Thread: Deer/wild animals that run away?

Default Deer/wild animals that run away?

I see the picture now....: skinner walks up, knife in hand, deer stares at him with big doe eyes as if to say, "don't kill me?". The skinner briefly pats the deer before stabbing it in the heart.

Umm... does anyone see any problems with this? I recall a scene in the installer where there is a gnome either running with or after a herd of deer. This could probably be applied to most nonagressive non corraled animals. You would have to cast a bolt or arrow or simply be quick enough to kill them before they get away.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Default Re: Deer/wild animals that run away?

I see no problem at all with this. To me it is just another resource node.

You mean like the wisps already do? *Runs after a wisp, trying so hard to catch it's essence*.

I don't know, Callak...I am all for the prey running away...that "doe eyes" and "pat before stabbing" part is kind harsh...
    (Aye, I know that was for effect. )

I'd love for -food- to at least be afraid of me when I am gathering radiant essence and keep getting 'A deer' on F10.

Surprised me that even after slaughtering one of them in spite, the others lazily continue on thier buisness....

*Roars and sets the whole forest on fire then resumes chasing the essence*

While with some coding I'm sure this could be done, the lack of a world model would create lots of bad situations for pathfinding (i.e. deer running into rocks, through buildings or trees, up hills).
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

But they're doing it now, Amon. At least, wisps run through trees. Deer run through anything in their way that isn't ground. I've not seen them with trees yet. They even moonwalk!
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    While with some coding I'm sure this could be done, the lack of a world model would create lots of bad situations for pathfinding (i.e. deer running into rocks, through buildings or trees, up hills).
    Mosters allready do this when they want to get away or chase you, it's not going to spoil the emersion any further if animals do it too, in fact it would be a little more emersive in my opinion.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Thread Information