Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Learn to bloody spell

Default Re: Learn to bloody spell

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ost_comment_on

a fitting place to post this, i thought.....
    That was pretty funny until the following line: "there is a strong possibility he will inadvertently post the comment twice." At that point it became hilarious.

*Loves The Onion*

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Aught is technically not misspelled. It is archaic. It is used colloquially, especially in certain regions but is not acceptable in professional usage.
    *joins the rant after most others have left it*

Aught and ought mean two different things. Honestly, they do. I believe that this difference is declared in both the Oxford English and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries. Therefore you are correct in stating that 'aught' is not misspelled but given that the context clearly indicates the usage of 'ought' I will have to side with Kumu's observation that this is in fact a spelling error.

Isn't pedanticism a real pain in the arse?

Neigh!!!

Or would that be 'Bray!'
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    (Poor form to use the title as part of the first sentence in the thread.)(, )seriously. (Starting a sentence with a conjunction.)(T)this applies to the internet in general(Unnecessary comma.), not just these forums.

(I)if you expect people to take the time to read a thing(Unnecessary comma.), you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

(Unnecessary double return.)
    (Starting a sentence with an adverb is frowned upon.)(A)also, ("I have" is more appropriate.)got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, (I've)i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere(Unnecessary comma), and have this to say about it:

"(P)prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however(Unnecessary comma.), is a word. (T)the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" ((K)key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word(Unnecessary comma), it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed"(.)) (S)something (I)i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. (M)my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. (T)to see them suddenly come up in forums populated(Unnecessary comma.), mostly(Unnecessary comma.), with people (I)i at least respect(Unnecessary comma.), is disheartening.

When making fun of someone's spelling. You best check your own grammar at the door.

I also must comment on the "severely overweight dunces" statement. I have not heard such a stupid statement in many years. Are you seriously attempting to tell me that you have only ever heard "prolly" from overweight people? I actually use the term "prolly" myself. I do however fit your stereotype. I must not be someone you respect.
    I know this has been a dead thread for awhile. I just couldn't resist replying though since grammar and spelling are a severe source of irritation for me.

The "correction of the correction" is, in some cases, completely wrong. It's startling to see so many people that feel irritated about grammar and spelling yet seem to have a very shallow understanding of it. In other words: How can you be upset about something being wrong when you don't know what's right?

It just makes the reader feel as if you're looking for a reason to be angry.

Not, I'm sure, the result you're looking for when you (whomever) post the scalding and sarcastic response to a thread containing perceived errors.

Irony CAN be fun!

*Goes off to look for the elusive post from the devs about the status of the plot auctions.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Thread Information