Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn to bloody spell

Default Re: Learn to bloody spell

Well was trying to craft earlier and ended up drowned in the water , this is also the reason my spelling is really bad in game some times.
    Could not resist.
    Last edited by MarshDog; January 28th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Bad Saris, go off the keyboard!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

lol! Yeah, Saris don't really have the required digits for typing. Dragons at least have fairly long talons to tap keys with!
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Quote Originally Posted by pevil2000 View Post
    Dragons at least have fairly long talons to tap keys with!
    uhhmm- that does not work for all dragons^^
    Leave out certain purple and golden ones

Quote Originally Posted by MarshDog View Post
    Well was trying to craft earlier and ended up drowned in the water , this is also the reason my spelling is really bad in game some times.
    Could not resist.
    hmm, yes, being a left-handed kitten could make typing difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by pevil2000 View Post
    lol! Yeah, Saris don't really have the required digits for typing. Dragons at least have fairly long talons to tap keys with!
    You mean big old paws to mash the entire keyboard with...talk about fat fingering! (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it).

(BTW, Marsh, that is really too, too cute! )

pffft you dragons are useless... then again my typing has gotten worse since being Ancient... it's all this arthritis in my old bones, caused by flying around far too long during the ARoP! yes, that's it... *blames the council*
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Quote Originally Posted by MarshDog View Post
    Could not resist.
    Ah, so cute
    My beloved cat (he died a few years ago ) used to sit straight up right in front of the screen and with his behind and tail on the keyboard. Prefered position when I was glued to the screen, very busy fighting bad guys. He caused me to die many times, , I really miss him.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

YES THIS IS A DERAIL!

this is cairo the diva kitty:

cai-cai loves to sit right in front of my screen (much easier now that i have the flat screen) when i am doing something important.
    cai-cai also loves to walk on the keyboard when i am not paying her more attention than i am to the game.
    when she deigns to allow me to play unimpeded, she watches me very closely (she does not think i am really very regal at all, and tries to lead by example) from her loungebed on my scanner. i have pix of that somewhere......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

How very cute is that

I have to be quite careful to play when my kids are asleep now, as my oldest (4) is desparate to play any game that I do.. and has a lot of fun creating new creatures on the Spore Creature Creator.. I dread to think what would happen if I let him play Istaria...
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Oops, thread derail. (even though it's not caturday)
    My kitteh, Neko. She's a rescue, with quite the personality.
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    How very cute is that

I have to be quite careful to play when my kids are asleep now, as my oldest (4) is desparate to play any game that I do.. and has a lot of fun creating new creatures on the Spore Creature Creator.. I dread to think what would happen if I let him play Istaria...
    Since this thread is way derailed...
    I can see it..
    "Ooo... I wanna play Istaria..."
    kid clicks "Create new character"
    computer response "no character slots left"
    kid clicks "Delete Character"
    computer response "are you sure you want to do this"
    kid clicks "Yes"
    kid clicks "Create new character"
    computer response "character name"
    kid types "mommyskid"
    kid says "Mommy... look what I did.. "
    mommy says "OMFG...... YOU DELETED Bobda!!!!!"
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I'm not currently playing so don't post on any in game issues anymore, but do have a question about all these threads on grammar and spelling etc.

WHY? Ive read post talking about wasting peoples time trying to decipher posts, making them stupider for reading them, calling people dumbies etc...etc...

This is public forum for people who share a common love of Istaria wether playing or not. Why insult someone you may like in game because he lacks your education, or understanding of the english language.

This is a moderated forum, if someones posts are so bad they should privately deal with it, not sit by and let a large segment of the player base be insulted by a group of people who feel their better than someone for being better spoken.

If you cant understand a post don't read it, why get so upset about it, its silliness.

For a group of people that praise ourselfs as coming from the best mmmo community ever, the forums sure are nasty sometimes.

Sorry for piping in when not playing but still enjoy following the forums while deciding where i play next.

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    ... have a question about all these threads on grammar and spelling etc...WHY? Ive read post talking about wasting peoples time trying to decipher
    Meh. Ignore them, Teto.

It is the same person repeatedly starting new threads with the very same nitpicky topic, making mistakes of their own and whining when someone points them out. They repeatedly quote the same word that was misspelled in a post by one player. To my mind it is starting to seem like harassment of that one player (a kind person and a friend of mine) and I have heard/read about enough.

It is mean, it is petty and it is narrow minded.

(And, dear Teto, it is not worth your worry. You are ten times as smart as any self-appointed grammar policeman.)
    Last edited by aine; July 10th, 2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot to say: beautiful kitties, Vel and Nisse! :)

Really? Would you care to quote one of my whining responses? Or perhaps provide a link? Would you mind telling me what that one word i repeatedly quote is?

