Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curse you nature!

Default Re: Curse you nature!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    A few minutes on google. I live on a hill... sure-fire protection from flooding. I won't dispute that our weather is going Nuts due to human intervention though, because that's common sense to anyone except the professional sceptics and goverment officials. The latter's only doing something as part of a political vehicle ... disgusting.

Rakku
    It's not common sense to everyone. I don't believe in global warming. Every single thing that the rabid environmentalists say has been seen in the past. Before industrialization even.

My favorite example was in the 80's there was a breed of frog that was known for being susceptible to changes in the environment. They nearly went extinct. The environmentalists blamed global warming and other pollutants.

Then the very next year there were a billion of the **** things.

It's how nature works. Tons of predators eat all the frogs. Frogs nearly die out, predators have nothing to eat, they die out. Then without the predators, the frogs population grows. With all the frogs, there are more predators born and survive....

Heck, in a tousand or two or twenty years, our north and south poles will swap. The magnetic field does this every billion or so....

Global warming (In it's current state of panic) is just that. A panic. Sure, I am positive that we have an effect. The question is to what extent really. Remember the "ZOMG HOLE IN THE OZONE!!!!!"? We as a world put out more CFC's than when it was first noticed. Guess what. It never changed size after we noticed it and it grew. We didn't change. Mother nature did.

There is a metric crapton of information we don't know yet and some that we know is wrong (Always is something).

Should we be concerned about pollution and stuff? You bet. Fear for our lives because of global warming? I'm not so convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Should we be concerned about pollution and stuff? You bet. Fear for our lives because of global warming? I'm not so convinced.
    Well last year it was bird flu... I think I was probably the only one hoping for a pandemic lol... but that's just my wierd brain. This year it's Global Warming. Next year I wonder what crisis the media will give us. However our current problem won't really go away while we try and burn up as much oil as we can in as little time as possible in this one-car-per-person society. We as a race need a serious slap on the a$$. We're like one really big whiney child about to break their favorite toy by simply treating it like poop. I'm actually glad the oil is running out, and I hope bio-diesel isn't used widely (it's a disaster for ecology, having so much of one crop). Anyway that's an entire thread by itself... forget I said that.

The big one is the ice caps. They're shrinking at record rates. Think about a nice drink cooled by a couple of ice cubes on a hot summers day. The drink stays nice and cold while the ice is melting, and then the drink becomes warmer and generally not very nice pretty rapidly once the ice is gone. I wonder what will happen to this Earth once there are no ice caps...

I think I'll be a lumberjack, swinging from tree to tree, sleeping all night and working all day... in Canada.

Rakku

That just the thing.

The ice caps are melting! So what? They did in the past too. Then they froze from the caps to the eqator! (Well, not quite but you get the picture).

Ecosystems are funny that way. They swing.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post

I think I'll be a lumberjack, swinging from tree to tree, sleeping all night and working all day... in Canada.

Rakku

i wish i'd been a girlie, just like my dear papa!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

That just the thing.

The ice caps are melting! So what? They did in the past too. Then they froze from the caps to the eqator! (Well, not quite but you get the picture).

Aye... but if the ecosystem is sitting on that swing, then we're pushing *really* hard so that they're almost going over the top! Will the ecosystem fall off and break its knees?

*goes back to sleep*

That just the thing.

I don't mean to start an argument, but if you haven't read this I'd suggest you do so: RealClimate.org

It's important to not confuse "rabid environmentalists" with what science is actually saying. No, the world is not ending. But it is changing, and way too fast. Far faster than ever before, in fact, and the sun has nothing to do with it this time.

If you disagree with climate scientists (who are experts in their field, mind you) I suggest submitting your own peer-reviewed research stating how humans have nothing to do with the current global warming.
    Last edited by Dremora; August 21st, 2008 at 07:57 PM.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Thread Information