Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Game Mail - Get It Done!

Default Re: In Game Mail - Get It Done!

Excellent point. I believe the guild I'm in has used it that way, too.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Do these forums have every player signed up for it - Answer NO

Do the forums have the ability to send someone a message based on thier toon name. ANSWER NO

I have several toons so how will they know what SCREEN name to send it to - as 5 screen names to not translate to 1 forum name that who knows if a player even signed up for.

How are players supposed to know in game what forum name applies to the toon they see? Answer They Cant

Once again you really need to read posts more carefilly and stop misquoting me. As I did not say just some lowline Dell - I said a lower line Dell Poweredge which is a professional server product.

Amarie - There was no flaming - I merely was pointing out that if he was trolling the answers dont matter. As when someone mischarcterizes what you say, mocks it and than misquotes you as he did it is a usual indicator of trolling.
    Last edited by Seenu; June 9th, 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: No flaming, folks!

Seenu (and others who look at the subject line and agree),

An in game email system is not something that is on our list of new features coming any time in the near future. We are not the sort of company that "just gets it done" and "throws together" a system without carefully considering the best way to implement it. In game email is something that we have considered, researched how it works in other games, and thought about for Istaria, but we have come to the conclusion that for the foreseeable future, there are many other projects which the team should focus on that take priority. The length of time required to implement an in game email system correctly does not provide enough of a boost in the player's gaming experience that we can justify tabling the many other items on our project list at this time.

Your suggestions are always appreciated and heard, but sometimes "no" really is "no", and this is one of those times.

- Amarie

Amerie -

Can you please tell me where I said "get it done" means just haphazardly throwing something together??

Please quote it.

Can you please quote me where I indicated where I said that it should not be implemented carefully as you say below. I merely offered some ideas as to make it as simple as possible.

To mischaracterize my idea and than apply these negative connotations to it is totally uncalled for and quite frankly you owe me an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarië AncalÃ**mon View Post
    Seenu (and others who look at the subject line and agree),

An in game email system is not something that is on our list of new features coming any time in the near future. We are not the sort of company that "just gets it done" and "throws together" a system without carefully considering the best way to implement it. In game email is something that we have considered, researched how it works in other games, and thought about for Istaria, but we have come to the conclusion that for the foreseeable future, there are many other projects which the team should focus on that take priority. The length of time required to implement an in game email system correctly does not provide enough of a boost in the player's gaming experience that we can justify tabling the many other items on our project list at this time.

Your suggestions are always appreciated and heard, but sometimes "no" really is "no", and this is one of those times.

- Amarie

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Get It Done!

in some places, this tone is considered aggressive if not antagonistic.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

And in the gaming community "Get it Done" - or "get er done" is frequently used phrase by raid and guild leaders that simply means "get to work" or "lets accomplish this successfully"

The tone is no different from the Star Trek's Klingon phrase "Quapla!" which means "victory".

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    Get It Done!

in some places, this tone is considered aggressive if not antagonistic.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

you asked, i answered.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Seenu, mostly of your posts contained flames or rude words that Amarë had to remove. So I you prolly you owe her a apology for wasting her time to edit your posts.

There is the saying: The tone makes the music. Be nice and the others will be nice to you.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Quote Originally Posted by Seenu View Post
    And in the gaming community "Get it Done" - or "get er done" is frequently used phrase by raid and guild leaders that simply means "get to work" or "lets accomplish this successfully"

The tone is no different from the Star Trek's Klingon phrase "Quapla!" which means "victory".
    Just so you know I have never heard that phase to mean that myself and also took it as a demand.

Amerie -

Can you please tell me where I said "get it done" means just haphazardly throwing something together??

Please quote it.

Can you please quote me where I indicated where I said that it should not be implemented carefully as you say below. I merely offered some ideas as to make it as simple as possible.

To mischaracterize my idea and than apply these negative connotations to it is totally uncalled for and quite frankly you owe me an apology.
    I take the below comment as it could be something easily just thrown together.

Who says that an in game email option has to be in opposition to anything else? In game mail is not a huge project. You set up a server database of character names. Each name has attached to it a database ID number. When someonse sends an email it sends a text file to the list of text files associated with that ID number. That ID number has an email addy attached to it in a seperate field that only the database can see so if the person wants they can be notified that they have mail on thier email.

A database programmer could write and test this in a short time. All else that would be needed is an xml (or similar technology) interface that works with the in game gui.

WAIT - - An easier way - use a web interface at the login screen after people have logged in but before they launch the game. This can be used when u just know their toon name and nothing else. That program could also send an emeil to the person notifying them that they have a message. So when a person logs in before they launch the game they can see the mail addressed to that toon. - That way no GUI interface yet you get the same functionality and if necassary it allows email communication while still protecting people's anonymity.

I know - its really quite brilliant - really no applause is necassary - just pay me in t5 components ok /wink.

This is simply not true. I have 68 posts and only a couple got "edited"

I am tough on people who troll, I am tough on people who misquote others in an effort to troll, I am also tough on people who mischaracterize someones idea or statement. In those cases that was exactly what was going on.

I am glad that I could clarify this for you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Seenu, mostly of your posts contained flames or rude words that Amarë had to remove. So I you prolly you owe her a apology for wasting her time to edit your posts.

There is the saying: The tone makes the music. Be nice and the others will be nice to you.

Seenu,

You asked (rather rudely in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there). I took the time to go back to the development team and get an answer for you.

That answer is "No".

And as I've had quite enough of your tone toward me, and it's in my right as forum moderator to say "end of discussion"... I'm ending the discussion.

Thread locked.

EDIT: I would like to apologize to Seenu. I broke forum rules myself by saying that I felt previous posts were rude, and should have spoken in private rather than posting in public. Leaving the statements I made here on the thread to show that even I am human sometimes. Online communication is difficult even on a good day. My suggestion to all who read this is when someone posts saying "You are coming across in a certain way", do not dismiss them out of hand. Think twice about how the words you've chosen can be misconstrued. I believe that they were in the case of Seenu's post here, and that he/she did not intend to come across as rude, demanding, or disrespectful. And thus, I do apologize for "flaming", Seenu.
    Last edited by Amarie Ancalimon; June 9th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Thread Information