Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Add DRAG and Primal to Gift of Speed, Please.

Default Re: Add DRAG and Primal to Gift of Speed, Please.

Honestly commenting that a hatchling can't use gift of velocity is kinda of irrelevant for lvls 10-25 as they only have 1 slot of gifts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Adwene View Post
    Honestly commenting that a hatchling can't use gift of velocity is kinda of irrelevant for lvls 10-25 as they only have 1 slot of gifts anyway.

True, but there are reasons for a hatchling to be able to cast his 'own' gift of speed. Some people, I'm one of them, chose to complete my dragon crafting before doing my adventuring...and on top of that...went to 100 dragon adventurer before doing RoP.

So yes...I had all 5 gift slots and even being able to cast gift of speed ib my own would have been of great benefit...especially during all the running around for RoP.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Even if you don't go all the way to 100, the instant you hit 20 in any school your second gift slot opens up. That means, even if they're using Dragon's Gift, the hatchies would have room for a Gift of Speed.
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Also SoG has been soloed long time ago by a biped. And recently by a dragon as far as I know.
    Hey! someone has read my Herald Report!

Yes SoG has been soloed by a dragon named Zanukk on Chaos.

On topic, yes, since Gift of Speed also is a bi-ped / dragon buff... why not all of them?

I know "Gift of Speed" is innocent and such as it is just a speed up enhancement, but "Gift of Armor" is just an armor enhancement... etc.

Now we are starting to sound as if Dragons could have a multi-class of "healer / cleric" casting all of this augmentation / life magic around.

"Gift of Velocity" affects dragons only so it was appropriate for dragons to be the only ones that can cast it. I can see the point of "speed" but then why not just have a primal version of all the gift spells.

I am happy that I have another "dragon only" gift spell to cast
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    Even if you don't go all the way to 100, the instant you hit 20 in any school your second gift slot opens up. That means, even if they're using Dragon's Gift, the hatchies would have room for a Gift of Speed.
    Psssst Favoran... it's level 25 *runs away*
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    Psssst Favoran... it's level 25 *runs away*
    What? You mean, you don't get 6 gift slots?
    <----clicky!

I think for the purpose of this thread it's helpful if we ignore the fact that dragons have two item slots that can take Speed tech, while bipeds only have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarp View Post
    I think for the purpose of this thread it's helpful if we ignore the fact that dragons have two item slots that can take Speed tech, while bipeds only have one.
    Nor should we count the fact that any multi-class ped will take Ranger to 76 so they can have "Fleet of Foot" (I think that's what it is called) that is masterable across all classes for +10 to run speed and get the other masterable ability "Nature's path" for another +40 which dragons can't get.

To my knowledge the bipeds have 2 distanced ways to increase their speed and in some classes 3
    Gift of speed
    Swift feet
    And the kitty sprint

Dragons have lost there ancient air sprint wich I would LOVE to see brought back
    So I am for a Movement Increase ability for Dragons
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

They did not lose the are sprint. I was factored in to our Air speed long ago. So effectively we are perma sprinting from our original air speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    They did not lose the are sprint. I was factored in to our Air speed long ago. So effectively we are perma sprinting from our original air speed.
    Yes but the air sprint allowed me to go over what i get now with gift of Velocity althow it helps
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I hate to do this, but I gotta say it. A dragon is only a "glass cannon" if you make yourself one. I'm no glass canonn, I'm a tanker, and if you want proof I can take screens of me mass-killing beetles on fire island. There's not a named I can't solo(even Surthiem), and it's all thanks to lots of armor and health. I plan on an attempt to solo Fafnir as well. Yes, you heard me right

Anyways, I agree with the gift of speed thing. It'd be very useful for poor hatchies running all over the place during their RoP. Heck, the running around is what takes the longest!

Being a hatchie and a recent addition to Isttaria, running around, especially in the company of Bipeds, considering the physics and such, it really surprises me how this little bitty 2 legger can run way faster than a hatchie, which while small to an adult, is quite large compared to a Biped.

I have a couple sugguestions, though I don't know how this stuff works or how it'd be implemented, etcc (noob!) This has less to do with an active gift as it does with the mechanics of the game.

Anyway, sugguestion 1: I thought since Dragons are quadrupedal, they might have better endurance than Bipeds. As such, maybe there could be a change where, the longer we run continuously, the faster we could go (with a cap speed) This would be mostly beneficial as far as the long runs go, and general hatchie running around.

Suggueestion 2: Still going with the Quad vs Biped thing - Maybe the increase of road speed could be expandded to everywehere for Dragons, or at least for hatchies, since, being on 4 legs, it would be easier (supposedly) for them to move over non paved terrain. I don't know if this makes sense, but I got the idea from watching myg dog run in terrain that it would be very difficult for me to get around in if I were not on the cleared path.

Again, noob here, but I thought I'd suggest anyway

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

no prob and welcome, wind - been here for almost 4 years and i am still a noob!!
    without us, how would the pwnzorz feel important?
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WindSeeker View Post
    Anyway, sugguestion 1: I thought since Dragons are quadrupedal, they might have better endurance than Bipeds. As such, maybe there could be a change where, the longer we run continuously, the faster we could go (with a cap speed) This would be mostly beneficial as far as the long runs go, and general hatchie running around.

