Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food to Remove Death Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Here are the changes we're going to implement in the next few patches. Thought you all might like to know.

- Recycle lowered from 1200 to 600 seconds
    - Removal of the post-delay

And for you crafters, we're looking into what we can do to make it a bit easier on you. Suggestions welcome.

this is very welcomed, especially comming from someone who deals with mobs like relkar and faffy. On chaos, there is a public chat called epicbattles where everyone (80 and up) is allowed to join, forms groups to tackle the epic bosses in the game. guilded or guildless everyone is invited. now some of us can rack up insane amounts of dp, for the sake of the hunt (ianneiros has 38) and well are utterly crippled when they die in battle. Just to think of all the TIME spent at a tavern to take them all off can be depressing.

i myself had 15 dp once and well pulled me away from the fun for a good time.

speeding up the process by half is a huge improvement. I dont mind the amount of time of the dp or that i need to eat a few meals. All i want and prob many others , is not to dish out so much time in the tavern. Like a few people have mentioned in this thread and in others, some people just dont have alot of time to spend in a tavern since play time is limited, these people are the ones affected the most (ianneiros is a good example as after a few battles he has to log).

i for one dont see how reducing the time of eating affect the usefulness of our cooks. (now we just need a few meals fit for a dragon even if bipeds cook em , like a whole cow or deer. Or gnomes on a stick XD)

Default Re: Food to Remove Death Penalty

*Bump*

Here are the changes we're going to implement in the next few patches. Thought you all might like to know.

- Recycle lowered from 1200 to 600 seconds
    - Removal of the post-delay

And for you crafters, we're looking into what we can do to make it a bit easier on you. Suggestions welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton
    Put in plants for the items you have to currently buy from the Confectioner Trainers - Cocoa Beans and others.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    *grins* Figured that would be one of the first.
    Any news about putting in these plants and such? Wonders what has become of this suggestion?

Suggestions for the cooks:

I understand that the requirements per item were set high, and the yield to be only 1 because of the experience gains (per item).

Once a confectioner hits 100, the exp is meaningless.

Either reduce the quantities needed to make each food item, or increase the batch sizes to 4.

Honestly, I don't think even doubling the batch would be enough of a grind-reducer for cooking so I'm gonna go all out and request each item make 4 dishes.

I think the preparation ingredients to make (intermediate) items are fine, but the final product should yield more.

FISH:
    Please fix the fishing areas so they are accessible w/out drowning. There are many areas, expecially on Ice Island as well as Draak and the coast of Dralk where the schools are out of reach.

Sometimes, in desperation, I have waded in, JUMPED up and down whilst fishing, to try and reach a particular school, and it is STILL out of reach. (However, this method has worked occasionally )

There is a funny bug where you drown without warning in maybe water up to your ankles. This is not fun, as you cannot be rezzed

I find jumping even in ankle deep water whilst fishing eliminates this problem; however the jumping looks rather undignified for a fisherperson.

I don't have a problem with the locations of items, other than the fish being out of reach. I don't have a problem with the quantities; although, buttercap is way way too low as a bonus. (I.e., I have harvested as many as 4 full shadowstem fungi w/out getting a single buttercap bonus).

You should already be aware of how I feel about Diput's squirrel stew and the 20 squirrels it takes to make a single dish.

Chickens--please put in more locations with chickens. The spawn can't even keep up with ME egging and then killing them, let alone having another player be trying to get eggs also.

Not enough eggs on chickens, not enough beef on cows; I think milk is OK as far as yields go; but eggs off of chickens are about as horrible as mining glass nodules

Agreed it's unrealistic to have a chicken give 50 eggs but, THESE ARE SUPERIOR ISTARIAN CHICKENS!

Actually... chickens are plentiful, I just got done gathering 5000 units in an hour with the help of a friendly dragon and 2 bipeds, we kept killing the giant chickens and they kept respawning as fast as we could kill them.

