Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murals for Bi-peds!!

Default Murals for Bi-peds!!

OK, I am jealous...I would love to be able to decorate the interior of my Saris mansion with a painting or two (or 10 ) but i am pretty sure that would fall under the "furniture" category and as we all know, Istarians dont need anything comfortable to sit on (just playin' devs ).

But seriously, are there plans (even remote plans) for sharing a bit of this pie with us 2-legged indivuduals? I mean, if dragons can do it, why cant we do it??

(envisioning a "velvet-Elvis" just below the staircase...heh heh)

Default Re: Murals for Bi-peds!!

Pssttt.... bipeds have had decorative items for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Pssttt.... bipeds have had decorative items for years.
    Yeah, gimmeh first my crystal garden chamber

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Joining Shian and Takora to say bipeds already have more than their fair share of fluff structures.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Joining Shian and Takora to say bipeds already have more than their fair share of fluff structures.
    Saying bipeds had their fair share, ok, I could go with that, but excuse me, MORE than?? I really don't get those rather unkind remarks. But, if making them makes you happy ...

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Saying bipeds had their fair share, ok, I could go with that, but excuse me, MORE than?? I really don't get those rather unkind remarks. But, if making them makes you happy ...
    By "more than", I mean they have always had far more than dragons have ever had. Ergo more than their fair share. Dragons have nothing except tapestries, and until this month they only had one of those.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

If you'd rather be technical Sigi, bipeds have 3 variations of boulders, three different fencings, 2 fountains, 2 gazebos, 4 different floor colors, all different variants to build a walkway with, 2 archways, 14 different fall festival decorations, 12 winter festival, 25 different trees and now bipeds want the only thing that's been given to dragons for years other than a single depressive mural?

The only thing we -can- place are murals. Certainly not trees or fall pumpkins or walkways or any of that sort of fluff.

'sharing the pie' is hardly the word I'd use for it. Bipeds have had pie for numerous years. Let dragons have thier small slice that has been a long time coming.

There is someone just asking a - he thinks - harmless question. Within 3 answers it boils down to the (I think totally chewed out) dragons are underprivileged subject.
    The lesson learned in the past years is to never never ever ask for something dragons can or have, that's a no go area or you have to be someone who likes to open a can of worms. Now added to this lesson is to never react in such matters.

In case it wasn't clear. I think there is a difference between reactions #2 and #3 and reaction #4 <- the one I reacted to.
    Last edited by Sigi; August 22nd, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

i've long wanted to put murals in my house... even better would be putting in screenies in the main guildhouse, since we've taken guild photos over the years and it'd be really cool to be able for visitors to check out a half dozen pictures on the walls there.

it would be really neat for dragons to have more lair flair too, like crystal formations, lava critter shapes or dangling roots in hallways. there's always more we can think up, no? ;-)

I'm just curious why the idea that bipeds have had their 'fair share' is even an issue at all. New fluff is a good thing, yes? Why does it matter if dragons have more or less? Is the biped taking something from dragons by asking for murals as well? I just don't get it.

As to what this thread is actually about (and it isn't dragons), this sounds like it would need to be part of furniture. The only other way I can think to do this would be having multiple versions of the same structure, one with paintings and one without for example. Awdz's idea of an actual screenshot gallery is really neat, but I doubt it would be feasible since every image would probably need to be added to the game itself.

The reason murals are doable (as it is now) by dragons and not bipeds is basically that the murals are like another structure. They take up an expansion slot as if they were building a room. Paintings for bipeds would have to be something inside an already built structure, so it would need a different system that would probably be the one furniture could use.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Yay!!!111oneoneoneeleven

Another biped vs. dragon thread *grabs popcorn*

You know... the dragons here are right... Their lairs have 1 mural for decoration, but bipeds have bushes, trees, gravestones, pumpkins, gnomekindle trees, presents, skeletons / blights, walls, flooring, all sorts of eye candy for their plots.

Dragons have murals... and built chambers with waterfalls / lava / sparklies which aren't "eye candy build fluff" but part of the chamber itself.

I don't know why.... but every time they put something in for dragons, there has to be 1 biped that thinks they are being jilted out of something

*shakes head*
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

The only reason I speak of fair share and such is that I dislike it when people appear to fail to appreciate what they already have.

Stop the bipeds vs. dragons argument or this gets locked & moved to rants.

Dragons got the murals because it is the nature of lairs to have unused chamber openings all over the place. The endcaps that go on those unused openings happen to be perfectly suited for decorative textures.

Biped plots don't have anything comparable to an endcap. Adding any kind of decorative item means adding geometry to the scene. That's the big difference: endcaps are going to be part of the scene anyway; they aren't added geometry. These are simple texture changes to an existing model.

There has been discussion of adding additional fluff items and decorations for both bipeds and dragons, but that's all that I'll say on that topic. No, there's no time frame available.

