Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Murals for Bi-peds!!

Default Re: Murals for Bi-peds!!

sure would be neat for draggies to be able to decorate the opening of the respective lairs with, oh, i don't know- large gold bricks, arches, etc!
    oh yes... and bushes or boulders if they want it to appear more hidden, claw marks to show something big & dangerous lives there, skulls of all the kinds of creatures they've slain in battle... wowsers, cave entrance possibilities go on and on when i start thinking about it!

I may self think, if they ever get the time some day, would make great door hangings like I have seen in the past. Since biped have no doors this might be nice use for them and give them a little privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    I may self think, if they ever get the time some day, would make great door hangings like I have seen in the past. Since biped have no doors this might be nice use for them and give them a little privacy.
    I love the carpet-door at the cloth shops on the biped plots, it makes so much fun to run through them

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

i want a tapestry depicting the isle of aubadrine... or maybe the entrance way to the portal for the isle of alged, i love waterfalls... *goes off imagining tapestry designs and where she'll find the colored thread to weave them*

mmm claw marks yea!! Arches!!

I want Statues! *grins*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Stop the bipeds vs. dragons argument or this gets locked & moved to rants.

Dragons got the murals because it is the nature of lairs to have unused chamber openings all over the place. The endcaps that go on those unused openings happen to be perfectly suited for decorative textures.

Biped plots don't have anything comparable to an endcap. Adding any kind of decorative item means adding geometry to the scene. That's the big difference: endcaps are going to be part of the scene anyway; they aren't added geometry. These are simple texture changes to an existing model.

There has been discussion of adding additional fluff items and decorations for both bipeds and dragons, but that's all that I'll say on that topic. No, there's no time frame available.

Please feel free to talk about decorations you'd like to see, but keep it constructive. Thanks.
    I would love to see corridors with festival/fluff themes. I've suggested several times the various rooms that would be nice to see. (I'm sure they're parsable in the search tabs) but they are actual rooms.

If we're talking decorations for end-caps, I would love to see:
    Pumpkins!
    A Scary halloween mountain with lightning
    Several different poses or profiles of various monsters in the game (each one individually selectable as an end-cap)
    Various phrases on a mural.. like Crafting.. Exit this way, Home is where the scorched earth is, Take off your scales and stay awhile, Death and dismemberment here, Don't lose your head (with a picture of a dragon biting it off), Home sweet Lair, etc..
    Don't forget the snowcapped window mural, the endcap that's a stand of flowers (or at least looks like one), a thickly woven set of tree trunks or roots (since you're underground), an end cap that looks like.. just dirt compressed against glass maybe with some worms trails in it, and one with dirt and.. a coffin? Or a skeleton? staying in-line with the underground theme there.
    And, of course, no end cap collection would be complete without a mural that looks like a corridor to another room.
    Just a few ideas.

How about an endcap with a picture of hoard on it? (Various piles of gold, swords etc.)

Or eggs to indicate that the current lair chamber is a hatchery?

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    How about an endcap with a picture of hoard on it? (Various piles of gold, swords etc.)

Or eggs to indicate that the current lair chamber is a hatchery?
    Both are really good ideas...

I really like the hoard one; I mean, make it in the same vein as a library - high stack limit but low bulk - and you can put only "Simple Item" item types in there (yes, thus excluding crystals, backpack pouches, etc)... this way the items can still be put in and pulled out. Now... the HV of the standard hoardables are just attributes associated with each item type, right? And stuff in HZ is rendered in real-time right? Have the hoard pile in the room change its displayed graphic depending on the total HV of all the items placed into storage! It sounds like the technology should already be in existence to support this, no?

This way Dragons would have something "Fluff" to do with any excess hoard over-and-above what they need for max combat effectiveness.

The hatchery would be neat too... are you thinking just for show, Shian? Or is there a way to make it kinda sorta functional also?

...and I just realized you meant murals, Shian. I'm sorry, I misread it as new room types - which I think would be REALLY cool too!
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Well we've been asking for those types of rooms for a while. If we can't have the rooms, maybe we can still have the idea, no?

Sure murals would be nice... but having them as rooms would rock.

