Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Auction or purchase?

Default Re: Auction or purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Landowyn
    I'm sorry, but I think you've got that exactly bass ackwards. I think the people with just enough coin to buy a good plot would like to have a shot at one. If it's the aim of the developers to take money out of this game at this point, then they are just a day later and a dollar short on that score.

Being among the "have nots" when it comes to coin -- I never considered having 100 or more gold to be all that important -- I think its appropriate for the game, at this point, to be able to reward all players for their diligence and hard work in the game, even if they haven't been collecting coin since the dawn of time.
    It's my understanding that there will be a LOT of reclaimed plots on Order, many of them large ones.

The majority of the playerbase, on both Chaos AND Order probably have less than 30 gold.

There are many longtime Chaos players (original) that have less than 10 gold and they're perfectly happy/content with the amount of gold they do have.

Buying a plot means having a subscription, or adding one. Stop assuming that everyone that already has a plot is waiting for reclaims to add 20 subs so they can buy up more large plots. At $15.00/sub, that's a hefty price to pay for land if they already have a good-sized plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    It's my understanding that there will be a LOT of reclaimed plots on Order, many of them large ones.

The majority of the playerbase, on both Chaos AND Order probably have less than 30 gold.

There are many longtime Chaos players (original) that have less than 10 gold and they're perfectly happy/content with the amount of gold they do have.

Buying a plot means having a subscription, or adding one. Stop assuming that everyone that already has a plot is waiting for reclaims to add 20 subs so they can buy up more large plots. At $15.00/sub, that's a hefty price to pay for land if they already have a good-sized plot.
    Let's wait and see what'll happen if a 100 x 100+ plot gets free on Chaos. Pretty sure they'll put more than the community 10-12g on it.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Let's wait and see what'll happen if a 100 x 100+ plot gets free on Chaos. Pretty sure they'll put more than the community 10-12g on it.
    I would imagine one that size might go for 25 or 30 gold in a blind auction. And that was exactly my point. And what do you suppose the bidding will be on the 120x104 plots will be?
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Landowyn View Post
    I would imagine one that size might go for 25 or 30 gold in a blind auction. And that was exactly my point. And what do you suppose the bidding will be on the 120x104 plots will be?
    I wish it was just 30g, then I'd stand a chance.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I wish it was just 30g, then I'd stand a chance.
    With ferocious mining of gems and selling off two precious items (VDGWC), I've built up about a third of that ... I might have 12g (the original price of the plot) by the time the auction comes around.

That's why I favor a lottery over "he with the most money wins." I'm sure there quite a few more with the same situation. In fact, I'd settle for camping the darn thing and taking my chances on a click fest.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh
    Most probably, but there will still be plenty of very nice sized plots that will go for far less than what a few players might bid for a 100x100.

I'm pretty sure once you factor out whatever bids are on the 100x100s, the 95x95s and smaller be in range of a lot of players.

As far as what the bidding will be, regardless, it's a good way to get a lot of excess coin out of game.

I know it is difficult but can someone at VI give us a clue as to when the plots will be reclaimed and the bidding will start? Doesn't have to be to the day, or week or even month but something like "Aug/Sep/Oct timeframe" would at least give us an idea as to about how much time we might have.

I think a system that has plots up for sale for a 24 hour period (or however long) at the community purchase price. At the end of the sale period the server randoms on those that "purchased" the plot to see who gets it.

It gives players the benefits on direct purchase without the need to camp a plot for hours on end. Each players chance at getting a plot is exactly the same as everyone else.

Wow, I'm glad I already have my lair... DUnno if they'll be as hot of a commodity as plots, but my 2.5g would get me nowhere in the auction process. XD
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    Wow, I'm glad I already have my lair... DUnno if they'll be as hot of a commodity as plots, but my 2.5g would get me nowhere in the auction process. XD
    Blind auctions are for the birds. At least with an open process I would know when I'm out of the running and lower my expectations.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks

Are there so many players that there won't be enough plots to go around? Why not just put a rolling group up for sale each month and let it work itself out?

Personaly i dont think plot reclaim should happend till the vista problem gets fixed. But if it does i like the idea of the purchase. It should be first come first server seeing that you can only have as many plots as subscriptions. Most people that has stayed in the game and continue to play have what they need and need no more. The ones that are greedy seem to have moved on to greener pastures.
    I smell the sweet scent of dark victory. The ramped blood under foot flows as that of a ravens kiss. On the valley of dispear, the sun rises, drenched in glory i stand.

The original question was: Auctions or Just regular sales?

If you want my honest and candid opinion, here it is:

I could not care less...

Or, to be more accurate, I don't see why I should care, either way. The way I see it, no matter how the reclaimation is set up, I have the same chance of becoming a lair owner, as a snowball has, in a Dralk lava pool...I am a relatively new player, and might have 3 GP to my name - if I am lucky, when the real estate actually becomes open, to buy - so ANY sort of auction system implemented counts me out...there are just far too many 'rich' players on Chaos who have been playing far longer than I have, and making/hoarding gold, for me to have any sort of chance, at outbidding them...

