View Poll Results: Which launcher would you like best?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep with .NET and upgrade to 2.0 or 3.0.

36 20.93%
  • Go with Java

36 20.93%
  • Full executable with minimal dependencies

100 58.14%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Launcher Coming

Default Re: New Launcher Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    The same Microsoft representative confirms that Windows 7 WILL be based on Vista and not on XP, opposite of what someone posted eariler when belittling me about how Microsoft works and illuding themselves they'll shelve Vista:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ate.html?t51hb
    Following on from that. It amazing how many people don't realize that Win XP was developed using Windows Millennium code, and we all know what a horrible OS that was for gamers. This is for those who think doom and gloom because Win 7 will still be based off vista.

Windows XP isn't based off of Windows ME code, technically its based off of Windows 2000 code

Windows ME had good ideas, it was just horribly implemented. Windows XP isn't MS-DOS based its NT kernel based like Windows 2000. Windows ME was an extension of Windows 9x.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Once again we have veered off course of the original topic.
    Everyone has separate reasons for preferring one OS over another, and we appreciate all of the research and input on them. However, this is not a debate on Vista vs. Everything else.

If you would like to create a forum about Vista taking over the world, please feel free to post it in our "General Off Topic Post" section located here
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/f...play.php?f=177

Until then, lets keep it going with those votes on which Launcher is preferred

Back on the subject I see that it could be that the devs will have their work cut out for them according to the votes so far. I play FFXI and like the type of launcher found there. I believe that it is similar to what we are all voting for the most so far?

Sorry to ask, but I do not know anything about java, netpatchers, or launchers.

Will one of these options allow me to play the game with Vista?

I do not have an option to use XP at this time.

Thank you!

Ummm... this launcher works fine for me under Vista. Vista problem solved?? Why isn't this big news for Vista sufferers and a workaround until something more fancy comes along????????

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I cannot understand the need to create a Java patcher and launcher when

http://horizons.oceth.net/

is a perfect, fully featured and updated (I tested a week ago) Java patcher and launcher that works.

I mean, just ask the author permission to use it then.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

I think that option one is over all the best! If you want to keep your client base, then haveing the players that have vista come back would be the best option. Getting them in the game ASAP is most productive to the comunity and to the game. If Vista is not able to run this game then i as well as many that i know will up and leave!

Kymba
    I smell the sweet scent of dark victory. The ramped blood under foot flows as that of a ravens kiss. On the valley of dispear, the sun rises, drenched in glory i stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    Ummm... this launcher works fine for me under Vista. Vista problem solved?? Why isn't this big news for Vista sufferers and a workaround until something more fancy comes along????????

HMM !!? Its not the launcher that prevent me and others to play Istaria under windows Vista.

In my case is it the horizons.exe have stopped responding that prevent me in playing under Windows Vista.

No changes to the launcher what so ever will fix that problem.

The only fix is making the client work under Vista without the need for the players to mess around with things, things that dosnt work for all off us anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mairynn Nalnair View Post
    HMM !!? Its not the launcher that prevent me and others to play Istaria under windows Vista.

In my case is it the horizons.exe have stopped responding that prevent me in playing under Windows Vista.

No changes to the launcher what so ever will fix that problem.

The only fix is making the client work under Vista without the need for the players to mess around with things, things that dosnt work for all off us anyway.
    Well, in my case the following happens (under Vista):

- Start launcher. If it crashes (it usually does) I get 2 possible points of failure: the launcher and then the client. After that, neither it nor the client will start.

- Start the java launcher I linked: it won't crash. I have now 1 possible point of failure, and my chances to have the client start are not greatly impacted by having to luck out and have the patcher not crash first.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Whie the point is valid about multiple areas of failure, it is trivial to get the stand alone launcher to run under Vista. As has been beaten worse than the proverbial dead horse, it is the client (and specifically the memory managment subsystem) that does no work under Vista. Thus staying on topic I would vote for none of the above, or minimally 1 as it would likely take the least amount of work and let the devs move on to working on the client.