Braingeyser:
    The hatchery thing could be tied to a world event... maybe a WA strike against the rookeries of Chiconis and Dralk. <Insert storyline here> Maybe the eggs would become corrupted by being kept in the deepest parts of the Eastern and Western Blight, and from being assaulted by powerful WA magic. To prevent the spawn of an army of zombie-like dragons, the Gifted have to come together - bipeds augmenting Dragon efforts to unleash powerful magic which, sadly, effectively kills the unborn hatchlings within those corrupted eggs, but "purifies" them by turning them crystalline.

The eggs would then be special items; exceptionally rare random drops (or perhaps very special quest rewards) from "intelligent" WA mobs, not the common racial rabble; maybe Kwellens, Wraith Masters/Liches, Abominations of Pain/Fear/etc. and some Named bosses. The bejewelled eggs would be attuned, non-hoardable, and specifically for placement within in this room, which would have similar stack/storage as a library. The room would then display the specific eggs placed within based off of their specific IDs, or if that's not feasable perhaps the eggs could be given a hidden numerical value similar to HV (or maybe a HV without being flagged hoardable?)... and the room could be told how to render itself (i.e. which eggs to render) depending on the numerical total.

You could ensure that a Dragon doesn't get multiple of the same type by using a right-click-for-quest-credit type tracking system... only receiving one of each would in that fashion prevent the room from getting confused by multiple of each type of egg. Kinda the way those four old CONF recipe quests worked; just make them completable only once so the reward appears in your inventory a single time.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled thread.
    Last edited by Steele; August 26th, 2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: wording/clarity
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Well we've been asking for those types of rooms for a while. If we can't have the rooms, maybe we can still have the idea, no?
    I'm planning on some additional fluff lair chambers down the road, including the often wanted hoard chamber among others. Not exactly sure of the functionality of it, but we shall see when it happens. I'd rather have a real chamber than a picture of it on a wall.

But, to get back on what was the original topic of this thread, I wish that I could make lots of paintings for the biped structures. But the system for it does not really exist at this point. It was on the pony list since release, I believe, along with furniture. However, I would like to hear ideas for decorative structures for biped plots. I can't promise when or even if any of these ideas will be made but I would like to have a good list for when some free time is available. The simpler the idea, the better chance it will have of becoming reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    I'm planning on some additional fluff lair chambers down the road, including the often wanted hoard chamber among others. Not exactly sure of the functionality of it, but we shall see when it happens. I'd rather have a real chamber than a picture of it on a wall.
    Bah! I need a larger lair! *runs off to make space in her lair* <_>

Would love if it would display like the hoard picture the size of the hoard, but it is not nessecary. I just want to sleep in a pile of gold and gems !

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    but it is not nessecary. I just want to sleep in a pile of gold and gems !
    There's your functionality, Solitare and I second it Fluff is good. Or, as was previously suggested, maybe make it like a library where it can only hold bulk 1 items or only hoard items.

Hmm... Maybe have the chamber act as an NPC that gives out a random armor or weapon so may times a day. A 'raidable' lair. Not sure how Istarians work in that regard though.

Might not want to jump the gun too fast, Takora :P

I'm planning on some additional fluff lair chambers down the road

Though I hate to derail the thread... I always wanted to see an area in a Lair that showed dragon's hoard state I don't play a draggie normally (my hatchie is lvl 21 - been that way for 2 years lol) but it would be very cool to walk into a lair and see a big mess of coins/gold/treasure/baubles... now that's my definition of fluff

Heck - go crazy and have "add to hoard" available for anyone that wants to donate to a dragons kit, without them being online. Just pop into their lair, double-click the "treasure pile", throw on your dragon goodies, and get out of there.

Whoa - a functional use for "fluff"? Sorry to derail the thread, just popped into my head and thought it would be an interesting idea (though I'm sure someone has mentioned this on several other threads previously, so much good stuff on these forums!)

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    The only reason I speak of fair share and such is that I dislike it when people appear to fail to appreciate what they already have.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Stop the bipeds vs. dragons argument or this gets locked & moved to rants.

Dragons got the murals because it is the nature of lairs to have unused chamber openings all over the place. The endcaps that go on those unused openings happen to be perfectly suited for decorative textures.