If they just throw plots/lairs open for sale on a 'first come, first served' basis, I am still likely to be left out in the cold. I work, RL, 10 hours a day...I sleep 4-6 hours a night...I have RL matters that I have to attend to....I get to play, maybe 4-5 hours a day, on the weekends, if I make time to do so. So when the click-fest happens (and face it, that's exactly what it will be) the only 'winners' are going to be the 16 year old kids that live with their parents, and can afford to be in-game 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, camping out the prime plots....

I have to say, since I am on the subject, that everyone seems to be looking at this as lumped all together and being the same thing, which it obviously is not. Lairs are NOT plots. It's apples and oranges, and the two should be handled as different entities. I suspect that there will be a lot of plots available, after reclaimation....some not so large as others, but possibly even plenty enough for anyone that wants one, can get one, eventually...not so, with lairs.

Compared to plots, lairs are a far rarer commodity, and of those rare few, how many are owned by inactive players? And of those that are inactive, how many are on guild-owned communities, and will never be available to someone not guilded (or in another guild), even after reclaimation?

I find it very ironic, that one of the big selling points of HZ, when I see it advertised on other venues, is that you 'can play a dragon!'....and yet, we have at least one shard (Chaos) where one cannot very easily achieve (if at all) one of the main culminations of growing, in such a character.....owning a lair...and the problem is only looking to get worse, as we see a greater iflux of new players into the game...but no more new lairs being added.

It is quite obvious the devs are aware of this problem (ask yourself why dragons are allowed to buy plots, but peds may not buy lairs), but what isn't so obvious is how they intend to address the issue - they plan to, at all.

Anyway, having spoken my piece, I will add a suggestion for leveling the playing field somewhat, and making this whole problem more palatable, for us newbie dragons, and which - I believe - would be rather simpler to implement, than having to write a whole new system for auctioning, or whatever....all you (the devs) need to do is this:

Allow the building of Dragonscale Forges and Crystalshapers on regular plots.

At least this way,we dragons can have our own little piece of land, and still be able to do everything we could have done, in a lair. (Although we still couldn't get all the structures any size plot, that we would have been able to, in a proper lair). It would still go a long way towards making things easier for us...

Anyhoo...that's my "two coppers"

Yeah, ^ that too. I'd just be happy with lived in lairs. Get some real neighbors maybe?

Okay you wanted a vote, you get a vote with a suggestion based on a caveat.

Limited AUCTION - you can only win one auction per subscription.

• The wealthy get their pick and will likely win a very nice plot, that is fair.
    • No need to camp, that is fair.
    • The wealthy can't keep winning auctions over and over (unless they have multiple subs) to raze the landscape taking loot and novians until they have it all and there is nothing left, that is fair.
    • Everyone has a chance to partake in the fun and excitement knowing they have a decent chance to at least win something more than what they now have, that is fair.
    Granted, not all of the wealthy will be so callous as to just keep taking and looting over and over until there is no more to take and loot but that sort of thing could happen none-the-less. A good money sink for sure as that sort of thing could be quite costly but I'd rather have them keep their riches and give some others a chance to have some fun and maybe get lucky.

That`s it QuO.
    I have nothing to add.
    I can`t imagine anything else being fair atm.

Yea really Auctions worked fine for every other time we did something this massive, I dont know why they'd change it now.

Auctions - permit "rich" players to place bids on as many as they'd like - but they can only win one - and with "stagger" start and end times - sometimes they have to hedge their bets (i.e. if they prefer one ending later than one ending earlier they may have to pick which one they want to really bid on).

Then as early auctions end, more and more players get taken out of the competition - so that later ending auctions have less competition for just as good plots.

*shrugs*

Always worked pretty well before..not sure why there's a discussion for changing it at this point.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

a auction is actully a real unfaire move to european ( Unity players) witch have spend 400s bcause of good location have got only 100s back because of the basic price without anythink kind aof refund of material build in.

And now we should have a faire chance makeing a equel bit, sometime i ask me where is all this what has promessedly promclaimed to as.

Or doe you not realy want as on YOUR server ???

Quote Originally Posted by babyfly View Post
    a auction is actully a real unfaire move to european ( Unity players) witch have spend 400s bcause of good location have got only 100s back because of the basic price without anythink kind aof refund of material build in.

And now we should have a faire chance makeing a equel bit, sometime i ask me where is all this what has promessedly promclaimed to as.

Or doe you not realy want as on YOUR server ???
    What exactly do feel you were promised? The three servers are for everyone last time I checked.

i have to add its also really demotivating if people get in a few hours of pillaging what others have to work years for.

if VI expects people to work so long to build such large plots, they should not make it possible to pillage novians. maby a 2 week lock-down to plot sell, anything.

im so NOT going to craft years and years for somthing others get so easy this way just because they did an old quest 20 times (BHM) and sold for rediculous prices to exploiters (those sellers being the ones that got the money the fair way) or being exploiter themselves with looting bots working 24-7-365 to accumulate such insane amounts of money.

no offence to the BHM and other rare-sellers since there is no way to know if sombody is an exploiter. clearly not even for VI.

i think VI should add to the licence agreement that they are permitted to scan your computer for 3rd party software. they dont even need to have the software yet to do it, but just to make the exploiters scared. they could sneak in the software at any time then.

Thread Information