Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roleplaying

Default Re: Roleplaying

I would like to offer a few disclaimers before I post here.

#1 I am an advocate of Role Playing.

#2 You need a sense of humor to roleplay imo.

#3 I role play plenty, just not on HZ.

#4 I never force it on people. Nor am I ashamed of it.

Now to post.

I have run into hardcore RP'ers who demand their character name be used for immersion not their name. I have run into people who only date gamers, or refuse to date gamers. As a rule, role playing is dramatic acting, that you don't get paid for. RL drama has always folled in LARP groups i have belonged to ( Live Action Role Playing). Always. RL gets pulled in or OOC stuff in the case of internet games. Period. The trick is minimizing it. Good luck.

I like White Wolf roleplaying (older stuff) it is dark, very dark, Cthulu also. I like D&D, Star Wars, Mech Warrior, Shadowrun come in second but I enjoy them all.

LARP is the stuff htat brings drama, similar to a small game like HZ. Everyone knows everyone, drama developes, it ruins games...very sad fact of life. Or such is the opinion of a pessimist who has seen the cycle over and over.

My advice...find a new group to hang with or a new group to RP with.

For those who cant deal with dark plots...don't RP it. Though I must ask why... RL is plenty dark, dark in a fantasy world adds a touch of realism that draws me in personally.

The initial post makes me feel that the game staff is being recommended to cease darker plots? I could be misreading/reading too much into it.

People all have their own role play fashion. Keep this in mind and dont be so strict. Some are plain goofy, not my style, but best not to tfault folks over it.

I'm going to use the "n" word here...*ddep breath* that word is nerd.

I am one. Most people who play video games are to some extent, some refuse to admit it. My gf tells me I'm not a nerd. I have fun outside the fantasy setting. "Nerds are folks who don't get that some people don't care if you can shoot a magic missle, don't care what level you are, and don;'t care if they are newbs. People that exclude new people from gaming groups, or worse yet alienate people's gf's." Her words not mine. Though I don't completely disagree.

'Ew girls have cooties!" Sorry if I offended anyone. I have actually met people that way....rarely, thankfully.

Point is, its a game...if it stops being fun...play something else, or make your own fun, or associate with other people for a time.

In the end...roleplaying is the same game we played when we were 4 or 5 ( assuming we werent already rolling for initiative and killing goblins 0 yes folks I refer to playing house, or doctor (no I'm not being coy or dirty with that doctor bit), cowboys and native americans, etc. We just hapopen to be older nad tackle more mature matter, marriage, murder, slaying the rival tribe or monsters, looting graves for treasure. ( see my sig for examples of adventurers ) can't forget that. its all in fun. When it isnt, and its clear... /ignore "this jerk". Can always undo it. ( ruin immersion? my bad, better than stressing out and quitting no?)

I hope this helped someone. I do empathize, but I don't let it get me down.

have fun.

From your fellow nerd, "wind to thy wings" etc.

I'm out.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Sometimes OOC has to be kicked out of channel - especially when those OOC comments starts wars, if you see what I mean.
    Wow, if Chaos dragon channel started wars I'd consider the offenders as exceptionally rude and not worth playing Istaria and would immediately ban them off the chat till they chill out.

Can't believe on Order this is possible, by reading the last month's drama posts all about nasty people and heatens, I feel lucky to have chosen Chaos to migrate on to
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Except there's no way to ban someone from a public channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Can't believe on Order this is possible, by reading the last month's drama posts all about nasty people and heatens, I feel lucky to have chosen Chaos to migrate on to
    Order is not bad as you say, I heared also horrible things about chaos and I am glad that I didnt went to Chaos. So try to see the other site of the medal Vah. If you saw it only then you can judge.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    dang I'm out of game for like a month and sound slike I need to bring the reality back to the dragon channel - if people are claimign its an RP channel and OOCers have to leave...

tsk tsk - I hope this is the minority....
    I personally don't think it's either. But so long as it is on an a RP server and people are gathering there primarily, it will be treated as both.

Honestly, this is isn't something that's going to be solved by players bickering about it either. I personally haven't seen that many problems regarding the topic, and people just need to learn that it's a game, and to enjoy it, not spend time arguing little points to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrough View Post
    Honestly, this is isn't something that's going to be solved by players bickering about it either. I personally haven't seen that many problems regarding the topic, and people just need to learn that it's a game, and to enjoy it, not spend time arguing little points to the death.
    I agree completely

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    hmmm - i wonder if our main chat room, old blight, is private or public then - we accidently banned a blightie several times the other night (**** those buttons so close to each other! ).........
    i was under the impression that ob was a public channel - am i wrong as usual?
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

yep, it's player-made

As far as I know Public channels will always have the VIBot(Or what ever the bot is named) listed at top as channel Mod, private channels will have whoever created/was promoted/happened to be next in line when the last mod left.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

ah good!! would hate to ruin a wonderfully long streak......

Of accidental bannings?
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

UoP is encompassing like 40% of the daily total chats traffic (it's the "market" we had on Unity, marketplace is really silent compared to what we had) and is a "private" chat.

The marketplace chat is usually silent, the dragon chat (a big traffic chat) is almost never nasty on anyone at all.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.

I have heard some things that have happened in the past that have really rankled me. I can understand that players won't necessarily get along with each other, but to force players make choices between friends is to me so unfair. Yes, it's understandable not to mix certain people, but don't say "if you're friends with him, you can't be friends with me". If there are differences between people, they should try talk about them and try to work it out. But if it's clear that it's better not to play together after discussion, then agree to not to play together. But just because they go their separate ways doesn't mean that other people should be excluded just because they associate with the person that a friend chooses not to.