Biped plots don't have anything comparable to an endcap. Adding any kind of decorative item means adding geometry to the scene. That's the big difference: endcaps are going to be part of the scene anyway; they aren't added geometry. These are simple texture changes to an existing model.
    and more to the point: this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarsgo View Post
    I mean, if dragons can do it, why cant we do it??
    As to this. this is something that people need to stop saying. it would cut down on sooo many ranting arguments if people stopped using this line (or the reverse for that matter)

dragons get one set of unique toys, bipeds get another. so long as both sets of toys are functional and playable without having to borrow bits from the other camp (which by the way, they are not, but that's another argument) everything is fine. if you have a biped and you want dragon shineys, go roll a dragon. if you're a dragon and you want biped fluff, go roll a biped.
    Last edited by Shur; August 29th, 2008 at 11:16 PM.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    if you have a biped and you want dragon shineys, go roll a dragon. if you're a dragon and you want biped fluff, go roll a biped.

totally with shur about this - one of the most beautiful things about horizons is that it is 2 games in one. having played both a ped and a draggy (admittedly a hatchie, but that's my point, in a way), both are very different in all ways.
    if you think one race has something the others don't, that's because they do - that's the way it is supposed to be. even with fluff.

and i, for one, like it that way.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I'm thinking.. and I could be wrong (only a dev would know for sure) that the more simple the suggestion is as far as a fluff structure/mural/lair addition the better the chance of it being implemented.

The murals are, in my opinion, a great start for getting lairs on track for some good changes. I have some high hopes given all the feedback on new rooms/structures... and for even more murals in the near future.

Course.. the resource requirement for a piece of cloth (on a rock that would be the normal end cap anyway) seems a bit steep considering you throw a dozen or so endcaps in a lair and you might as well be building a Lair structure that has some functional aspect to it rather than 12 pieces of cloth.

I think 1 of each building component would be more than enough. But that's my opinion on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Though I hate to derail the thread... I always wanted to see an area in a Lair that showed dragon's hoard state I don't play a draggie normally (my hatchie is lvl 21 - been that way for 2 years lol) but it would be very cool to walk into a lair and see a big mess of coins/gold/treasure/baubles... now that's my definition of fluff

Heck - go crazy and have "add to hoard" available for anyone that wants to donate to a dragons kit, without them being online. Just pop into their lair, double-click the "treasure pile", throw on your dragon goodies, and get out of there.

Love the first part... btw if we look at the dragon vaultkeeper in Dralk he has a nice niche with a load of treasure so maybe the higher the tier the bigger the pile.
    Don't like the second part. I dont want anybody to mess with my hoardpile, no matter the good intentions!!

But to get back to the whole mural for biped idea.
    I like the idea, indeed like everybody else I don’t like the lag all those ornaments create.

For a few weeks I have been wondering about something.

Would it be technically possible to allow an �upgrade� of a existing player build biped or dragon structure or chamber?
    The idea behind this is not to add stuff in the structure like paintings on the walls which might add to lag, but to replace the old empty walls with new pre-designed walls which have paintings on it like the dragons have murals. It might still add to lag, but less then many seperate items.

If it could be technically possible then I have a few ideas.

A few ideas of pre-designed inner walls for biped houses:
    - Only Wallpaper (of various designs)
    - Only Wallpaper with maybe a mirror or a painting.
    - Various types of weapons or Tools hanging on the wall (not necessarily those you have yourself).

- Mixture of above

My ideas of pre-designed upgrades for Lair Corridors:
    - Give upgrades for higher tier corridors.
    A higher tier should give smoother walls and more ornaments like Blue or Red gems or crystals on the side of the floor and of course imbued in the ceiling and sidewalls.

The Lair chambers or (guild)house should continue to allow passage through , but could lose its function until construction for the upgrade is complete..

Personally I don’t think a snowman is a very interesting ornament for a lair, so that is the reason I chose for this idea instead of the boring corridors we have now. It is always open to discussion of course.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Negative, that is called furniture. And there is no system for players being able to place it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Holy undead threads Dragonboy! This is an old thread.

Hoard chambers were, and I hope a tech they are looking at still. But they wanted to do it right from the start and that would require a tech upgrade. Which I hope in time they can get back to.

On your upgrade idea. No the tech is not in to do that other wise I think it would be used to upgrade tiers of buildings instead of tearing a building down and rebuilding it. Other wise they would have to build X numbers of each building each with a "wall paper" in it. With X being the number of diffrent wall papers.

Thread Information