Thread: Inquiring How to Change Flapping Animation Speed

Default Inquiring How to Change Flapping Animation Speed

I always avoid setting my dragon to be level or upwards-tilted when flying because the flying animation gives me a headache; poor Tchanel looks like someone hypnotized him into believing he's a hummingbird.

I have no problem with the actual animation, not really, just the speed at which it plays while you're flying (especially once you have some +Velocity scales and Gift of Velocity on, since it gets even faster then.)

Any bit of lag makes it even worse, and I really can't stand looking at it when I'm at low FPS because I'm flying over a town or into a new area. I always stick with gliding but I'd like to be able to have the wing-flapping animation not be painful as well.

So I'd like to know what file(s) I'd need to fiddle with to get his wings to slow down a good bit when he's flapping them, if anyone has any idea.
    Tchanel Rulskyl, Ancient of Order.
    Currently unable to return due to being poor.

Default Re: Inquiring How to Change Flapping Animation Speed

I do not think it's possible as, last time I looked, you can only change flight on/off and not flight speed... but I'm not pretty good in searching in all those billion files....

I know how you change your flight for "fly/glide" though. What I mean is you glide when pressing forward and you flap wings only to re-gain a little height, with Q (default). The only problem is that if you put it in autoforward and go away, your dragon will land after a bit of time and who knows where you will end
    BlueFire Mertandel, angel of the blue mist

I feel the same way wirevix, its the sound that bothers me the most tho. I've always pictured it as once a dragon gets to its desired height it stops flapping as much or mostly glides. I'd really like to see the animation be changed for wkhen the dragon is perfectly level for it to have its wings spread like its gliding with only the occasional beat of the wings to give it the illusion that its doing it to keep its altitude

Its doable.

Go to
    "C:\Program Files\Virtrium\Horizons\resources\definitions\char acters\dragon\dragon_u_anim_flight.def"
    (note, this only works for adult dragons, for ancients, you have to modify the file in the dragona folder)

the string you want to edit looks like this:
    " //flightascend
    {
    string name = "flightascend"
    float easeInTime = 0.3
    float easeOutTime = 0.3
    float moveSpeed = 6.75
    bool loop = true
    TAnimation list animList = "

this string:
    float moveSpeed = 6.75

the higher the number in that string (6.75 was the default for mine) the slower the flight animation.

Let me know if that works for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by WindSeeker View Post
    this string:
    float moveSpeed = 6.75

the higher the number in that string (6.75 was the default for mine) the slower the flight animation.

Let me know if that works for you guys.
    Tried that a while ago but didn't notice any change :/

Edit : never mind, tried it again and it works well.
    Last edited by Zexoin; August 17th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WindSeeker View Post
    (note, this only works for adult dragons, for ancients, you have to modify the file in the dragona folder)
    Haven't tried it yet, just wanted to note, there is no anim_flight.def in the dragona folder. So I assume the adult one works for ancients too?

The anim file is in the dragons folder. I'm not positivee if it effects Ancients.

Its in the resourses/definitions/characters/dragon/ folder and should be listed as dragon_u_anim_flight

We fiddled about with it more and yes, it'll affect Ancients too.

That's good then I prefer the slower speed myself.

how do i get it to wrok with Ancients ?
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Apparently, editing the one in the adult dragon folder should change it for ancients as well since they use that animation file.

hmm soo i juset copy the dragon.filtgh to overright folder and rename it dragona flight ?
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Do not rename it. You just copy it to override as-is, change the number, do not rename. The ancient dragon uses the animation from the adult folder so if you rename it, it won't be able to find the file so your animation will stay unchanged.

Ok for some reason these folders are not in my Horizons folder, whether they are hidden or just no there. I only have commands, resources, original_ancient in my HZ folder, and in the resources its just the interface folder. o__0

There are no real game files shown...

Are you sure you're looking in the right folder? The folder path should be something like
    Program Files/Virtrium/Horizons/resources
    depending on where you chose to install the game of course.

Make sure you're not accidentally checking in resources_override, or in an old copy of the directory that the game doesn't use anymore (like if you uninstalled it and reinstalled it.)

Ooh, yeah durh. It was under Artifact Entertainment too.. o_o
    Thanks.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

yeap mine is in tulga games folder....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information