    Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1100-1300RPM 63-92M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA Molex * 5
    Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs * 1
    Tygon R-3603 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing 5 Feet * 2
    Feser One X-Changer 360 Cooling Radiator *No Barbs* * 1Polypropylene T for Water Cooling T Line 1/2IN Barbs * 1
    Feser One Fluid UV Black NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement for Liquid Cooling * 2
    Magicool Green UV Reactive 5MM X 190MM Cable Ties (10 Pack) * 2
    D-TEK Customs 1/2IN G1/4 Chrome High Flow Barb Fittings (Pair) * 4
    Ek Water Blocks 1/2IN G3/8 Chrome High Flow Barb Fitting (Single) for Thermochill Radiators * 2
    Intel Xeon X5430 Quad Core 2.66GHZ LGA771 8MB 1333FSB Retail Processor W/ Passive HSF * 2
    Silverstone Temjin TJ07-BW Black E-ATX Aluminum Case 7X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Window * 1
    LG G-H20NS10 Black DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 INT SATA OEM DVD Writer * 1
    Silverstone CFP51-B Black Aluminum 3X5.25IN to 4X3.5IN Bay Converter with 120MM Fan and Blue LED * 1
    Nexus 92MM Real Silent Case Fan 1500RPM 19.2DBA 27CFM 3/4PIN * 2
    Logisys CLK12GN2 12 inches Dual UV Cold Cathode Kit Dia 3.0MM 300MM 28,000 CD/M2 * 2
    Coolit Systems RAM Fan Active System Memory Cooler *1 Year Manufacturer Warranty* * 1
    HIS Radeon HD 3870 X2 825MHZ 1GB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 2XDVI-I HDTV Out PCI-E DIRECTX10.1 Video Card * 2
    nGear Blue Flash Card Reader USB2.0 SD/SDHC/SM/MMC/MS/XD MicroSD External * 1
    D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block S478/LGA775/S939/AM2/S754 1/2IN Barbs * 2
    Feser One Fluid UV Black NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement for Liquid Cooling * 2
    Ek Water Blocks EK-FC 3870 X2 - CF Nickel Full Cover Radeon HD 3870 X2 GPU Block G1/4 * 2
    Vadim Computers Blastflow Tidal Skulltrail Sb Block for Intel Skulltrail Southbridge G1/4 * 1

And for those that might have interest:
    Top looking down
    Right hand side, panel on
    Right hand side, panel off
    Right hand side, panel off, pump
    Right hand side, panel off, T piece
    Left hand side, panel on
    Left hand side, panel on, vent
    Left hand side, panel o
    Left hand side, panel off
    Left hand side, panel off, radiator
    Left hand side, panel off, circuit board and liquid cooling tubing
    Front view
    Rear view

Panasonic 205T monitor, notebook included for scale

And that ye might know Istaria as seen through this door:
    JPG:
    Image 1 - Where am I?
    PNG:
    Image 1 - Where am I?
    JPG:
    Image 2 - Where am I?
    PNG:
    Image 2 - Where am I?
    JPG:
    Image 3 - Where am I?
    PNG:
    Image 3 - where am I?

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise
    Last edited by peladon; May 28th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Default Re: On the Beast...

buh.... why? :P

Oh and... DDR2-800? heheh... seems a bit out of spec given the rest of the system.

Definitely a beast.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    buh.... why? :P

Oh and... DDR2-800? heheh... seems a bit out of spec given the rest of the system.

Definitely a beast.
    Heh.. why? Ah, and there lies a tale.... and I will speak it.

Do ye see, mine avatar, well, that one hath a beloved. and that beloved, of a time did she wax most wroth with mine avatar. For that mine avatar, she did say, did ever spend their copper only on her and not on mine avatar. Aye, and more, she did say. She did say that mine avatar did not have it in him to spend coin to his own part.

Why, saith mine avatar, that be not so! It be only that there be more of joy in spending on thee!

Hah! saith mine avatar's beloved. Hah! Well, I wager ye cannot do so! Wager twice, aye and thrice and three times that!

( Though her words were not quite so ).

