Thread: Unscheduled downtime

Default Unscheduled downtime

Though I am sure that "stuff happens," I wish we could get more info on what was going on so I could plan accordingly. Specifically, I would just like to know how long a shard is going to be off-line (approximately). If the answer is "I dont know," then state that also, so I can go about my day. The statement that a shard is going to be "restarted" is misleading and, to me anyways, denotes, that it will be back up soon. Ugh...just a rant here. : )
    It's frustrating when these unscheduled down-times happen during one's limited amount of game time...

Happy hunting.

Shargrailar

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Unscheduled downtime

gotcha shar and i sympathize -
    however, if this is an unexpected thing, they may not know when it will be fixed......
    i usually write these things off as a day long thing, if that is any help.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Shar just go do something else and maybe check all 2 hours or such.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I was lucky enough that when the shard went down I was 15 minutes from leaving for work, so I didn't really miss anything. How long was it down, in total?

I lucked out that it didn't impact me, but I know I'd've felt terrible if I had missed the chance to play at the only time that I can. I know that happened to some. And it's just frustrating to have your gameplay interrupted. But hey, at least we have devs who fix things up.
    <----clicky!

In the much more famous and blasoned WoW we'd experience *3 days* downtime with no information in 2005 and always hours late information past that year.

There was a thread explaining about an hardware failure, and those tend to take a random amount of time to be fixed.

If they post they'll take 3 hours, at hour 3.00.01 there'll be a flood of whine threads about how the developers are worse than Stalin and take physical pleausure at lieing and downright betraying to the precious customers.

If they post they have no idea, there'll be posts about how they are clueless and don't know what they do.

If they just post just the issue like they did, people will create rant threads about them not giving hour:minute:second of when the server is back up.

If they type a specific issue / timeframe they "always miss their words", they "said X but it's always wrong" etc. etc.

If they type a generic timeframe and that there'll be a reboot, "they don't give us a time so we can organize our billion dollars meeting accordingly".

Basically there's no hope for them, the only route becomes to type a terse message and that's it. At least, they save time at typing it and people will have less words to nitpick one by one and whine about.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shar View Post
    Though I am sure that "stuff happens," I wish we could get more info on what was going on so I could plan accordingly. Specifically, I would just like to know how long a shard is going to be off-line (approximately). If the answer is "I dont know," then state that also, so I can go about my day. The statement that a shard is going to be "restarted" is misleading and, to me anyways, denotes, that it will be back up soon. Ugh...just a rant here. : )
    It's frustrating when these unscheduled down-times happen during one's limited amount of game time...

Happy hunting.

Shargrailar
    Yes but in exchange for the unscheduled downtime you are given a scheduled time to be up- and that is Teusday.

*pokes an old thread because of relevance and looks around for people that are alive* :X
    __________________________________________________ __________

Quote Originally Posted by Kodey View Post
    *pokes an old thread because of relevance and looks around for people that are alive* :X
    Actually, it is scheduled downtime.... They are likely patching so it takes longer than usual. Need to get those hamsters moving... or get new hamsters.

Karya

That's right, it is on Tuesdays. I guess I thought it was unscheduled because I couldn't find a single post about a scheduled one. I forgot it was Tuesday. Working seems to make the weeks blur together.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Interesting that this is the 2nd week where Maintenance was done on Monday instead of Tuesday. Perhaps it's a sign that it should be moved to Mondays. Just a thought.

Karya

I think it just fell in their lap to do it today since things out of their control happened. Just like the past couple of weeks, Order having an off the wall maint time because of a hardware problem... todays networking fiasco... and other times, the servers just decide to not "play nice". Crap happens, just glad they decided to do maint today since the network was being worked on too instead of waiting till tomorrow to make the servers unavailable for 2 days in a row. Not that ive gotten to play in the last week anyway... Stupid A/V software..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

[QUOTE=Fratricide;190692]I think it just fell in their lap to do it today since things out of their control happened. Just like the past couple of weeks, Order having an off the wall maint time because of a hardware problem... todays networking fiasco... and other times, the servers just decide to not "play nice". Crap happens, just glad they decided to do maint today since the network was being worked on too instead of waiting till tomorrow to make the servers unavailable for 2 days in a row. QUOTE]

*nodsnods* Our dev team seems to be very productive even during the downtime

It feels like home on Order, Unity was also mucking around all the time!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Did you decide to move Order's maintenance on Mondays ? :/
    Last edited by Zexoin; July 14th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Guess Order maintenance moved to Monday wasn't just for that week.... D'oh. >.<

It's been 2 hours and no notice... Would be nice to know what happened and if it's going to be maintenance every Monday now >_>

Thread Information