Thread: I Hate Vista!!!!!!!!!

Angry I Hate Vista!!!!!!!!!

I never had this much trouble when i made the leap from 95 to XP.
    Seriously the only more worthless OS ever is ME! This PoS of an OS does not like my wireless connection, I cant stay on line more than 2 hours with out it randomly dropping me. On my old XP computer the only reason I ever lost connection was because service or power outages. Even worst I can seem to get XP onto this computer! *gnashes teeth* I dont even want to bother trying to load up any of my other programs for fear of the issues I'llh ave with it.

My mom is just a couple of points away from being considered legaly blind. At work they upgraded all the computers to new top of the line Vista machines. Mom cant even use it because Vista is incapable of making the font big enough so she can see.

All it is is pretty graphics! If I want pretty freaking graphics I'd load up Photoshop and make them myself!!! I want something that functions right!
    *storms off*

Default Re: I Hate Vista!!!!!!!!!

*Pats Tcei gently on the back*.

You are not alone, dear. My laptop has vista and as long as all I was doing was checking email or typing worksheets for my class all went well. Recently our family set up a security for our wireless and the vista just won't connect...despite that it accepts the settings and shows a valid network. I won't ask everyone else in the house to do without security, just so I can use the laptop (I have this pretty decent desktop to use, after all)...so I have basically lost use of my laptop.

I had hoped to toss some more mem in the thing when a vista fix comes in for Istaria, so that I could dual box when needed, but it seems there is no point in that.

This does not compare AT ALL to your Mom's accessibility problem, I know. (Maybe she could sue microsoft for limiting accessibility to those with special needs? Hmmm...digs out her copy of PL504)

Just wanted to send some "I'm with you, hon" feelings your way.

With Vista there are a few things you can do to make the fonts much larger:

• Right click on the Desktop.
    • Click "Personalize"
    • On the left hand side of the window that pops up, click "Adjust font size (DPI)"
    • Click "Custom DPI" at the bottom of the screen
    • On the dropdown tab that you'll see with a % value, select "200%". This is the largest that Vista can make fonts, and it is pretty big.
    • Click OK, and you will be prompted to restart. Do so.
    • If the new font size still isn't big enough, you need to decrease your screen resolution. Figure out what your screen ratio is (ie 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4, or 2.39:1 usually. 16:9 and 4:3 are the two most common).
    • Once you've figured that out, select a lower screen resolution that is the same as your ratio. IE, if your screen is 4:3 and your current resolution is 1152 by 864, then decrease it to 1024 by 768.
    • Using this method you can make your fonts as large as you want, but you will have decreased usable space on your screen.

Sounds like too much work.

I thought the idea behind windows was to make the personal computer more accessable to the common man?

Or, maybe, let's just accept vista is a festering boil and STAB IT!!!

*huggles his XP machines*
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

<snip>I thought the idea behind windows was to make the personal computer more accessable to the common man?<snip>

I think the real idea behind vista is to protect the poor, defenseless pc from the common (read:clueless/or at least not PC programming degreed) man by making it so persistently self-protective that it may as well be a closed system Mac. *Not that there is anything wrong with mac...

*obligatory politically correct statement

Most of my customers didnt like Vista either, almost all requested rollback to WinXP due to personal preference and/or compatability issues.

Doesn't look to smart blaming your in-abilities onto Vista...
    Its so easy and cheap to just bash every (new) Microsoft product..
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Did/do you have an old machine that ran/runs windows 2000?

I'm very happy with Ubuntu 8.04, and dual boot with Windows XP whenever necessary (playing some games like Horizons which doesn't play nice with my ATI videocard to run it in WINE, but I think it has more to do with the ATI linux drivers than Istaria).
    I only need to boot up Windows XP for 2 programs I use: Google SketchUP and Istaria. All the rest I can and certainly prefer to do in Ubuntu.

Salis

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Doesn't look to smart blaming your in-abilities onto Vista...
    Its so easy and cheap to just bash every (new) Microsoft product..
    Im by no means a computer guru, but Im not completely computer-illiterate either. Nor am I of the "bash every (new) Microsoft product" group that you seem to want to put me in. I made the leap from Win 95 to XP not long after XP came out, I found it to be a vastly better Os as compared to 95 and was and still am very happy with XP what few issues that I did have with XP I was normally able to ts on my own. My parents made the leap from 95 to ME (hands down the worst OS ever), they had no end to the troubles with that OS, and were reluctant to upgrade to XP, but once they did they found that they didnt have hardly any issues anymore.

