Thread: Gather increase?

Default Gather increase?

I would like to suggest that the gathering be increased with the leveling and size of character. Minimum should go from 1 to 10 with bonus double or even triple.
    When you need to gather 200,000 ore and get 1, 4, 2 its just gets depressing.
    Right now an ancient gathers the same amount of ore/slab etc as a hatchling, which logically speaking makes no sense.
    If you are a low lever crafter, sure it should be low but not when you are level 100 and the size of a small building.
    Help us make that part of crafting less tedious.

Default Re: Gather increase?

I always thought that, as you skill rises you should not gather so often 1, 2, 3 ore. It should go back an forth between numbers. Like when you are lvl 100 it should go between 8-15 harvested ressources.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

200,000? What're you trying to make, 50k maels?

When you're optimum at crafting a certain tier you can reach up to 15 slabs/ore/ess/ect in one swipe... I've always felt that someone who is optimum at t5 should be able to go and fill their disk and pack with t1 slabs on one resource node and then craft them 1:1, but it doesn't go past 15, I believe. XD

I'm not sure that I agree that size should effect how good one is at crafting; that only effects dragons anyways. Besides, size = raw strength =! crafting efficiency. At least, not always. There's finesse and skill involved, too.
    <----clicky!

I've found that having friends work with you on resource collection... making it a night out, for example works wonders for construction. 200k resources isn't all that hard, really, just probably a little monotonous.

That said, I've been a proponent of leaving the same bell curve in place but calculating the minimum amount gathered as something along the lines of (if this is even possible; I have no idea):

( CurrentPlayerGatheringSkill - NodeMinSkillToGather ) / 200
    Truncate the decimal in the result so it is treated as an integer.

This way, if I have 650 Mining skill and mining an Nickel node, my minimum gather would be: (650-400)/200 = 1

If I'm 940 Quarrying skill and hitting a Sandstone node, my minimum gather would be: (940-1)/200 = 4

That might not seem like much of a boost... but it would allow any effective increase to scale with your skill versus what you're gathering. It would also save some time in gathering lower tier mateials while not shifting the balance toward trivializing crafting.

Risk vs. reward in adventuring is relatively easy to define; risk vs. reward in crafting isn't as easy, so the "risk" element gets supplemented (or replaced, sometimes) with "time". As frustrating and monotonous as crafting sometimes can be, please try to keep that consideration in mind.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

By minimum, you don't mean the actual lowest amount you'll get at once, do you? Because even as a level 100 DCRA with t5 quarrying scales on, I still get 1 sandstone slab sometimes.
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    By minimum, you don't mean the actual lowest amount you'll get at once, do you? Because even as a level 100 DCRA with t5 quarrying scales on, I still get 1 sandstone slab sometimes.
    Aye, I mean the minimum you would get on a single swing. Right now, my wife as a L100 miner with 1200+ Current skill still can see a string of 1/2/1/3 when quarrying Sandstone... imo, that's silly.

I can see if you don't hit precisely where you wanted with your pick or if there's a hidden weakness in the stone deposit... but wouldn't a Dwarven super-uber-master Miner, who has been doing this forever, have the knowledge and capability to adjust their swing a little to compensate for that?

I'm not saying L100 crafters should be getting minimum 10/swing on all nodes... that'd be silly and would completely undermine (omg pun alert!) the entire Time vs. Reward concept. But I do think seeing 4/4/4/4 Sandstone instead of 1/2/1/3 would be a little less frustrating for someone who has put in the time to level their stone-related crafting class(es) to to 100.

Edit: the other nice part about this change is it would preserve/increase the usefulness of reaping potions, because if they boost your skill enough they could potentially increase your minimum gather by 1.
    Last edited by Steele; August 19th, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Another thought, which I think has been floated and shot down as unbalancing (which I agree with), was this:

Stats add to adventure and craft skills... why not tie them to minimum gathering amounts? For example:

Statistic / 200 = minimum gather amount

Where Statistic =
    Strength for Mining, Quarrying (Stone/Gems), Logging
    Dexterity for Gathering, Fishing
    Power or Focus for Essence Harvesting, Quarrying (Crystals)

This sounds great on the surface, but the main problem (as I see it) with this setup is two-fold:
    1. If increasing the minimum is tied to a stat, then once you get a single class to L100 it'll make gathering in other classes way easier, thus increasing the ease of cross-skilling crafting classes (which is exactly what they don't want to do, if you look at how Lairshaping and Confectioner are modeled)
    2. It would unintentionally marginalizing a major purpose of the Alchemist class; the minimum gather would not only be unaffected by Reaping potions, but the usefulness of Reaping potions would be lessened because you've now given anyone with one or two L100 classes an "easy" boost to the gathering of any resource.

I'd rather see gathering skills tied to minimum gather, if it happens at all; much more fair and balanced imo.
    Just my thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    200,000? What're you trying to make, 50k maels?

When you're optimum at crafting a certain tier you can reach up to 15 slabs/ore/ess/ect in one swipe... I've always felt that someone who is optimum at t5 should be able to go and fill their disk and pack with t1 slabs on one resource node and then craft them 1:1, but it doesn't go past 15, I believe. XD

I'm not sure that I agree that size should effect how good one is at crafting; that only effects dragons anyways. Besides, size = raw strength =! crafting efficiency. At least, not always. There's finesse and skill involved, too.
    Hehe cobalt for 10 x t4 silos. So 3 ore per bars, it goes up fast, except the gathering.
    In 2 hours of gathering I saw 1x 16, 2 x15 / seems about 95% is below 10.
    Did a quick average from this morning's gather, and most nodes comes to around 6.5 ore per gather and maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 node has a bonus in it.
    No. was not suggesting it should depend on size. Poor dryads would be stuck on 1 1 1 forever
    Was just an example, that always seemed illogical to me that a lv 10 or so hatchling could gather the same amount of SandStone as a lv 100 ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    Was just an example, that always seemed illogical to me that a lv 10 or so hatchling could gather the same amount of SandStone as a lv 100 ancient.
    One could easily argue that Ancients are powerful, yes, but rather clumsy trying to harvest from such tiny nodes with such huge talons. An equally skilled Hatchling could make up for not having brute strength by being much more precise in their harvesting - thus wasting less raw material.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    One could easily argue that Ancients are powerful, yes, but rather clumsy trying to harvest from such tiny nodes with such huge talons. An equally skilled Hatchling could make up for not having brute strength by being much more precise in their harvesting - thus wasting less raw material.
    OOH I don't know.. I'm rather skilled at carving my food in nice bite size for myself or my hungry hatchlings. Come to my lair some day I'll show you.

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    OOH I don't know.. I'm rather skilled at carving my food in nice bite size for myself or my hungry hatchlings. Come to my lair some day I'll show you.
    Sure thing, but don't get any ideas... keep in mind I'm a Dwarf, not a Gnome. Even the meatiest Dwarves are Drunk & Hairy - eating one is kinda like eating an old, frayed Brillo pad soaked in moonshine... not sure the pain will be worth the pleasure. *grin*

*we now return this thread to its regularly scheduled topic* LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    I'm not saying L100 crafters should be getting minimum 10/swing on all nodes... that'd be silly and would completely undermine (omg pun alert!) the entire Time vs. Reward concept.
    How's that? Time = all that work you put into leveling up to 100.
    Reward = 1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1....
    <----clicky!

I would be over joyed if the poor starving cows would just give more meat then the chickens!!
    Blacknite - Chaos

Thread Information