Please feel free to talk about decorations you'd like to see, but keep it constructive. Thanks.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

y'know, 'more than your fair share' is just an expression that isn't actually unkind in anyway... just means they've had it is all. Play nicely hehe

Anyhoo yeah paintings and stuff would be cool, though obviously it'd require an overhaul, or even just an option for different 'skins' for the houses/chambers. After all, a dragon can have different versions of the same room by picking lunus or helian. While I know bipeds can with some of the houses, some they can't. Put in some really decorative things, like the jewelworking shop, couldn't they get a pretty stained glass type construction like that but as a house? I'd still love to see furniture etc added in at some point though...
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by pevil2000 View Post
    y'know, 'more than your fair share' is just an expression that isn't actually unkind in anyway... just means they've had it is all. Play nicely hehe

Anyhoo yeah paintings and stuff would be cool, though obviously it'd require an overhaul, or even just an option for different 'skins' for the houses/chambers. After all, a dragon can have different versions of the same room by picking lunus or helian. While I know bipeds can with some of the houses, some they can't. Put in some really decorative things, like the jewelworking shop, couldn't they get a pretty stained glass type construction like that but as a house? I'd still love to see furniture etc added in at some point though...
    speaking as a biped player, i agree we have more types of fluff and more choices within those types than draggys, and that is even if you count the 'residual' fluff from lair rooms. i do not begrudge anyone from having more fluff, i would love and heartily endorse any new fluff of any kind.
    and forgive me, but there are much better things to get all emotional about than this!
    i do not believe 'furniture items' will ever be in game. this does make me a little sad - it would be sweet to actually have tables and a bar in my tavern and to have a real throne to sit on - but the over haul it would require does not seem worth it to me. so i try not to miss what i can't have.
    something that hasn't been mentioned (or i don't remember it being) and maybe feasible, is not furniture or paintings, but maybe different style patterns for buildings... like different style patterns for the saris houses and manors, etc. that would be kewl, i think. i think most of us would agree that being able to choose something other than the current library building would be kewl!

anyway - this has never been a draggy vs ped thing. most peeps (ry is not most peeps! ) would love more fluff. let's think about fluff that would be even remotely possible to appear on the pony list.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

More Fluffies is always a good thing!! BRING ON THE FLUFF!! ROAWR!!

I must say I was glad to see - in the recent letter or whatever - them working on holiday decorations for lairs...that will be awesome. I always thought the "front area" in front of a lair would be cool to add things like pumpkins or xmas trees to...not sure how that works in the engine though...

I think some of the more "hey you already got yours" responses may have come from the use of the "envy/jealous" statement by the OP. Instead of say starting the thread with a "hey can bipeds have paintings too at some point?"

WHich as LO pointed out - different dynamic.

Hrm..perhaps something could be built on the outside of buildings that is like a "freestanding" mural/painting/picture/whatever. It could back right up against an outside wall, but actually be a seperate "build structure"?

Then you could put them outside any building or silo??

Yea its not "Inside" but its still wall decoration!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Lots of furniture is in game, and its on the pony list to be able to add it to biped housing. For now they do not want to do it since it would add to the general lag in towns. Once they get an updated graphics engine which 1) Only draws whats visible, and 2) utilizes DirectX/ New GPU capabilites to accelerate things, then furniture would likely become a priority.

NPC houses have the paintings and furniture. Some of its pretty nice. Theres some good stuff on the old starter islands in the Halls of "something". Biped houses wouldnt get "Murals" they would be "Paintings" and/or perhaps even "Wallpaper" (which could apply both inside and out. Think Bricks, stone slabs, or even adobe looks, among others (that more creative people can conceive). Would be nice to get away from the ugly "human guildhouse" thats all over the place...

In a seperate suggestion, to spawn a variety of housing built instead of so darn many "guildhouses" built everywhere: Give all houses/guildhouses of each tier, the same stacks/bulk capacities. Construction requirements of the currently Lower bulk/stack houses could be raised to equal the "work" needed to build the guildhouse. Therefore the only difference would be in the appearance. My god istarian towns would become much prettier if this happened

As things stand right now, I'd really prefer they didn't look into adding more visual fluff for the time being. Lag may not be a problem for some of you, but not everyone has nice fast internet and wonderful problem-free computers. >_>

Once they improve the graphics system, though, I say go for it. Furniture/decorative murals would look neat inside buildings. Dragons could get some more interior decorations, too.
    <----clicky!

The lag affects anyone. I have a dual core processor, 4gb ram, cablemodem, 9800gx2 video card, and the game still gets laggy after awhile. The more ports, the worse. (I play in 1920x1200 res). To get decently playable performance I keep max draw distance usually around 350.

A faster computer helps, but the lag is there for all of us. So I can undertand the aprehension the dev's have for furniture at this time. I do hope an improvement to the graphics engine takes place. Maybe get John Carmack to make it his pet project, he could bang it out in a week probably.

I must admit, I didnt look at it from the viewpoint of "decorative items for one's plot/lair". My intent wasn't to resurrect the old argument over "Draggie v. two-footer: who has more?" I, along with many of the bi-ped community are glad that the "Scaled Ones" now have the murals. I saw it as an "interior decoration" only, and not as "fluff" for the contribution to the entire plot. But, being that the Lairs are entirely "interior decoration", I should have taken that viewpoint prior to my initial post. For that I apologize and have gained a new perspective! Wonderful!

When looking at the big picture- yes, we "two-feets" do have many more options for decoration of the entire plot- and there are so many well-designed and asthetic ones there, for sure. My hope is that, in time, we will be able to get a similar ability for the interior of our buildings.

With all that aside, sure would be neat for draggies to be able to decorate the opening of the respective lairs with, oh, i don't know- large gold bricks, arches, etc!

Thread Information