I'd go with Option 3 first, even though it'd take the greatest amount of work. Baring that, Option 2. Either would work well under Vista and could easily be adapted to function under Linux. Getting .Net to function under linux is a pain, even with the latest versions of Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    Windows XP isn't based off of Windows ME code, technically its based off of Windows 2000 code

Windows ME had good ideas, it was just horribly implemented. Windows XP isn't MS-DOS based its NT kernel based like Windows 2000. Windows ME was an extension of Windows 9x.
    XP and 2k were both based on the NT kernel, which wasn't DOS based. Win95, 98, and ME were all based off a hybrid of 16 and 32 bit code. The NT kernel based OSs of WinNT, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 are pure 32 bit code. I am not certain if 64 bit versions of XP and Vista are a hybrid of 32 and 64 or are pure 64 bit though.

any news about this! would love to get Istaria running with vista ^^

Firstly let me respond to the misinformation being presented in this topic. Take the following quote as an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
    Getting .Net to function under linux is a pain, even with the latest versions of Wine.
    Complete nonsense. Developing multiplatform applications based upon the .NET framework is a breeze, I can write a .NET app and compile it from a single IDE into binaries for Linux, Apple OSX and Windows thanks to the Mono Project, an initiative by Novell and Microsoft.

Please could people leave personal opinions at the door when dealing with matters of software development? The above example is but one of numerous false claims throughout this topic. If you're an experienced developer who utilises multiple languages on a frequent basis then I welcome your input. If you're a scripter and not a coder then please research your statements thoroughly.

Now back to the topic at hand. .NET development, plain and simple. Minimal amount of time required to fix the problems in the current launcher and to expand its functionality. Multiplatform capability available from the outset thanks to the Mono Project.

.NET is very efficient if a proper developer is at the helm, but if all you've got is a wannabe scripter trying to knock together a launcher then what you end up with is the ridiculously bloated and CPU-intensive launcher we currently have. Even better, open up the source to the current launcher, provide a specification of what you want the new launcher to accomplish, I'll happily demonstrate exactly how quickly a mediocre launcher can be turned into something that shines.

Developing a new launcher from the ground up simply ties up developer time which is better spent on improving the client.

Talking of improving the client I managed to put my hands on a copy of the Intrinsic Alchemy 3 SDK, and surprisingly am actually making progress on a 2.5->3.0 wrapper, meaning I have already enabled hardware acceleration on a number of rendering options without having to modify the Horizons client. What has surprised me is how easy it has been to map Alchemy 2.5 methods to the 3.0 counterparts. *shrug* I'm just happy to be experiencing performance on par with what I expect my graphics card to be capable of. Horizons is no longer tied to processor performance.

Red face Re: New Launcher Coming

I seem to have the launcher problems solved on my Vista system. For me it's Horizons.exe that can't seem to get one of several dll files to work. I just want to be able to play Istaria on my nice new faster system. My old XP system works fine it's just 8 years old and is slow and I'm not real computer saavy so I'm not comfortable trying to install XP on my new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson View Post
    any news about this! would love to get Istaria running with vista ^^
    A new launcher will not do you much good here.

Horisons.exe will still not work under vista , unless you are amongst those that already have made it work

hmm... I'd almost go with a stand-alone launcher option. If people are (somehow) able to run Istaria on Linix, then chances are they can also run the launcher. The new launcher would presumably have to run on Xp/Vista and Linux via Wine presumably. Any account issues, such as tickets and billing, would still work through the website ... the launcher would have buttons to get you into those areas of the site.

I must admit I still use the IE login page, which works on my IE7. It would be nice if I could play without rebooting into Xp.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Mairynn Nalnair View Post
    A new launcher will not do you much good here.

Horisons.exe will still not work under vista , unless you are amongst those that already have made it work
    oh then i misread some infos about the launcher

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson View Post
    oh then i misread some infos about the launcher
    Yeah I can use the present launcher/IE site just fine on Vista, but as soon as the horizons.exe loads it all goes wrong...

Rakku

I don't have any problems with the launcher at the moment but my preference is option #3

Thread Information