I agree on what you say Creme.... I pushed to get to 100th so I wouldn't have to gather / make food en-masse for leveling but now can concentrate on dishes I would NEVER have cooked due to the ginormous prepped food requirements or rarity of certain items (swordfish, red snapper, squirrel, eel, buttercap, truffles, etc) and just make enough for the guild to satisfy their appetites.

Also, having to run from your vault to the tavern every time all of your unsold food decides to default to your vault is a pain sometimes.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Lots of good points.

I haven't tried fishing since they were made fishable from a longer range.

The schools (of fish).... could they be changed into "mobile resource nodes"? (If they are not already). therefore it would make sense for the school of fish way out yonder would wander close to shore and then be in range.

Squirrels: How about getting 2(minimum guaranteed) to 6 per arbotus. Or, in selen forest (home of the squirrel home) perhaps some trees with squirell holes (more homes) that are harvestable squirrel nodes.... Not too unbelievable as everyone knows how fast rodents reproduce. In addition to this, less squirrels needed per dish would also help.

For now I would just like seeing new plants come into game so I don't have to put SO much coin into buying the ingredients from the Confectioner trainer. Making 100 of some Meals (Dessert: Pumpkin Cheesecake) costs as much as 75s to make because of all the ingredients you have to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    Actually... chickens are plentiful, I just got done gathering 5000 units in an hour with the help of a friendly dragon and 2 bipeds, we kept killing the giant chickens and they kept respawning as fast as we could kill them.
    I've never managed to get eggs off the giant chickens, maybe I'm doing something wrong

i've only ever gotten eggs off the giant chickens by killing them, it's the little ones that are the big egg producers.

Yeah, the giant chickens seem to be roosters.

*smirk*

Similarly, don't try to get milk from a bull instead of a cow.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Oooh, new fields...

*Envisions the packs of lunus munching on the fields of chili peppers...*

*Envisions the even greater wing of all dragons, cavorting in the fields of cocoa bean...mmmm"

Oh dear..I think that second one would fulfill many a dragons great dreams...Heck, Allon'd have to login just to take screenies of emotes in the chocolate fields...

*cackles and starts to cry laughing*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Hmm, alot of the posts here seem to be looking at the Death Point. I think the OP was wondering about things that might be done to reduce the Death Penalty a little quicker. Crafting THAT away dosent work all theat well unless it ends up being reeaaalll long cause who wants to switch to craft gear to go craft for 15-20 min only.
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

Quote Originally Posted by Drakarr View Post
    Hmm, alot of the posts here seem to be looking at the Death Point. I think the OP was wondering about things that might be done to reduce the Death Penalty a little quicker.
    I doubt anything will ever be implemented to decrease the death penalty stat reduction. Think about it... if VI put something like that in, then Death Points would lose their purpose.

Why ever bother getting rid of the underlying DPs if you can just squeegie the stat penalty away? Something like that would completely undermine all the work they put into revamping the CONF class, as well as trivialize the entire death system... I seriously hope that the death penalty stat reduction remains untouched.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    I've never managed to get eggs off the giant chickens, maybe I'm doing something wrong
    I was talking about meat, not eggs... you get maybe 20 eggs out of killing 100 giant chickens... but you can still harvest them for meat, and they respawn like crazy.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    I doubt anything will ever be implemented to decrease the death penalty stat reduction. Think about it... if VI put something like that in, then Death Points would lose their purpose.

Why ever bother getting rid of the underlying DPs if you can just squeegie the stat penalty away? Something like that would completely undermine all the work they put into revamping the CONF class, as well as trivialize the entire death system... I seriously hope that the death penalty stat reduction remains untouched.
    I agree totally, I was only pointing out what the OP topic was
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

It would be hilarious if the more food you ate to get rid of dps, the fatter your character would get.
    I regret I have but one life to waste for Istaria!

