Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn to bloody spell

Default Re: Learn to bloody spell

Well of note. For anyone with English as there second lang or just horrible spelling like me. For IE there is http://www.iespell.com/ that will help with spelling and Firfox 3 has it's own built in spell check. Use them they are great.

I always try to write with the best spelling, punctuation and grammar I can. If I don't know how to spell a word, I look it up before I type it.

It is unfortunate that it is so common for native speakers to write with incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation.

I cannot stand the way single letters (and even numbers) are substituted for parts of words or whole words.

In the case of people who are not native speakers, errors are certainly acceptable but native speakers should at least attempt to improve their standard of literacy.

While it is fine to make the occasional error, people do not seem to be overly concerned about writing properly.

I would certainly like to see people make an effort to write in the proper fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Except that if you don't speak English and you DO use a spell checker, it would say that pole is indeed correct. Imagine that.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

I really like this poem

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

me too

But- what I really want to point out again:
    (and I always knew, this thread is not about those, whose first language is not English)

Here in Istaria (and in your neighbourhood, school etc) are more people who CAN NOT spell right (for many and different reasons) that you might assume. They do not "out" themselfes in public for their own, personal reasons.
    Please stay big hearted and tolerant.!!
    I understand the intention- but with arrogance and discrimination, we do not turn the world in another direction.

It is a sad, but "all over the (western)world" trend to **** language. This- together with a poor education system, and parents who can`t or are not interested in assisting their children..
    yes, where will it lead to?
    who is to blame?

I , for myself try to understand each post. And I do not judge a post or it`s writer. It may be our incredible Sephiranoth- or someone whose grammar and spelling is bad.

I'm sorry Lov, but I do not agree with you. There are many tools available on the net, spellcheckers, dictionnaries, ect... If you really want to post something with minimal grammar or spelling errors, it may take time, but it is possible, even though english is not your mother tongue.

I really understand your point of view, Zex.
    And I do not want to support lazyness.
    But..
    Hmm- some will not post at all- because it takes too much time or effort.
    I´m splitted up in two parts here.

Maybe because I know 3 players personally who need help from friends to be able to play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    The point was that if you are going to complain about spelling then you should make sure that you are beyond reproach.

The point in my post was that you are not perfect either. I'm not saying that I am. There is a saying: "Point a finger and there are three pointing back at you."
    I still find this horribly ironic that there were no spelling errors in the OP according to your corrections. Yet you feel something other than the OP's rants is a reason to jump on someone- Grammar. Not the spelling and net speak that the OP was ranting about.

I also do not in any way shape or form believe that a single mistake I make in one of a dozen posts, is an excuse for others to keep on making whole posts incoherient, creating headaches for more than one. That whole "make sure you are perfect in every way before you complain about someone" is BS and you know it.

I don't require perfection, either in myself or in others; I simply require people to put out a reasonable effort.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    seriously. and this applies to the internet in general, not just these forums.

if you expect people to take the time to read a thing, you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

also, got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere, and have this to say about it:

"prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however, is a word. the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" (key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word, it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed") something i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. to see them suddenly come up in forums populated, mostly, with people i at least respect, is disheartening.
    Elder and Wise. As any and all will tell should ye seek, I lack much. And skill in Common not least of that lack.

So mayhap I be one of those ye would chastise and castigate, a fair target for thy fleer and scorn.

But that I am less than any other... this be but the nature of things that are. That perfection is not mine... I find this none of that unexpected.

That Wisdom is thine... as each eye sees it, so let it be to that sight.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save the Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

I want to add, even though it's not easy to read Sephiranoth's posts, I always enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    I don't require perfection, either in myself or in others; I simply require people to put out a reasonable effort.
    ok, but you never know if they do. I find myself wondering sometimes about "sloppy" posts, is this the best they can do or do they just don't care. A bit like Lov said. And because you will never know it's better not to judge, although you can choose not to read those posts.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Shian, regarding your comment, if you would have followed at least one of the links posted throughout this thread, you would have noticed where the OP started another thread about Grammar. This is, I'm sure, why Kumu so eloquently corrected the grammar in the OP.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I admit Im not the worlds best speller, there are a lot of times when Im in a hurry because I have to go to work/sleep/whatever and dont use spell check and even ignore obvious mistakes simply because I want to get my point across before I go and I know if I wait until I have more time the thread is likely to have jumped way ahead to some other discussion.

