Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lair/Plot Shrine second portal bind (warning, flammable)

Default Lair/Plot Shrine second portal bind (warning, flammable)

We make shrines in our plots and lairs, but for the most part they're not really feasible to use since (for the vase majority of us) there are no teleporters nearby to the community so it's a one way trip followed by lots of running/flying to the nearest community that has a teleporter.

My suggestion would be to use the shrine in the lair/plot (functioning only for the person that owns that particular lair/plot with possibly some different rules for guild plots) as a secondary bindpoint with like a 20-60 minute cooldown.

This will make the time and resources required to build a shrine on a plot/lair worth the effort for the person that owns the lair/plot at least.

I'm not sure about the coding, but in order to incorporate the cooldown to the recall you'd almost have to create an ability and hook it a copied version of the recall script with the separate biote. And make it something they have to go talk to an NPC to get (as far as the ability) after they build a shrine in their lair/plot.

Granted, once they sell the lair/plot they'd have to go back to get it reissued.

And, of course, you'd probably have to shift the type of shrine in lairs/plots or give us a new kind to bind to in order to keep them separate. Not the easiest suggestion I've made, but feasible I think.

Just a thought.

Default Re: Lair/Plot Shrine second portal bind (warning, flammable)

I would love an idea like a "recall to plot" ability. You have to build a certain structure on your plot/lair, then you get the ability to recall there regardless of where you are bound. Only the plot/lair owner could use it.

A cool-down period would be necessary to keep people from abusing it I'm sure, but I would like to see that implemented

/seconded

It is a good idea to do with a new building/object ... the reason there a re so many shrines tho is that they come with the building the has storage room.
    What?!?! You mean I can kill things here too?!?!
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20
    100s-Outfiiter, Tailor, Jeweler, Blacksmith -- others 0-87

A giant /SIGN on this one.

Shrines in Plots/Lairs are almost useless. There are very few that aren't, and as the OP says, most lairs and plots are out in the middle of nowhere, with no portals for miles. Binding yourself there, you treat yourself to a very long travel time to get Anywhere at all.

Either let us make portals (I assume this would not be feasible?), or let us have a 2nd recall ability. Even if you have to make it have a cooldown (I don't see why it would have to have a long CD, 5-10min should be sufficient), it would still be better than Nothing.

I do not currently plan to build a shrine in my lair. If I have extra room, I might. But I will never use it. Why? My lair is near Kenaf Port. There's a Destination pad there, but no teleporter. Heck, I don't know if there are ANY Teleporters on the entire Scorpion Island except for the "secret" one that leads to Abandoned Isle.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

fortunately for me, my plot is almost right next to a port in. so i have never really needed a recall to plot ability like a shrine (altho, my first plot at clear port was a guild plot, and there were 2 'shrines' available that i briefly recalled to), but i would be in favor of a 2nd recall - only if it was a recall to plot only. binding to more than one town/game shrine is not acceptable to me - i see too much potential for abuse.
    i would much rather have a port out (at least to brist and/or the settlements) near ports in and vice versa.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Second binding points is not possible at this time. Buildable portals on plots/lairs is not feasible at all, sorry. But all is not lost, we're still looking at other ways to help travel be less of a burden.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    we're still looking at other ways to help travel be less of a burden.
    Best news I've heard in a while

Second binding points is not possible at this time. Buildable portals on plots/lairs is not feasible at all, sorry. But all is not lost, we're still looking at other ways to help travel be less of a burden.
    Could you look at the possibility to recall/port to your cargodisk too? You know, when you have nothing to do ...

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Mensar creates brilliant idea supported with fact and **NO

But it's a great idea you see its.. **NO

But.. **NO

golly...

( :P )

I know it's a limited engine, just throwing out what I can. Sorry if I'm a pain, Amon

I'm sure that's a hint that they've already thought about it before and tried... multiple times to get it to possibly work :P

Mensar creates brilliant idea supported with fact and **NO

But it's a great idea you see its.. **NO

But.. **NO

golly...

( :P )

I know it's a limited engine, just throwing out what I can. Sorry if I'm a pain, Amon
    You aren't being a pain at all. Brainstorming is a great exercise. Keep it up!

You're just kind of hitting on ideas that have been thought of before by us and players. But, sooner or later you may hit upon something

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I can just hear Smeglor over in Seattle: "If I had a nickle for every time someone asked for a buildable portal or pad..."

I remember how we had lots and lots of postings about these same things. It seems that they show up on regular intervals, just when you think they've been forgotten.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

good idea and i thought i remember something some years ago, that the devs announced/thought about a second bind option i would love it

In another game we had a "bind", then we also had a "crystal" that was usable once every 60 mins. The "crystal" was a house(lair/plot/guild) bind point. Maybe something like that would be doable....
    Blacknite - Chaos

I noticed that it's possible for an augmentation to override your bind point so that when you recall, you go to a different set of coordinates besides the ones you were standing at when you bound yourself to a shrine. This happens when you die while fighting on the isles of battle.

While this feature is probably impractical to use for recalling to individual player plots, what about using it to recall to pre-selected geographic locations?

i would say if there is going to be a secondary recall option with a cooldown on it, we should be allowed to choose where to bind it. I personally have my bind point set as my lair and would like to not have to wait for a cooldown to recall to my primary spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I do not currently plan to build a shrine in my lair. If I have extra room, I might. But I will never use it. Why? My lair is near Kenaf Port. There's a Destination pad there, but no teleporter. Heck, I don't know if there are ANY Teleporters on the entire Scorpion Island except for the "secret" one that leads to Abandoned Isle.
    Actually, there are 2 portals on Scorpion Island... One is at Slate Hills and the other is between Water's Edge and Scorpion's Bay (or was that Claw... I get those two mixed up... Anyways, it's the one further south).

Karya

Amon, I'm sorry but "not possible" is not enough information for me so I'm going to assume that you mean it is just not possible based on your current knowledge. Sorry if this is redundant in some fashion.

My assumptions:
    * Shrines have entity numbers and x/y/z coordinates.
    * There is a function or sub that takes an item the player has selected from a list (such as portal destination list) and looks up data to get an x/y/z for transporting the player to that location. (this would work also work with recall but instead of a list there is an x/y/z stored someplace for that particular player's recall).

My suggestion:
    Simplest: Let players hotkey a shrines entity # then use that in a "/greet" someplace (Bristugo comes to mind) to portal the player to that shrine. Your database knows the x/y/z and just needs to offset that a bit so they don't pop right on top of the shrine. Sure you still have to go to Bristugo and I guess everyone will then be bound there after this but it's not a terrible option IMHO. We already have NPCs that port you to various places so this is not crazy I think.

I had more complex but RL calls. Any possibilities here?

Thanks for reading.

QuO, I'm not going to argue. Suffice to say that my knowledge comes from a discussion in 2005/2006 about buildable and secondary bind points with Smeglor. Without additional code, this cannot be done. It is not something we can just turn on without simulation work.

We've also discussed this from a design point of view before and decided that it wasn't in the game's best interest. But, like Steelclaw pointed out, there is the possibility for foods that teleport you to places. So that is possible and is on a list to consider.

We've also discussed this from a design point of view before and decided that it wasn't in the game's best interest. But, like Steelclaw pointed out, there is the possibility for foods that teleport you to places. So that is possible and is on a list to consider.
    Hmmm could sell items the teleports you to a particular destination, like the rune of teleportation does, wouldn't that be an additionnal moneysink ? At least we'd have something interesting to spend money on.

Thread Information