Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cant play using xp

Default Re: cant play using xp

EDIT: Ha... well I'm back to square one so you might as well not read this post already. However I have a firm finger pointing at DEP... Rakku.

I found this thread through Google when, just Once earlier, Horizons actually generated a short report before it did the old "Horizons.exe has stopped working" trick on Vista. It is *exactly* the same as Fraticides log:

"crash_log:pen_maura(): Successfully started crash log at 08.21.2008 12:34:38.825." in the maura file and...

"DEBUG WinMain Entering client application in release mode...
    STAT dprintf [[08/21/08 12:34:38] ] -1.00 FPS" in the client debug file.

I followed the solution here... so I uninstalled my antivirus (Avast), turned off the Windows firewall and restarted. It still didn't work, so then I unticked the options for "Compatibility mode for XP SP2", 256 colours and 640x480 resolution.

DEP is completely off and I'm running as administrator. The game runs. I tick the box for XP2 compatibility. It doesn't run. Untick it, then it runs again. I'm going to reinstall the a/v, but continue to leave DEP off. I think Fraticide hit the gnome on the head when he mentioned Symantec's version of DEP causing the same problem in XP. It certainly looks like the same problem, it's just in Vista you get the box telling you the exe has stopped working. Knowing MS they probably copied the code from Symantec and pasted it into Vista and gave it a different name.

It's probably been done... but if you haven't tried it:
    - As an Administrator (i.e. right click and click run as Admin) run a command prompt and type "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" ... reference page is http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini...tion_preve.htm .
    - keep the default options for horizons.exe, but make sure it is always run as an administrator. "Run this program as an Administrator" box ticked.
    - try running the horizons.exe first, and see if you get the splash screen. When that worked I tried logging in, and that was successful.

I'm going to continue to fiddle.

Rakku
    Last edited by Spirit; August 21st, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Thread Information