Quote Originally Posted by Silenos
    It would be hilarious if the more food you ate to get rid of dps, the fatter your character would get.
    Hush

Let's not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenos View Post
    Then we need to raise diet-gnomes for dragons.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Oh thats a slippery slope.... Obese dragons would lead to an increase in Istarian heart disease and type 2 diabetes. So that would require the involvement of Alchemists to produce weight-loss potions. But we all know those aren't a cure-all. So we'd need the Empire to begin sponsoring Town Criers to shout the benefits of exercise and eating in moderation... or perhaps in this case, dying in moderation.

"Reduce your Dragon's risk of Heart Disease, fight smarter!"

Spiralling Imperial healthcare costs would cause the Empire to increase the taxes on items, from Consigners to Portal fees.....

Oh it just isn't pretty.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Oh thats a slippery slope.... Obese dragons would lead to an increase in Istarian heart disease and type 2 diabetes. So that would require the involvement of Alchemists to produce weight-loss potions. But we all know those aren't a cure-all. So we'd need the Empire to begin sponsoring Town Criers to shout the benefits of exercise and eating in moderation... or perhaps in this case, dying in moderation.

"Reduce your Dragon's risk of Heart Disease, fight smarter!"

Spiralling Imperial healthcare costs would cause the Empire to increase the taxes on items, from Consigners to Portal fees.....

Oh it just isn't pretty.
    What about putting in plants for the items you currently have to purchase from the Confectioner trainers? Would like to know if this is being considered.
    Last edited by Hoberton; August 27th, 2008 at 02:10 PM.

To get back to the idea of the original poster I have a few thoughts on this issue as well.
    1. This is an MMO - that means most folks want to play with other folks - interaction and grouping for fun is the main reason we play.
    2. Having to stop a group and recall to a tavern in the middle of fighting is just plain silly.
    3. Trying to find a tavern that stocks the meals you need is not always easy as food only remains for 2 weeks.

First off, let me say, I totally agree with Death Points and Death Penalties, however I believe the current setup for removal of these needs to be rethought.

A group that has to break up and recall to eat food just because a few members die is counterproductive to keeping folks in the game. We group up to fight because it's fun to spend time with friends. When you have to break up a group fight and return to a city, only to find some or all the food on a tavern has returned to someone's vault, it is not only irritating but the cohesiveness of the group becomes lost as everyone runs around trying to find a tavern that does stock food.

Then you have to sit down and eat, and wait, and eat, and wait, rinse, repeat. By this time some or all of the group has lost the desire to continue the group hunt or some have to leave.

When this happens, day after day, some folks not only lose the desire to group hunt, but also lose the desire to hunt period. This becomes a choice then of do they even keep playing, or do they move on to another game that allows them to group and continue the battle to the end without a major interruption every time someone dies. This is, after all, suppose to be fun!

I'm not suggesting that the food be removed or that any major changes be made to the confectioner school. However, I do believe there should be something that can be added to either confectioner or alchemist that would be usable in the field and allow a group to receive the benefit from a potion, food item, whatever, and in a reasonable amount of time return to their battle. This could be in the form of spirit or hope (for exampe) that is returned to the person or group that allows their stats to be boosted moderately enough to fight on. This keeps the group together and more importantly, keeps folks in the game.

Eating food in a tavern would then be used after the fight to completely remove the remainder of the death point(s) or penalty. This allows the group to remain together to relax and eat and socialize, which is what meals should be for.

Food in a tavern is great as long as it's available. Having it return to the consignor's vault in 2 weeks is inconvenient and a waste of time. It really irritates me to log in only to find my vault (for my biped confectioner) stuffed full of food. I make enough to keep our guild tavern stocked with a reasonable amount but cannot predict how much will be used so usually try to overstock so I'm not constantly having to stop building or fighting to make food. I have thought of building a guildhouse to hold food to alleviate this problem, but that is going against the idea of a tavern holding food. Maybe lengthening the time a tavern holds food to 3 or 4 weeks will solve this issue.

Just my two coppers,
    Holth

Thread Information