Suggueestion 2: Still going with the Quad vs Biped thing - Maybe the increase of road speed could be expandded to everywehere for Dragons, or at least for hatchies, since, being on 4 legs, it would be easier (supposedly) for them to move over non paved terrain. I don't know if this makes sense, but I got the idea from watching myg dog run in terrain that it would be very difficult for me to get around in if I were not on the cleared path.
    I like suggestion 2. Definitely makes sense, from just about any perspective you can take (other than a fairness of ped vs dragon, but shh). Maybe not the full +25 speed of a road, but something like +10 or +15.

I think suggestion 1 is good too, but there's probably lots of coding behind an idea like that, and we don't want to distract the good devs when they're busy with other things. Also, when you bring endurance into things, it makes it sound like the longer you run for the slower you should become. I really don't like that particular idea... though I know you didn't mention it.

Oh yeah... and if my younger bro were here, he'd let the two of you know that it's 'newb', not 'noob'. 'Newb' is 'newbie', and 'noob' are those jerks no one likes to play with.
    <----clicky!

Oh yeah... and if my younger bro were here, he'd let the two of you know that it's 'newb', not 'noob'. 'Newb' is 'newbie', and 'noob' are those jerks no one likes to play with.
    *nods most vigorously*
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

As far as only having 1 Gift Slot... when you are crafting, or just running around for RoP, you don't NEED Dragon's Gift.

You are assuming that a dragon always has Dragon's Gift up, and that is not really a fair assumption to make, because Dragon's Gift only buffs combat abilities, namely Primal and T&C IIRC. It does not buff Strength, Dexterity, Focus, Power, etc, that could actually be used in crafting. So, while I am crafting, I just plain don't bother casting it, as there's no reason to.

A Lv10 hatchie doesn't need Dragon's Gift if he's not in combat (travelling or crafting). So, if we gave Gift of Speed to dragons, if I were a hatchie, I'd be using that instead of Dragon's Gift (which gives me no real benefit unless I'm fighting stuff).

As far as the "If we give them Gift of Speed, you'll want more!", no, not at all. Gift of Armor is a combat ability. It buffs your ability to fight things. Gift of Speed is 99% crafting/travelling/non-combat buff. Sure, you could use it to kite a mob, but I can think of far better ways to kite a mob. And besides, what is a hatchling going to kite? Some named that nobody cares about? Give me a break...

In no way am I asking for Combat Gifts, I only brought up the point that Gift of Velocity is useless for hatchlings, and that they should get a Gift of Speed to make up for it. As far as having TWO Wing Scales, most hatchlings don't get their 2nd Wing, especially with all of the Lv30-40 adults I see running around these days.

Gift of Speed is a non-combat gift, I see no reason why we can't allow Dragons to cast it with the Primal Skill.

I think it would make more sense to simply change Gift of Velocity to Gift of Acceleration and have it provide a tiered bonus to both Velocity and Speed for dragons. Since dragons are the only race that flies add them both to the same gift and save an extra gift slot. Just my two coppers.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

That's a good idea, Vengeance, I wonder if it's easy enough to impliment? Then 'peds would still have their precious gifts.

Honestly, though... T5 Gift of Speed/Velocity adds 10 - 10! - speed/velocity. Most hatchies would only get +2 or +4 from a gift of speed/acceleration spell. Is it just me, or does that seem less than impossibly insignificant? What'll it save you in the long run, 5 seconds?
    <----clicky!

That's a good idea, Vengeance, I wonder if it's easy enough to impliment? Then 'peds would still have their precious gifts.

Honestly, though... T5 Gift of Speed/Velocity adds 10 - 10! - speed/velocity. Most hatchies would only get +2 or +4 from a gift of speed/acceleration spell. Is it just me, or does that seem less than impossibly insignificant? What'll it save you in the long run, 5 seconds?
    I'm sure you've heard of Diminishing Returns, but have you heard of Growing Returns?

Okay, let's say that you have 50 speed, without any bonuses at all. And let's say that you walk for 5 minutes straight (such as, trying to get down to that stupid RoP Quest NPC that is waaaaaaaaay south of Dralk).

You travel X distance, at 50 speed, using up 300 seconds (5 minutes). We can ignore X, as we don't care what the distance really is. Let's say we do that again, but now, we are moving 75 speed (Road Bonus). That same distance is now being traveled faster, which means we are using less time to travel that distance. That same travel now becomes 200 seconds. How I got that, is simple:

If we are traveling at 50 speed over 300 seconds, we travel 15,000 units, assuming it was constant travel and no stops were made.

If we are travelling at 75 speed over 300 seconds, we travel 22,500 units instead, and the difference between the two is 66.6%, or, 2/3s. So, we can easily take off 1/3rd of the time, to travel the same 15,000 at 75 speed.

So, let's add +10, as Favoran doesn't think that +10 speed means that much. This makes us now traveling at 85 speed.

85 x 300 = 25,500
    15,000 / 25,500 = 0.59, or we might as well round and say 60%.
    300 * 60% = 180.

So, instead of 200 seconds used to travel that distance, we are using up 300 - 180, or, 120 seconds instead. So you shave off a good 80 seconds (1 minute 20 seconds) off of a 200 second (3 minutes 40 second) journey. That's quite a jump by adding just 10 speed.

All of this is, of course, assuming no sprints were used.

If we assume a 10 minute walk, we end up shaving off 40 seconds (almost an entire minute!), still a pretty big jump. The longer you walk, the more you are saving. And let's not forget that this +10 speed works while dragging a cargo disk now, too! That gives you even better results while crafting, if you can walk back to the machine that much faster...
    Last edited by Dhalin; July 13th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Thread Information