I'd actually like Vista if I didnt have so many compatibility issues with it. I had a bear of a time trying to get my printer working and I've only had it since February or so, it even says Vista compatible on the box! Installed and worked like a charm on XP.
    I was almost certain my pen tablet wasnt going to work even after installing the updated drivers. Dont even get me started on all the friken little background programs Vista thinks I want/need to go with it, I cant count how many times I've gon through and told vista I dont want this or have attempted to uninstall that... On XP my tablet was a simple plug in play, didnt even need the disk, didnt ask me if I wanted scribble-to -type or what ever its called enabled, much less decide for me that I want/need such a thing.

And then there's the issue with my wireless adapter. I've updated drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled them. Tried a dozen other things, yet I still cant stay connected for more than two hours. Even stranger is if I go to sites like youtube I'll disconnect every 3 mins faithfully, happens on both I.E. and FireFox. When it comes to games that require internet access I'm sol for the same reasons. Even if Isitaria were compatible with Vista I still wouldnt be able to play because of this funky connection issue. On Xp the only time I ever disconnected was if the power went out or if there was a problem on my IP's end. I've even gone so far as to test my adapter on the only XP machine in the house and it works fine, yet on the vista machines the issue is the same. *shrugs*

If Im lucky, I'll find a full copy of Xp soon and be rid of Vista for good.

You probably happened to buy peripherals born for XP and whose drivers were hastily ported to Vista, because they did not put making two drivers in their budget and peripherals "live" too short on market to be worth additional investments.

Even well known hardware producers did that: Logitech, NVidia and the bazillion "cheap-o-china" garbage makers that produce stuff that barely stays alive as is, figures if you change the OS.

When I went to buy my PC I demanded to have it tested before my eyes, to be sure the peripherals were working beyond "on paper". The only software of the countless stuff I installed so far that fails, is Istaria, and not because of Vista.

Vista is indeed overbloated and too much "idiot friendly" (the Microsoft target, a monkey with Word and Excel) and thus imposes much bloat on the hardware. But is not working "bad". What works bad are poor peripherals, shoddy drivers written overnight in some Eastern first grade school under-stairs and unsafe / bugged software.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Whoohoo! Finaly got xp installed on my computer! Im coming back!!!1

I am seriuosly thinking of leaveing Hz for good. My friends all got new pcs and they have vista. Some have left and some are still making up there minds. I dont like to play game my self. If i wanted that i would play the sims 2 all the time. But the the main purpose of online games is to play with other people. Hz is no longer fun for me. I will make up my mind soon i hope.
    I smell the sweet scent of dark victory. The ramped blood under foot flows as that of a ravens kiss. On the valley of dispear, the sun rises, drenched in glory i stand.

I heard the guy who owns Microsoft (Whatever his name is) was almost stuck by an egg tossed at him for attempting to force vista onto the world by announcing the halt of support for XP in the future. If that shouldn't tell him something, then I don't know what will.

if I ever must be forced into using the plague, I'll just go use linux instead.

Yesterday I've been fighting with Vista to get HZ to run ; I lost. Today I finally suceeded, but I got an "error" message that made me laugh.
    When performing the system check, the game tells : Operating system : Window 98 or greater required.

This PoS of an OS does not like my wireless connection, I cant stay on line more than 2 hours with out it randomly dropping me. On my old XP computer the only reason I ever lost connection was because service or power outages. Even worst I can seem to get XP onto this computer! *gnashes teeth* I dont even want to bother trying to load up any of my other programs for fear of the issues I'llh ave with it.
    Sounds more like operator error than vista error. Vista works differently than XP in virtually ever aspect. The problem is peoples ability to learn how to use it. Not Vista's ability to produce it.

My mom is just a couple of points away from being considered legaly blind. At work they upgraded all the computers to new top of the line Vista machines. Mom cant even use it because Vista is incapable of making the font big enough so she can see.
    Prime example. Vista can make fonts up to 192 DPI through the DPI settings. Using accessability features, you can magnify that even further to produce extremly large font.

I agree that Microsoft has an extremely poor record for backwards compatability in their Operating Systems. However, it aggravates me to see people blatantly blame the operatings system for problems that can easily be solved if you just googled them.

Thread Information