Thread: Veterans' Rewards

Default Veterans' Rewards

Most games I have played had these. Every year, usually close to the anniversary of "launch" folks who had been there one, two, three or however many years would get some sort of Veterans Reward.

I think it is a nice incentive to keep players active and interested. Rewards could be as simple as something like 50 of every Tier 5 potion to something as exotic as a "mastered" speed increase buff. There must be dozens upon dozens of rewards that could be given out; I'll think of a few right now.
    1. Your choice of specially colored armor dye kits.
    2. Your choice of special fast and/or high capicity cargo disks.
    3. Your choice of special weapons.
    4. Your choice of Novians with the amount you get tied to the Tier you choose.
      • 50 Thornwood Timbers
      • 100 Yew Timbers
      • 150 Maple Timbers
      • etc. etc. you get the idea
    5. Lottery and/or Raffle tickets for various drawings to win things like:
      • Tech Components
      • Rare Resources
      • Rare Weapons or Armor
    I'll stop there, see if other have some more suggestions. Anyway there is a lot of fun to be had in things like this. The festivals are great but I know some were disappointed in the last one just outside of Tazoon. Open things up a bit and peak the interest of just about everyone with the possibility of getting something they REALLY REALLY would like to have!

Maybe I missed this while I was away so forgive me if this is already in place or has been discussed.

Default Re: Veterans' Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by QuO View Post
    Anyway there is a lot of fun to be had in things like this. The festivals are great but I know some were disappointed in the last one just outside of Tazoon. Open things up a bit and peak the interest of just about everyone with the possibility of getting something they REALLY REALLY would like to have!
    Personally, I'd love to be able to build miniature versions of either the Artifact of Magic, or Artifact of Stone - just for the look.

Now that I'm thinking about it... similar metal or stone statues of Dwarves crafting or in battle stances would really rock for adding flavor. They don't have to be huge or anything - maybe 1/3 the footprint of a Gazebo or something and maybe about as tall as a small Dwarven house.

Of course, if we get Dwarves I'm sure the other races will want similar... could be a very pleasant can of worms to implement tho; would be awesome for plot customization, though admittedly more work than Dragon lair murals. Kinda like scaled down versions of those statues in Tazoon; in the same vein.

Some of the best "veteran rewards" are visual and add flavor, but won't tip the balance of power or cause re-tuning issues down the road (gotta be careful with weapons and armor, unless they're purely costume pieces). I remember how sought after "Coal" became in UO as a collector's item - it was one of the possible "gifts" that were part of the annual Christmas festival. Ah, memories...
    Last edited by Steele; August 20th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

kewl new fluff for plots is always good by me!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Being able to drop add or build some type of fluff decor for our plots lairs is aways a fun one & lets u show it off that u are a vet
    Blacknite - Chaos

Fluff rewards are always good, NOT special cargo disks or novians though. We could get more shoulder pets, special dyes, special forms for 'everyday' clothing, statues for plots, new hair colours/scale colours...
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Veteran rewards are already ingame, you just have to look out of your box.

What about those items that you have in your valut that you can't get anymore? Those formulars that aren't obtainable anymore? What about the events that you joined?

Time and memories make Veterans out of us, not just items.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

As long as the items are attuned to the individual, for his/her/its personal use, then I am all for it. Since most of us have been playing MMO's for some time now, I dont need to elaborate as to why...

No game I play for a significant amount of time has veteran rewards. I'm sorry, you'll all have to wait until I quit.

I do want veteran rewards, too.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by pevil2000 View Post
    Fluff rewards are always good, NOT special cargo disks or novians though. We could get more shoulder pets, special dyes, special forms for 'everyday' clothing, statues for plots, new hair colours/scale colours...
    abosolutely agree with this!! i believe i can be considered at least a young vet - certainly haven't been around as long as some, but been here for many moons - but no way do i want anything that would be too 'special' player rewards should never be epic level anything, that belongs in game available to all who want to do the quest (make the quest as hard as you like, tho).

player rewards should never be anything but fluff, ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Veteran rewards are already ingame, you just have to look out of your box.

What about those items that you have in your valut that you can't get anymore? Those formulars that aren't obtainable anymore? What about the events that you joined?

Time and memories make Veterans out of us, not just items.
    totally agree, tak - but as a draggy player who has been ingame in one fashion or another longer than me, you saying you wouldn't like a nice shiny emblem or gold plaque for your lair entrance that sez whatever (within reason, of course) you want it to? a personalized mural for your lair grand hall? some shiny interesting bauble to play with?
    memories are important and never go away, and no one is saying otherwise......but i for one really think it would be awesome to have something special to shoot for! a newbie coming into game now would have inspiration to continue to play the game to get that plaque or shoulder pet or whatever that becomes available after 5 years.

and a dedicated player like that should be rewarded, don't you agree?

*adds in votes for emblems declaring who survived the trouble times of PMEI and the lack of Unity* hehehe. Old war vets we are, back in my day... *rambles off*
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I would not mind having a shoulder cow/maggot/parrot/spider... wait.. cross the spider I DONT WANT TO HAVE A SPIDER CRAWING ON MY SHOULDER!! EEEKKKK..

I just wanted to point out that being veteran is not all about items, but I would not mind them

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I think this is a great idea. Having incentives for long term customers is practically a must-have. I wouldn't even mind seeing some of them epic weapons/armor/items after a certain timeframe. Granted, they'll have to start at a couple months and stretch it back to beta timeframe for those of us that have been around the block a time or two or 1,800 day's worth.

I think items ARE what the game is all about.. community is what happens if the game is good and the content keeps customers around... things like sticking around for the last piece of a weapon, trying for a demon claw, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by QuO View Post
    I think it is a nice incentive to keep players active and interested.
    Are you implying that the game is no longer satisfying your interest to play anymore unless you get perks.

...*sigh*,-)...
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by whosha View Post
    Are you implying that the game is no longer satisfying your interest to play anymore unless you get perks.
    only in the same way that eating no longer satisfies hunger unless you get ice cream.

oooo ice cream!!

thank YOU, awdz, for participating!!!!

*completly off topic laughs at Velveeta's post*

Soraii

Quote Originally Posted by whosha View Post
    No, that's the bribe that may keep someone around when all else fails.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Thread Information