Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cant play using xp

Default Re: cant play using xp

Sometimes you even have to uninstall the firewall software. I had this problems with Trend Micro's Internet Security Package. For some reason it wouldn't allow Steam to work correctly, out of the blue too... Had to uninstall it.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Ugh. That means, among other things, that the process gets killed before it gets a chance to say why. Now, the question is, is it dying on its own, is something killing it, or is it doing something bad and causing windows to kill it?

Are you running some weird flavor of XP, like XP-64? Anything interesting in the event logs? Do any other programs exhibit the same behavior? How bad do you want to figure this out vs trying on a clean install (preferably on a separate disk)?
    Im running the normal 32bit xp... I haven't looked at the event logs, no other programs I can think of have this same behavior. And I've already installed a clean install on another system, with all the same basic software as this system, and that one has the same exact issue.

I'm figuring that its something to do with security settings, or the registry. But, the other system I installed istaria on has basically nothing on it but basic software...

OS-- xp pro 32bit
    AV-- Symantic Endpoint Protection v11

The only difference between my systems setup now then what it was last time I was actually able to run the game is the AV, and even turning it off the game still doesn't run. I'm about at my wits end on trying to figure this out.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    OS-- xp pro 32bit
    AV-- Symantic Endpoint Protection v11

The only difference between my systems setup now then what it was last time I was actually able to run the game is the AV, and even turning it off the game still doesn't run. I'm about at my wits end on trying to figure this out.
    You just answered your question.

Try completely removing the AV on one of the systems. In fact, if you want to be completely sure, reinstall and don't include the AV.

Removing isn't the same as 'turning off', btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    You just answered your question.

Try completely removing the AV on one of the systems. In fact, if you want to be completely sure, reinstall and don't include the AV.

Removing isn't the same as 'turning off', btw.
    I know that they are not equal, but I'm sure there are others running the same AV without incident... there must be.

Umm... is Istaria supposed to show up in my add/remove programs window... I know it used to show there but these installs are not showing there at all...

BTW... I used to like the web install version, as I was able to store a copy of all my old files and just install the patcher and the various other startup files... it was like 34MB. Then I was able to just copy/paste from one system to the other without problems. Of course, I cant find that installer now, but it was a nice one for me anyway.
    Last edited by Fratricide; June 28th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Yes it's supposed to. Maybe something's wrong wit the registry ? :/

Yea... Well.. I dug out my original install disks from the bottom of the box they were burried in, am patching now.. see what happens in the next few I guess... this install shows in the add/remove files at least...

Alright.. now that makes no sense at all... It was showing in the add/remove files, but after patching is no longer there.... I am quite baffled at this point. Apparently my computer doesn't want me to play Istaria any time soon.
    Last edited by Fratricide; June 28th, 2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: new info

Alright.. Got one computer to hold the data in the add/remove programs, and I can actually login on that system, though it is my secondary or terciary one that I can do that on, and the A/V and firewall have no bearing on the issue on that system as they are the same ones I use on my main. Don't know, perhaps there isn't something that is working quite right with the new install download that isn't adding the stuff in the registry for the game to run worth a crapola.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    Yea... Well.. I dug out my original install disks from the bottom of the box they were burried in, am patching now.. see what happens in the next few I guess... this install shows in the add/remove files at least...

Alright.. now that makes no sense at all... It was showing in the add/remove files, but after patching is no longer there.... I am quite baffled at this point. Apparently my computer doesn't want me to play Istaria any time soon.
    This thread is reading like a mysterie novel although it is more and more becoming a horror story. Perhaps some digital exorcism is needed?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Yea... Horror story is right... Least I was finally able to get in on one computer today, but still trying to get my primary one working right.

I did find an old downloaded install file... called.. Setup_380_11.exe. Hopefully that one will play nice with this system, as I know it was able to play nice before. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that all goes well with this version.

I doubt the registry has anything to do with it (well, the registry as it relates to the client). The client doesn't use the registry -- it's only the patcher/launcher that does that. The client keeps its settings and prefs in files in the horizons directory (like a good little program).

The reason I asked you to completely remove the AV from one of the systems (when it wouldn't run the client) is to determine whether or not the AV plays a role. If you removed the AV and still couldn't run the client, its not the AV. By getting the client to run 'somehow', you have not confirmed nor denied the AV's role. In other words, you still have no idea what's causing the problem.

Agreed, Steelclaw. Just because the AV works on one config doesn't mean its not causing problems on another. The install might be borked.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Alright... So... with the prodding of y'all, I completely removed the game and my A/V software... reinstalled the game and... OMFG the game ran... Problem now being, how do I get the game to run with the F'n antivirus installed, because there I do believe I'm not gonna be connected to the internet with this thing not virus or firewall protected.

Well, now that you know its the AV, reinstall the AV and start turning off features until you find the one causing the trouble.

Yup... already ahead of you and I found the culprit (sp?).

Proactive Threat Protection: This product while it might be benificial to many folks, and I would've liked to have it myself, is not configurable in the version of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client software that I have. I imagine if one was able to configure it, it would be able to allow for the horizons.exe to be executed without pretermination. Unfortunately because of the lack of being able to configure it to disregard the execution check on horizons.exe I have lost a whole week of gaming time.

Thanks Symantec for making a stand alone client software program, relient on administrative software for configuration settings. ARRGG!!!!....

Thanks to all of those that helped with this, I know I was pulling what little hair I have left out of my scalp trying to get into the game. At least the firewall and Antivirus is still capable of being used, about (I was so tempted to put bout there, but Shur woulda had a coronary) the only plus I can find in the whole situation.

Well, at least you figured out what was causing your trouble. Enjoy the game!

I'm very glad you've solved the mysterie, happy gaming again to you

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

grrrr!!!! i think i may be giving up on playing at all right now, spent the last 2 hours trying to log in and it gets stuck!!

i tried checking my billing info when first logging in with the stand alone launcher - could that have caused a problem? everything takes forever to do anything even after several reboots. did i bung something up completely or do i just not have enough patience?

finally appears the game is loading after i waited and waited for the play.istaria.com site to load. just in time for me to have to be off >:-(

maybe a few hours away (again) will help me get less frustrated... then hopefully i'll get to serve klava.

omfg i think i'm in!! but terribly laggy :-( and i really do have to be off :-((
    hope everyone else has a much better day than i have... and any suggestions on what i messed up & can do to fix it would be appreciated

The play.istaria.com site taking a long time to load is a clue that hints at network trouble. Are you having trouble getting other websites to load as well?

i ran a virus scan and had a mess of cookies deleted... i'm not sure if that was affecting it but things are running much better now, thanks!

Thread Information