Im also guilty of using words like 'prolly, ya'll, thou, and forgetting to use ' a lot, when on the internet. Most of it has just developed from gaming so long and just stuck that way. Other failures on my part are a result of a mild learning disability and teachers who never wanted to bother to take the time to actualy teach me english in a way I could really understand growing up. I wouldnt be surprised if as a result Im one of those few people's who's post you never read .

But I do have to ask Shur, this makes two threads now that you've made that seems to really focus mainly on one person in particular, even though you try to go about attacking them in a round-a-bout way. Have you ever actualy tried taking up your issue with them in private rather than ranting about them in public like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    I still find this horribly ironic that there were no spelling errors in the OP according to your corrections. Yet you feel something other than the OP's rants is a reason to jump on someone- Grammar. Not the spelling and net speak that the OP was ranting about.
    There was a spelling error. Aught is incorrect. Ought is the word he needed. I missed it.

So his spell checker told him he spelled everything correctly in his rant. Great. Does he deserve a cookie for having a spell checker?

There is a multitude of reasons a person's spelling may not be up to snuff.

Perhaps they are 12 years old. Perhaps they are using a browser without a spell checker. Perhaps they are non-native to the language and their spell checker is in a different language entirely. Perhaps they are simply uneducated.

I also do not in any way shape or form believe that a single mistake I make in one of a dozen posts, is an excuse for others to keep on making whole posts incoherient, creating headaches for more than one. That whole "make sure you are perfect in every way before you complain about someone" is BS and you know it.
    I never said you had to be perfect to complain but spelling errors are the most pathetic of reasons to complain about someone.

Especially when they utilize superficial stereotypes in their complaints.

*did not correct the "ought" which was an eyecatcher at first sight^^`*

I hope and advice (referring to Tcei`s post, as I feel the same) that never ever
    someone pitches on single persons.

Let me get philosophycal: Istaria is a little Island- it should be a good place for all kind of creatures.
    (and yes I know that sounds clumsy)

Isn't Honshu a 'little island?'

Runs from Justice and GOJIRRA!!!

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

For great justice!

Aught is technically not misspelled. It is archaic. It is used colloquially, especially in certain regions but is not acceptable in professional usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    But I do have to ask Shur, this makes two threads now that you've made that seems to really focus mainly on one person in particular, even though you try to go about attacking them in a round-a-bout way. Have you ever actualy tried taking up your issue with them in private rather than ranting about them in public like this?

which one person might that be? I actually made the original post as a better thought-out clone of a post i made on a different forum i frequent.

I admit I often drop capitals due to being too lazy to reach the shift key with my little finger when I touch type (it does depend on where I'm typing too; on forums I'm not usually too bad, on MSN etc it does tend to be ignored). I've always been a pretty good speller/decent at grammar too just naturally. However mistakes are made. And yes, it does mildly bug me to see things spelt wrong, I just want to make them right, but I can't! From always being good at spelling though, I developed through school an understanding (at that time however, it was more pride ) that not everyone is good with spelling and/or grammar. But as long as they are trying, I'm fine with that (putting in u, 2moz etc is NOT trying, however I'm happy enough with colloquialisms and dialects, just as y'all or me'sen - yorkshire for myself )

And when it comes to non-native speakers... well heck I don't care how many mistakes they make, I have nothing but respect for them even learning the language (even if they were forced to at school). My German wasn't *too* bad when at school but now I remember next to nothing of it and would be horribly ashamed if I tried to type it. I wouldn't expect anyone to mess around going to external sites for spell/grammar checks; using the built in one might be nice but I never bother with it and don't blame others for not using it either.

As long as the post is legible, I'm happy. If it's completely impossible to understand then I will either ignore it (if it's blatantly someone not bothering) or ask them to clarify (not to pick on anyone here but there are certain non-english that sometimes confuse me when they post). Heck even a grammatically correct, well spelt post can be confusing sometimes, simply because the poster themselves wasn't 100% sure as to the point they were trying to get across.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Thread Information