Karya

i agree, karya - and it happens in real life!

i have been friends with divorcing couples who have asked me to take a side.
    i have told them all that i will not do so. if they can't be civil with each other, that's their prob and none of my concern. i am happy to be a friend to each and listen to them about whatever they want to talk about, but i will not putdown or insult the other party. i brook no insult to my friends, not even from another friend.

unfortunately, tho, this attitude of picking sides is much too common. most peeps feel they have to choose (what a 'sophie's choice'......) a side, in rl and in game.

i agree, karya - and it happens in real life!

i have been friends with divorcing couples who have asked me to take a side
    I have seen this as well.

But I consider it a great offense to be forced to choose between friends, because I hate to be forced and feel violated, hence I will always drop the one asking me to take a side and go to the one that does not.

Sometimes OOC has to be kicked out of channel - especially when those OOC comments starts wars, if you see what I mean.
    Oh well that I understand - in Dragon channel to me OOC stays game related - and shoudl of COURSE always be respectful even in a "discussion" . But noone should feel that game related ooc discusions aren't "allowed" in dragon chat - anymore than dragon related RP isn't "allowed" in dragon chat.

If however you're wanting to play out an entire scenario of events over the course of hours or days - there are better chatrooms to do that in. And if you do it in dragon chat you should realize that you'll be constantly interrupted - and be ok with it *shrugs*

It doesn't feel like the minority, and it seems that more and more of the roleplays are totally wacky compared to the lore of the game (dragons falling from the sky, flattening half of Dalimond with their landing, turning into a puddle of goo, later to be reformed by being poured into a jello mold?)
    Well while I stay far far away from any "appearance" of policing others RP and saying what htey can and cannot do in a PUBLIC free channel - if I saw this I just would ignore it - wouldn't respond - and continue on with whatever OOC chat I wanted to partake in.

If they started complaining or wanting feedback or whatever - then I'd either respectfully let them know that there might be other channels they'd be more comfortable in - or if they requested feedback - then let them know that others may have issues iwth their RP in public violating lore...

And thanks for the wellwishes - I'm still paying and all - just time has been scarce for some reason in the last month - rofl. Still trying to figure out why....
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I have to chip in on the amount of 'ridiculous' RP that's been going on lately. Hatchlings drinking barrels upon barrels of booze with no ill effects? Dragons that can and WILL 'police' other dragons during their squables, often powerplaying to get the dragons to 'stop fighting', even when both parties ask OOC that the 'outsider' just tone it down a little.

Just because a player is a 100/100 ancient or otherwise does not make thier character a god. I understand RPing in a public channel means you may get interupted - which is fine - but I don't like it when people powerplay or godmode just to rip two younger dragons apart.

In summary, I don't mind being interupted - I encourage others to join in - but I REALLY don't like it when the people joining rip everything apart with 'unrealistic' circumstances for the world we're in.

I'm not going to tell people how to RP, but I'm just going to admit that I find that very annoying, hehe.

Well now RP wise, if Frith-Rae is in an area with two dragons trying to fight - she WILL do all she can to stop it. Including but not limited to - restraining parties, giving them a good shake, sitting on them, flying away with them...etc.etc.

But I woudln't do ANY of the "removal" of parties without knowing where they wanted the RP to go.

But Frith-Rae believes, rather obsessively, that dragons should never ever ever fight or harm other dragons. And if you RP it around me - I RP back IC.

If one doesnt' want such interruptions - one need not RP in a public channel. But no, I don't go by levels ever - I go by hatchling vs. adult and then adult vs. adult is pretty equal - ancient vs. adult of course the adult is at a weakness - I just view it physical body size wize. I don't care if you're 100/100 or not - to me it RPs no further power or less. A level 100 hatchling in my RP world never woudl be able to throw around an adult - even if they were level 30 - but that's me.

To me that makes it unfair as the levels are an artificial way of measuring "age", when to me rather it matters more how long the dragon has actually be "alive" (ala in game). So the hatchling of level 100 who was created a month ago shoudln't be ranked higher in power thant he adult that is two years old just because they level slow .

But yea - whiel I won't rip apart anyone's RP - they would also be advised to not get to violent or hurtful in a public RP - because people WILL interfere. And if ya don't like it - then don't RP there!!

I dont know maybe to me its just pretty logical and straightforward...heh.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrough View Post
    Dragons that can and WILL 'police' other dragons during their squables, often powerplaying to get the dragons to 'stop fighting', even when both parties ask OOC that the 'outsider' just tone it down a little.
    This could be directed at some of my actions (not saying it is, but that I was in a similar situation). There were two hatchlings fighting, and things got escalated to the point where it looked like one was going to try to kill the other. Siivyra, as a responsible adult dragon, grabbed one of the hatchlings and pulled it away to prevent such. It was totally IC, and if one must bring in levels, I was quite a bit higher level than both.

I don't see anything wrong with that. It was happening in the Dragon channel, so it was open to interference from everyone in the channel and so I reacted with what my character would do. If the two really want to RP killing eachother, then they need to take it somewhere less public so the older dragons can't see it and can't stop them. If a fight happens in a public chat, it is almost certainly going to get broken up.

Just my two copper.

(Argh. Need to make a new sig so badly.)

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Oh, no, I can understand dragons breaking fights up because they don't like the fighting, and I can understand the level differences.

But there are still some very, erm, impossible things going on a lot of the time, in the middle of RP that is meant to be serious. Like 500 mile-per-hour pawstomps, catching fire and playing with it in a ball, and other such things.

I respect that others will break up fights in public channels, and two dragons should finish a fight in private, but I also think that even with level differences, they can do it without godmoding. =) And you certainly weren't, so I've no problem.

Thread Information