Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we re-assess food and the Death Point duration?

Default Can we re-assess food and the Death Point duration?

Okay, it's been a while, the system has been tried.

Can we please increase the effectiveness of food or lower the DP duration? Something?

Two full meals to get rid of a single DP is harsh when it takes 30 mins to eat one meal, nevermind getting more than one DP and having to wait between multiple meals. Food seems not worth the downtime it takes to bother eating it. Add to that the silver it takes to et the food. Silver is best gotten adventuring.

I've heard the argument: Learn to fight better, be more careful etc.

There is no 'careful' in some parts of the game (especially for dragons that only have one adventure class) Some parts are just plain dangerous and you're going in there with the knowledge that you will get or do whatever it is needed done (Elenath anyone?) but there's a high probability you won't walk away from it.

I've also heard: Go play an alt or craft until the dps wear off

So, at an exciting time like an ROP, we're expected to 1. either not die or 2. go craft for days between sessions.

Kinda kills the momentum and excitement dosen't it? Mind you, I play at different times. Recently it's been rare I've been on when others are, so I'll go craft then.

Dosen't seem to help much. I've been crafting for months straight so I'm kinda tired of it and would like to do a little adventuring. Trouble is, I earn enough DPs in a day to last me the week. I like crafting, I really do, but due to the DPs, the ratio of Adv and crafting seems a little off.

I don't want to play an alt. I've never been very good at that. Some MMO players can play 6 or 7 characters and keep them all leveled, but I don't. It's a playstyle.

I put this in rants because I see players in game who are unhappy with the current system and don't bother with food. Forum users however seem fine with it and happy with the above work arounds. Any disagreement of the system gets met with "LTP" so whatever.

Default Re: Can we re-assess food and the Death Point duration?

I agree, I dont use food simply because I dont have the money to do so, and because food doesnt seem effective enough to be worth the trouble. I dont want to be sitting around for 30+ mins waiting for all my dps to wear off.

30 minutes may not be a big deal for someone who can play 8 or more hours a day, but for people like me who can only play 2 hours, 3 if they're lucky. Thats a huge chunk out of my play time.

And the LTP argument is fairly weak imho. Its not like I go out and attempt to kill things 20 lvls above me, I strike targets that are around my level but that doesnt stop things like lag, a random pather, late spawn, respawn, add, lack of a safe place to pull to, or just plain bad luck from killing me.

Crafting is fun and all, but Im more of an adventure type, while I do have an alt or two they are mostly there to act as extra bank space than actual play characters. I think I'd be a bit more willing to pay the price to eat off dps if the timesink was much much smaller. 10-15mins each Is much more reasonable to me than 30mins each IMHO

About the money argument, the food is pretty cheap on order, so i dont understand quite your point, its costs mostly 500c~ per meal.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Paid 120s 25c for enough food to erase the DPs I earned today. Mind you I can't eat it all because of the time required, but it adds up is what I'm saying. If that's one day, what is a week of hunting? Mind you, I'm probably exaggerating because I'm obviously not going to spend all week hunting, but it does add up.

I would be more eager to spend the money if food actually did something other than only take off 1/12 of a DP. 1/24 if you're eating food out of a tavern.

Shain are you eating a full meal or just randomly picking stuff? it is my understanding that a full meal from appetizers to desert, I think that is a full meal, should remove 1 DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Shain are you eating a full meal or just randomly picking stuff? it is my understanding that a full meal from appetizers to desert, I think that is a full meal, should remove 1 DP.
    Appetizer, side, main and dessert right? Am I missing something?

Okay, I'm sitting in a tavern, so everything's doubled and just ate the following:
    T6 side-3:45
    T6 Main-4:21
    T6 dessert-1:44
    T5 appetizer- 2:47
    T5 side- 2:09
    T5 main-3:36

add that all up and it's 18 hours 22 mins.