Thus and so. There was some... mumblety mumble... coin of sudden finding, and mine avatar's beloved did set this challenge, to spend some... some manner of it... to a set value, on a new gate to the land. The rules of this wagering stood that no common sense might be applied and no reason. No manner of logic or other.. but only that the coin was spent.

And thus it was. And thus did mine avatar ' win' this wagering.. but somehow yet feels that he was tricked and in fact he lost. But is that not ever the way of males, aye and idiots? And he be both... .

And in mine avatar's words:

As to the DDR2-800... well, it was manner of what the Skulltraill would take and what was available.

Heh... for reference, with quality set to just past half on all counts, I was getting 20 FPS at the Dryart dance...

All I can say is that this explains the sudden "brown out" through most of the northern lands of the US upon the first start up of said beast.

Makes that which I'm currently putting together look sad indeed, though. And here I was so proud of my little monster and a 22 inch monitor.

What a monster, and that screen resolution, I would get lost in that ^^

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Nice setup, how much did that set you back... 6000... 7000 USD. Don't know what that is in CAD because electronics are usually more expensive in Canada then the USA even though the CAD is slightly stronger atm. (1.009 USD per CAD) Unforunately, Windows XP cannot use more than 2 GPUs (1 3870x2 counts as 2) and Horizon doesn't apparently care if you have more than one.
    As for the 8 CPU cores, Horizons only sees 1.

Definitely a monster but to get your money's worth (if thats possible with 2000-2500+USD for just the CPUs) you need to play something like Crysis. :P

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    Nice setup, how much did that set you back... 6000... 7000 USD. Don't know what that is in CAD because electronics are usually more expensive in Canada then the USA even though the CAD is slightly stronger atm. (1.009 USD per CAD) Unforunately, Windows XP cannot use more than 2 GPUs (1 3870x2 counts as 2) and Horizon doesn't apparently care if you have more than one.
    As for the 8 CPU cores, Horizons only sees 1.

Definitely a monster but to get your money's worth (if thats possible with 2000-2500+USD for just the CPUs) you need to play something like Crysis. :P
    Elder and wise, this mine avatar doth know. However, the challenge set did exclude reason and logic and that sense called common most specifically . And as to worth... what is coin besides the smile of a beloved that hath found victory in some jest?

Indeed the XP magery doth see but one of the crafters of art, and indeed there is little purpose to the many tiny thought-forges. However, this day is this day and tomorrow is... not yet crafted. Or that tomorrow that follows, or yet the one times tne candles burned from now...

And as to thy Crysis... heh, the day mine idiot avatar doth not wake me to the land, then indeed that one will suffer Crysis, and set mayhem and moil and murrain to that also... For that which I am, I am, and in this land is that one found.

Which is not to say that any candle flicker is not burned in some other place... but once thjere was the Company of the Razor, and that Company still stands ( heh, though no clan or guild it was.. merely a gathering of those of common will and thought), and stand it will even were but one of its band yet waking.

And I was of that band and I am of that band and I will give thee the cry of battle that was made. In mine avatar's words it stands, and I know them not, but the sentiment I know well .

' Till the servers be razor blades!'

*chuckles* totally off topic, but when i saw the thread title it made me think of a gnome managing research projects... and when everything goes ka-plooie and they give up for a while, they've fallen off the beast - reminiscent of trying to ride a dragon they find while exploring its lair, and the trouble that ensues.

as for your beast, wowsers, i'm impressed! (and not a little scared by it!)
    congratulations!

Wow 0_0. That's some computer; a beast indeed. What kind of FPS were you getting in Selen Forest with the Dire Wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    Wow 0_0. That's some computer; a beast indeed. What kind of FPS were you getting in Selen Forest with the Dire Wolves?
    Elder and Wise...

With all the manner of the land's nature set to that which is best, and mine eyes set to see distance to some three quarters of what may be, and that which lies about of plant and stone set visible to some half of what may be... then in Selen Forest mine eyes gain some 60 glances each second when the land about is empty and mayhap down to 40 if I dance with 8 of the Dire kin.

Of course, mine avatar hath the Beast offer minstrelsy to that one ears all the while... and of a time the Beast hath other tasks to set beside both minstrelsy and land.. but it matters little or none to the land's swiftness to do so...

Thread Information