I hardly find it surprising that you know someone who has used one or more of the words I have pointed out in my various posts, as those words tend to be rather quite infectious on these Interblags. It seems rather more that you are looking to find malicious intent, doubly so when you take into account that my OP in this thread was a clone from a separate forum I inhabit. I can assure you that i had no specific person from -this- forum in mind at the creation of this thread.

I coulda swore I read one of your replies in this thread referencing Lightning's (then) current thread. *Shrugs*
    There's also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shur
    My current tick: Loar <- this is not a word. Lore is a word, loar is not. get right, moron.
    Made in the Grammar Nazi thread, just shortly after another thread he started. There's also times when you'll out right attack him in his own threads. Im not in the mood at the moment to go hunt down all those other post. This is what (IMHO) is aggravating so many people, anytime he makes a string of posts you'll either make a rude reply or start another rant thread about spelling and grammar.
    Really if it bothers you that much take it up with him privately or put him on ignore and be done with it.

This post is primarily aimed at people writing in their native language without any disabilities that may affect their writing (ie. the "d00d fi u can figre out wut i rite y duz it mater lol" crowd). People should strive to have their spelling and grammar as coherent as possible. If a post requires people to mentally "translate" something, then it's just sloppy writing and rude to the reader. Usually I'll skip over posts written like that because if it's not worth your time to make it coherent, then it's not worth my time to read it. At the same time, mistakes happen, and people shouldn't be attacked for misspelling the occasional word or misplacing a comma.

Random semi-related story:
    Back in college I had a friend who was aspiring to attend medical school. She was a great student, a double major even. Her grades were consistently high, she had a part-time job relevant to a medical profession, and she was a very hard worker. The only thing going against her were her MCAT scores, which were a bit low, but still passable. The MCAT is the entrance level exam for medical school, kind of like the SAT for college.

The application for most medical schools is an online form that you fill out, which then goes out to however many schools you want to apply for. It had various sections for college transcript, work experience, and some essays. She filled it out and then had to wait a few months for decisions to be made.

A few months later she was heartbroken when she received rejection letter after rejection letter. She ended up getting only two interviews, and they were both for schools she wasn't particularly enthusiastic about. Luckily she was accepted to one of them, but she was unhappy about it for years. She couldn't understand why so many schools rejected her application when it was so competitive.

I never had the heart to tell her, but after she sent out the online application she showed it to me. I noticed over and over again she had the word "recieved" written. I'm not 100% positive, but I would put money on the fact that because she didn't bother to use a spell checker most of those schools tossed her application. The thought is that if you're too lazy to do something as quick as run a spell check for something as important as an application that will decide the coarse of the rest of your life, then they don't want you there.

The moral of the story is that sometimes your spelling really really really is important.

Though I usually stand up for the other side, I really agree with you, Sika.

Spelling right, use the correct grammar and punctuation is more than only
    politeness towards the readers.

Or being able to do.

In earlier times, only the (male!!) members of a certain social class were able to read and write. Or were allowed to learn that.
    Or were allowed to learn at all.
    Nowadays again, education is the privilege of certain classes (not neccessarily
    dependent on money, but most of the time. In Germany we are classified in 9 different classes-one of them e.g. "educated citicenry"= low money, high education).

I´ve been a teacher (of already well educated young people) for many years. I never met so many people with problems concerning the topic and the posts of this thread, than I did here in Israria.
    I experienced their sadness and shame, having to ask for help ingame or concerning new announcements (native speakers).
    Others sometimes panic because they to not speak/write English, and rather cancel gi`s , than being unable to communicate in group (not being able to speak English is kind of flaw here in Germany).
    All that sometimes breaks my heart. That is why I argue that passionately.

But I`m sure the op never wanted to offend them.
    I only ask for more sensitive phrasing and empathy
    when it comes to this subject. Thank You.

I will use "dun" (don't), "prolly", etc... ONLY IN SPEECH.

Example...

*He throws a spear at you, which probably has a good chance of hitting you*

vs

"Well, I suppose we could prolly take him..."

I do that, because that is most likely how I would actually *say* the word (slurred/slang/etc) if I were standing next to you, and saying it, vocally. Another example:

"Where's Harro? I dunno..."

But otherwise, I agree highly. And I HATE HATE HATE HATE it when someone RPs with massive errors, when every other word is spelled incorrectly, and the net-shorthand/AIMspeak/Textspeak is used. Nnnngh!!!

That annoys me to no End....

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ost_comment_on

a fitting place to post this, i thought.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information