Thread: Wierd Sounds

Default Wierd Sounds

Since some time my Pc acts a bit wierd. When I surf the forums here my headphones start randomly to scream and scratch like someone is dancing on my soundcard.. but this only happens on this board. The problem fixes itself when i close my browser and start it new. But sometimes my computer starts toally to act akward and gets very slow with the screams and scratches, then i have to restart my pc and all is fine.

I think somehow those dragon cave things have something to do with it since it started when they appeared. >_>

Any suggestions? Maybe I need a new sounddriver or such?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Default Re: Wierd Sounds

It sounds like it could be a number of different things.

Corrupted data can be garbled if it's a sound packet and cause feedback. That can be from packet loss, a bad connection for your headphones or your video card not seated properly or needing to be cleaned with some compressed air (if there's enough dust it can inhibit efficient communication across the card due to heat)

Or something as simple as a glitch in how the sound is being interpreted by your sound card.

I would.. clean the computer out with some compressed air, check to make sure the card is seated properly and mounted (with a screw) for stability, make sure your internet connection is solid from your point of origin to the servers at istaria (you can ping to them to verify there's no packet loss or go to an internet speed/health assessment website) and make sure there's nothing metal touching any connections inside the computer, especially near the fans.. if you have an empty power connector or some odd bit of wire randomly dancing across your sound card as it's blown around you can hear some odd scratches and screeches too but normally they're pretty prominant and sometimes can cause your computer to reboot or even short out

And lastly, make sure you have the newest drivers for your soundcard (even if you already have them, download them again so you can overwrite any corrupted files).

That's the fix-all though.. if someone can help narrow it down from personal experience, that might be helpful to save her time.

Hmm, I also have had this problem from time to time, but only in Vista while browsing in IE. Really annoying when it does happen.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

I have Xp and use IE, maybe IE is also a part of that problem hmm..

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Just FYI, the screaming earphones phenomena stopped after I switched to the Opera Browser, seems IE was the problem that caused that. Since I have Opera now it never happened again.

My wife and I had the same issue some time ago. However it wasnt just this sight we noticed it hapening on. What we found , after some hair pulling, was that everytime our cell phones reistablished connection to whatever they connect to or if they were just charging near the pcs we would get those little noises. So maybe check and see if you have any electrical devices too close to your pc.

Muslyx

I had a similar noise, but it was from the motherboard! I was experimenting with putting the ram settings up a little higher in the bios and got the strangest effect ever.

The pc was stable and didn't crash, and was as anticipated slightly faster in 3dmark. Nothing worth the bother though...
    ... anyway when the pc was stressed, and noted events were mode/resolution changes, using the mouse wheel to scroll a window in IE, and occasionally in games ... the pc would squeek! Even more nuts, the noise was coming from a capacitor and not the pc speaker! In IE, the noise would only happen when the window was above a certain size/area.

I put the ram settings back to normal pretty quickly.

Rakku

Thread Information