Not 24 hours and that's more than one meal. Granted, it's not all T5 but what am I missing here? I eat food outside of the tavern and I get somewhere around an hour off. Two full meals take off one DP. at 520c a piece of food...

Current prices in tavern is follows(no rares):
    T5 appetizer 420c 450c
    T6 appetizer 540c
    T5 dessert 270c 312c
    T6 dezzert 420c
    T5 main- 648c 570c
    T6 main 840c

etc.

Add that all up and divide it comes out to 520c a single piece of food.
    Last edited by Shian; May 31st, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add

it is my understanding that a full meal from appetizers to desert, I think that is a full meal, should remove 1 DP.
    I thought that too, if all of the full meal components were rares...? But I've not tested it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    This is wrong. A T6 meal reduces these amounts.

Main: 2 hours 20 minutes
    Side: 2 hours
    Appetizer: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Desert: 1 hour 10 minutes

Total of 7 hours and double being 14 hours in a Tavern. This is no way near a 28 hour Death point. Meals should have the time removal doubled.

It was said that a full meal of the appropriate tier removes 1/2 DP.

I agree, it is far too time consuming to spend 30 minutes a meal to get rid of (most of) a DP, and DPs last too long.

I don't mind crafting (a new interest for me! ) and I get my food free (thanks Anne!), plus I have alts on two servers. I even find time on my hands at the moment...but...

When I want to play my main character and I want to finish a quest* or just hunt for fun I don't want to be tied down by being forced to do so under penalty (in the event that I get enough DPs to limit my stats).

I do know how to play, and frankly don't die often, but it is just a matter of when I do die, I still want the option (unpunished) of going out and trying again.

Being forced into a situation where I must play different character, sit-eat-and-wait, or craft instead (and if I am not mistaken, multiple DPs lower ALL stats, those that affect craft ability as well) does not make me a happy (paying) customer. In that case, I usually just log off and go read a book, play one of my other games, or...surf the forums (like now!)

*going after that flame bone splinter is a must...although multiple deaths occur, despite my strategy and care, for instance. *sighs*

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

hmmm - it may not matter, but -
    i thought the correct sequence was app, main, side, dessert.
    i got 2 dps and thought it would be a good time to try out the food thing in my tav.
    both dps were eliminated by eating 4 meals with that order (some of the food was below my optimal range, as well) in my large tav.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

It does not matter what order you eat in. It has been suggested to eat the main last though because it has a longer wait time between the next food item.

It takes only 10 minutes in a tavern to remove a DP if you eat 2 full meals.

Not that hard folks.

making the feast on the other hand.... can confectioners get automatic item stack bonus of +5/tier or something? sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    making the feast on the other hand.... can confectioners get automatic item stack bonus of +5/tier or something? sheesh...

Seconded !

Automatic item stack bonus? Care to explain?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

call it a class ability, i don't care what... i just have trouble crafting foods because my item stack in inventory is so limited.

*sighs and wraps the [Three Myloc Heads in a Bag] in another [Kwellen Hide] since the last one is now a [Putrid Remnant of Hide]*

To bad confectioners can't take the Side, Appitizer, Main Dish, and Dessert and combine them all into one meal. So instead of having multiple items you have one complete meal. As for combining them I was thinking of something similar to the bottle cap collections.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    *sighs and wraps the [Three Myloc Heads in a Bag] in another [Kwellen Hide] since the last one is now a [Putrid Remnant of Hide]*
    Yep, that sounds like my favorite cook!

I know, Awdz, that you spend a lot more time cooking than I do eating...and I think that your request for added stacks is a reasonable one. 'Twould get you out of the kitchen and into the fields dying with the rest of us all the sooner!

Maybe this could be an automatic ability that a confectioner gains upon reaching a certain level in confectioner school? Or...would that open a whole new can of worms (NOT a recipe item, Awdz), by having other crafters demand the same? Hmmm...must be a way...

Oh... more stacks...
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information